It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

chuckyface HB User
pain under right side under ribs

i have been experiencing pain for the past couple of weeks right under my rib cage. it's to the point where i need to take a tylenol to get rid of the pain.

i had gone to the doctor about eight weeks ago to have some blood work done. he did advise me that my levels of my liver results were a little high but not something he was concerned about at the moment, but that he would check again in six months time to have my blood work done again. i am not sure if this would be related to the pain

Old 04-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: pain under right side under ribs

Hi, I've had the same pain before and my gall bladder was checked and found to be "sluggish" so I had an ERCP test done where they go in and open up the ducts. If you're still having that pain I'd ask to have the gallbladder checked out, maybe an ultrasound to check for gallstones or now they do an MRCP in lieu of an ERCP I believe (MRCP is done like an MRI I think). One way to really check is to limit your diet to low/no fats for a couple of weeks and see if that helps. I know an inflammed gallbladder can cause liver enzymes to elevate my best friend just had her taken out and went thru that. Hope this helps, CJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
(female)

chuckyface HB User

I also have pain on the right side of my back. it comes and goes

Old 04-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User

Ahh... Pain under the ribs on the right and right side back pain (probably feels kind of high, like the mid back rather than the low back, right?).

Well, the last two ribs of your rib cage are not attached to the breast bone. These are called "floating ribs". Everyone has these, but when your liver is enlarged, it pushes out on these floating ribs which "torques" the vertebrae in your spinal column where these ribs are attached in back causing your back pain.

Enlarged livers are usually enlarged with fat, and fatty liver is very common now days. Your doc can order an inexpensive and painless ultrasound which can "size" your liver, as well as see its fat content by the type of echo it gets.

Fatty livers are caused more by too much sugar, (especially high fructose corn syrup) than by too much fat. There is an ocean of data and tips on dealing with fatty liver on the web.

I'm not a doctor, but this is my best bet!

Good Luck to You!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
(female)

tdevine05 HB User

I too have pain under my right rib, I have had this problem for many years, it is related to my gullbladder and eating fatty foods,,,,the best solution I know of is to drink anti acid solution such as Mylanta, it really does work, or carry around some tums in your pocket,,,,,my pain is chronic, no stones just the food I eat,,,,,,hope this helps,

Old 09-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
(female)

kittypurry HB User
Post Re: pain under right side under ribs

I wish to chime in on the "pain in the right side of the abdomen just below the ribs" conversation.

I've had it intermittently for years, but lately it's gotten more persistent. It frequently wakes me up in the night and I usually wake up with it, though it usually goes away after standing up for a while. I am always fiercely thirsty in the night, so I often get up to drink whole glasses of water at a time (and also to pee) two or three times a night.

Things that make it worse include alcohol, soda and any kind of sleep aid or sedative. Occasionally it includes a burning sensation, like acid, but localized to the right of my spine, about two inches to the right, right below the ribs, somewhere in between my front and back.

It seems to go away on vacations! Which makes me suspect the drinking water here. So I'm going to try getting some bottled water for a while and see if that helps.

I had a recent physical and asked for a liver panel, which returned normal. That leaves me to suspect either my gall bladder or pancreas. I'm going to ask for some tests of those organs next.

Meanwhile, I will try the suggestion of avoiding fatty foods for a while and see if it improves.

The Following User Says Thank You to kittypurry For This Useful Post:
roydog10 (11-03-2012)
Reply Reply

Tags
pain under right rib cage