It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
(female)

denise7172 HB User
CT scan shows spots on liver... worried and scared!

Hello everyone. Not sure what is going on with me? I have been having upper right quadrant pain on my right side under rib cage. I had my gallbladder removed in 2008. My Dr sent me for a CT scan and the results came back that I have several small spots on my liver, they are very small. All bloodwork and liver functions are normal. My Dr wants to do another scan in 3 months, I guess to see if they have gotten bigger. Well, that just isnt going to work for me! I am a very well known worry wart! I am already making myself sick with worry. My father died of bladder cancer six years ago and I have countless other family members that have died or are fighting cancer. I also had melanoma on my arm a year ago and just had a melanoma removed from my wrist recently, both pathology reports came back clear, the Dr removed it all, thank God!
I guess what my question about this is, has anyone else had a result of spots on liver and what was the outcome? What could be the cause of spots on the liver? If my bloodwork is good, should that be a good sign that my liver is ok? I just worry with the family history of cancer and my history of melanoma...any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
(male)

cheffyd82 HB User
Re: CT scan shows spots on liver... worried and scared!

Hey There

you can ask you GP or hepatologist to run the standard tumor marker which is AFP alpha fetoprotien that will help diagnose Hepatocellular carcinoma AKA HCC can you post the lab results with reference ranges? is your bilirubin elevated? ALT? AST? alkoline phosphate? GGT? if they are all normal then its very likely that they could be hemangioma's which is a common benign tumor which causes no symptoms
another test which you can have done is called a tri phasic Cat Scan of your liver this should help visualize the lesions in question and determine pathology

i my self am dealing with two liver tumors one which is 5mm in size and has been diagnosed as hemangioma and the second one which is 1.8cm and non specific its a weird one because the mri classified it as a malignant tumor but the tri phasic ct didnt pick it up! my hepatologist told me the basic standard abdominal ct will is not suitable for diagnosing liver tumors at the end of the day if your still worried ask for MRI which is the test most dr go by!

my only advice is be your own advocate if 3 months is not good for you i would seek a second opinion!!

hope it helps

i have learned through lots of research and talking with dr's how to interpret my liver function tests.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
(female)

Jaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB User
Re: CT scan shows spots on liver... worried and scared!

I am a worry wort myself and if I were you I would get a second opinion. 3 months is a long time to wait. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Closed Thread