It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
(male)

chrisnewton HB User
Very worried - High Bilirubin

Hi all

I am a 37 yr old male and have had this hanging over my head for a few years now. About 5 years ago i had some routine blood tests and i was told that on my liver function test, that one value came back high, but was told it was nothing to worry about and sent on my way.

2 years ago, i has some more routine tests and was told again that one value was high, this time i pushed them on it and i was told that my total Bilibrubin was 37, and in the UK the normal is 1-17, everything else was normal and again i was told its nothing to worry about and i will be ok.

So a few months ago i was told i was going to have some more routine tests and this time i decided before the test to stop drinking alcohol a month before the test and see if this would bring this high reading down.

I am NOT a heave drinker at all, i have maybe 5-6 cans on a friday and thats it, never drink during the week etc. Anyways my results came back yesterday and yet again this bilirubin figure is high, and again its 37. The rest are again all normal. I dont have any pain etc and am not overweight and feel fine, but i am a natural worrier. I am scared to death i have liver disease /cirroisis etc.

My doctor has just told me to drink glucose drinks and not to worry. Can this be liver disease i have? i cant sleep because of all this in my head.

Thanks for listening

Chris

Old 02-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
(male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User
Re: Very worried - High Bilirubin

Take my advice, I am also a hypochondriac and worry about my liver. YOu went to your doctor and he told you not to worry about it. He is your doctor, TRUST him and don't worry. One thing I have learned is that asking questions in these forums will not give you reliable answers. Your doctor knows you better then the people on these forums. You probably have Gilberts. I am not familiar with the European scale for normal. My bilirubin runs high normal. If you had a problem you would have other things out of whack too. Thats why your doctor wasn't concerned. Plus the fact that this is a long standing thing with you and didn't just develop. By looking at your numbers it looks like the elevation is very mild.

The problem with these forums is, I guarantee someone will respond and say that they had the exact same thing and latter found out they were in end stage liver failure. You know what I'm saying?

Just believe your doctor, thats what you pay him for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
(male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User
Re: Very worried - High Bilirubin

Chris just curious, did they fractionize your bilirubin? Or was it just total?

Closed Thread