It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
(male)

water4ever HB User
ALT 44 and slight pain in upper right abdomen & under right rib cage

Hi All,

I use to drink a lot 2 years a go and then I quit and every thing went normal with ALT - 24 and AST - 20 (in ultra sound they said fatty liver, but then with good liver result doctor never followed on any thing).

From last two months I am having pain in upper right abdomen (which goes in right rib cage too) and after eating my right side chest feels very tight. This happens sometimes.. not always.. and the pain is also not acute, its mild. Also, my upper right hand side back (only right hand) feels a bit different (please note that side of back on the same line is perfectly normal - and I dont feel any sensation).

When I went to doctor she did Liver test, and it came back with ALT - 47 / on a scale of 36 max (and AST 25) in November, and yesterday I got it tested again and it came back with ALt - 44.

Now I am not sure if this higher ALT is related to this abdominal pain, and is this abdominal pain is just gastric or something related to pancreas.

I am 30 Male, I smoke 3-4 cigarettes a day and I drink couple of beer/packs on Fridays - almost every weekend.

Folks in the forum, can please suggest what is this may be??

Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User
Re: ALT 44 and slight pain in upper right abdomen & under right rib cage

Fatty Liver is epidemic now days, and from what I've read on the subject, the reason is the switch in the (fast) food industry from saturated fats and oils to polyunsaturated fats and oils (especially canola) combined with the switch from sugar to high fructose corn syrup in all things sweet now days.

All fast foods used to be fried in beef tallow, but in the last few decades everyone switched to trans-fats and then later to "stabilized canola" oil. Canola oil has been found to destroy all vitamin-E in the body, and it is vitamin-E that prevents "lipid peroxidation" of polyunsaturated fats in the liver. Canola oil is now also used in margarine and salad oil, making things even worse.

Polyunsaturated fats and oils are supposed to be better for your heart, but your liver actually prefers saturated fats, and a liver full of polyunsaturated fat with no vitamin-E to prevent lipid peroxidation becomes rather unhappy very easily.

Alcohol generates "acetaldehyde" as it is metabolized in the liver and this acetaldehyde is a very powerful pro-oxidant when it reacts with polyunsaturated fats and oils. This nasty mix is causing substantial problems for many young people who consume a lot of fast food, and drink more alcohol than may be good for them.

The last two ribs in your rib cage are known as "floating ribs", as they are not attached to the sternum like the other ribs are. These floating ribs are however attached to the vertebrae in your spine, and a fatty liver that is angry and swollen due to lipid peroxidation will push these floating ribs out, "torquing" your spine and causing back pain, as well as the pain under your ribs.

The solution is to either avoid all alcohol, or greatly reduce your consumption of polyunsaturated fats and oils (especially canola), and also cut back on high fructose corn syrup. Deep fried foods, margarine, and salad oils are where you are most likely to get massive doses of polyunsaturated canola, and soft drinks are where you will likely get overdosed on high fructose corn syrup.

Supplementing with vitamin-E may reduce lipid peroxidation, but enough canola will destroy even supplemented vitamin-E. It's an unfortunate state of affairs for young people now days who tend to live on fast food and drink to excess, but if you do your research on this matter, you will find this is indeed what is most likely causing America's fatty liver crisis.

Best of Luck to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to BillinSD For This Useful Post:
rufous57 (01-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
(male)

water4ever HB User
Re: ALT 44 and slight pain in upper right abdomen & under right rib cage

Thank you Sir for a detailed reply!

So it's most probably nothing to do with pancreas - right? FYI, all Pancreas test (Lypase, Amylase, CBC, Biblrium.. etc ) are all normal!

I am convinced by this floating rib theory - because in the back side, I feel pain only right side of back & that was confusing for me.

Other ppl in forum, can please share their opinion.

Closed Thread