It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Foodman HB User
HIGH AST, ALT, and LDL

Hi,

My AST and ALT levels keeps getting higher. Only once did it (AST) go down a little. Here is the history of my levels. They did an ultrasound but they didn't tell me anything was wrong. When I first did the test, it was high, then I did it a week later while fasting (12 hours), and the AST went down just a bit as you can see by the dates. Then the doctor told me to wait a few weeks and take the test again after the ultrasound and make an appointment to see her (my doctor) within a month. I can't figure out why my AST, ALT, and LDL levels keep getting higher, and QUICKLY.

I don't know if my medications affect the levels. I take about 30mg morphine each morning for my pain from a permanent injury a while back, and 15mg in the afternoon. I also take 40mg of motrin and 25mg of acetamenophin in the morning. I take propanolol 40mg and hydrochlorothorazide 25mg too in the morning. I NEVER drink or smoke,and I don't have cirrosis or hepatitis. I can't figure out why this is happening. I hope my doctor won't give me bad news when I see her in a few weeks. Does anyone have any information as to why these levels keep getting higher?

AST - Standard range 10-40 U/L
1/22/2011 36
4/20/2012 80
4/28/2012 74
5/16/2012 96

ALT -Standard range < 36- U/L
7/28/2009 40
7/28/2009 41
1/22/2011 71
4/20/2012 136
4/28/2012 146
5/16/2012 185

LDL -Standard range < 129- mg/dL
4/28/2012 99
5/16/2012 103

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
(female)

Tulip21 HB UserTulip21 HB User
Re: HIGH AST, ALT, and LDL

In 2009, were you taking the exact same medications and same dosages as today? Why were your liver levels tested initially? Was it because you were starting a new medication?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Foodman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip21 View Post
In 2009, were you taking the exact same medications and same dosages as today? Why were your liver levels tested initially? Was it because you were starting a new medication?
I was injured in February 2009, and they gave me medication (morphine) for pain (been taking it since) for it. The list I listed were all the tests done for the AST and ALT levels and their dates it was done. As I said before, I don't know if the levels are high because of new medication. I've done some internet research and haven't seen anything that indicates that the medications I take could elevate my levels.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
(female)

Tulip21 HB UserTulip21 HB User

Perhaps the daily use of acetamenophin, even though 25mg is a very low dose, in combination with the other meds is a contributing factor. The good news is you know it's not cirrosis or hep c. Your doctor doesn't sound overly concerned which is good news as well. Let us know what she says at your next appointment.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tulip21 For This Useful Post:
Foodman (05-17-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Foodman HB User

They told me that my ultrasound shows fat in liver, and they told me to please work on weigh loss and follow up with her. I like to eat food that taste great, but the thing is that those types of food have a lot of fat and cholesterol. I have no choice BUT to lose weight before the symptoms worsen and my liver gets worse.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

what they probably said was you have a "fatty liver" which is not great but people can live with a fatty liver for years and years. But a high fat diet is one of the causes so now you really need to make some big changes to your diet. The liver is remarkable at healing itself unless you get to a cirrhosis stage, I was told about 5 years ago I had a fatty liver but my tests come back normal now so you can turn this around. Once you start eating lower fat foods your palate adjusts and you get used to it, and after a while you'll find that heavy greasy food just isn't that appealing anymore when you haven't had it for a long time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captjane For This Useful Post:
aguada (06-11-2012), Foodman (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Foodman HB User

That's my biggest obstacle - adjusting my diet. Just today I bought two takeout orders of Thai food (like spicy foods). They have chicken, pork, and some sauce to bring it all together. I usually order pizza every other week. For the past few weeks I've eaten McDonald's breafast meals, a brunch of roast beef sandwich, and a then a big meal for dinner. Since I'm a picky eater, my BIGGEST challenge is to find healthy meals that taste great. Or ways to make them. My BMI (Body Mass Index) is perfect, it's just that all the weight or fat tends to gather around my waist area. I can't seem to get rid of the excess fat in my waist area for the life of me.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Foodman HB User

It's still getting higher even though I'm taking a lot of soluble fiber, exercising, and eating less. I had a blood transfusion a while back and was wondering if that could be the cause. Does anyone know if a blood transfusion could cause these constant elevating in AST and ALT levels? Also, they mentioned nothing of consenting to a blood transfusion, they just told me that I needed it because of my surgery.

Closed Thread