It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

Armchair HB User
Scared for next Friday

Hi new friends,
Let me first say that you have already helped me by reading your posts... my feeling of panic has diminished somewhat so for that I am grateful. I am a very active 50 year olf female... I've run half marathons for years and have been training for triathlons this year. I was a heavy drinker for at least a decade and haven't had a drop of alcohol for 2 years and four months after a scary fall that sent me to the ER. After a physical and because of my history of drinking my doc (is happens to also be an internist) decided to do bloodwork including a comprehensive metabolic panel. My AST was 42 and my ALT was 47, both flagged as high. My bilirubin, albumin and proteins normal, cholesteral unmedicated at 175. She sent me for bloodtests to see if I tested postitive for hepititis, but I've never touched a drug and if I've ever had it, I didn't know it. Bloodwork was done Wednesday, no results back yet. She is sending me for an ultrasound of my "abdomen" to see what my liver looks like and to look for "tumor markers" which is the part that makes me panic... I've got a week to wait and just wanted to check in to see if you had any pearls of wisdom to calm me down while waiting for this test. My husband says that I'm as healthy as a horse and I couldn't train the way I do each week if I had something wrong with me. Your thoughts? Thanks in advance for your time. Have a wonderful weekend

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
(male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User
Re: Scared for next Friday

AST and ALT if high are over by maybe a point or 2. Thats really nothing. Im surprised they are even sending you for ultrasound without any other elevated labs.
Also, exercise and training will cause elevations in those numbers.

Last edited by Hypochondriacyy; 02-26-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
(female)

Armchair HB User

Thanks so much for your quick reply. You have put my mind at ease and I will go into this ultrasound trying to view it as a precaution instead of viewing it as a scary event. Thanks so much again and have a Happy Sunday. As I get my additional bloodwork back and feedback from the ultrasound I will post it and hopefully will help others in some way. Take care

Old 02-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
(male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair View Post
Thanks so much for your quick reply. You have put my mind at ease and I will go into this ultrasound trying to view it as a precaution instead of viewing it as a scary event. Thanks so much again and have a Happy Sunday. As I get my additional bloodwork back and feedback from the ultrasound I will post it and hopefully will help others in some way. Take care
Yes moderate exercise is know to elevate AST and ALT.
Those elevations are nothing to be alarmed at. They can and do get into the 100s.
Then the AST is double or triple your ALT then you have a problem.

Last edited by Hypochondriacyy; 02-26-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
(female)

Armchair HB User

You're teaching me a lot ( I love learning, I'm a teacher). Thanks so much for the time out of your day to help" You don't know how much you've helped. Now, I'm off for a seven mile hill run Have a fantastic day

Closed Thread

Tags
elevated liver enzymes, liver ultrasound