It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
(male)

chrishawaii HB User
Elevated AST/ALT- increased testosterone

Aloha from Hawaii! I have hypogonadism and take testosterone replacement therapy. Androgel 1.62% to be exact. My GP recently switched from the 1.00% version to the 1.62% new formulation in the last month. I just got my lab work back and my total test is off the charts with the new formulation at 1300 with normal range being 200-900. My AST is 42 (normal 0-40) and ALT 62 (normal 0-41). We did a complete blood work up and all of my other levels are normal. The Androgel product brochure does mention that elevated liver test can occur so even though I drink (prior to this, my AST and ALT levels drinking the same amount of alcohol were always normal) i'm thinking the new test replacement therapy I'm doing has to be the culprit. Follow up tests are scheduled in 2-3 months. I am starting to take the supplements Liv52 and Karsil. Any thoughts on "my" elevated test theory causing the high enzyme levels?

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
(male)

Robert32asp HB User
Re: Elevated AST/ALT- increased testosterone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishawaii View Post
...I just got my lab work back and my total test is off the charts with the new formulation at 1300 with normal range being 200-900. My AST is 42 (normal 0-40) and ALT 62 (normal 0-41).

Any thoughts on "my" elevated test theory causing the high enzyme levels?

Thanks,
Chris
That is as good an explanation as any. Your AST is so close to normal and an ALT of 62 isn't really scary.

I would relax, cut back on drinking, refrain from heavy exercise for 8 days prior to the next test and expect that your results will be better. If they aren't then talk to your doctor. Again, your ALT is just mildly elevated.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
(male)

chrishawaii HB User
Re: Elevated AST/ALT- increased testosterone

Thanks for he information! I appreciate it. On a side note about "normal", this is something to think about. I just spoke with my girlfriend about this and she is a drug rep for Hepatitis drugs and has been doing it for a decade. She explained it to me like this. The normal range really doesn't mean much especially since labs are all different, sometimes by 30-40%. Anyway, she said everyone's "normal" is different and just because you are in the normal range for a lab doesn't mean that's necessarily your normal range. For instance, if you've had tests before and you ALT is 15 or so a few years in a row but now you are on medications and your ALT is 45 (which is normal range for some labs), you are 3 times your normal. I've never thought about it like that but it was an interesting perspective and I think knowing what your normal is off of meds and now on meds might a good indicator of if it is truly high or not. Just food for thought!

Thanks again

Last edited by chrishawaii; 10-11-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Closed Thread