It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
(female)

jujumcm HB Userjujumcm HB User
pancreatitis questions

hi all,
I have been suffering on and of with pain in my upper abdomen since march. My last attack lasted for 13 days.
heres how it would go. wake up with a warm boaring pain in the centre of my abdomen. eat normal bfast then nothing till dinner. this kept it away because the more i ate the worse it got.
after dinner (always) id get pain that would get progressively worse till bedtime. my stomach would be hard and sore. belching would relieve it a little. i wouldnt be able to get comfortable in any position. it came to a head on friday night were i felt really unwell and in excrutiating pain. went to the er and i was admitted into hospital on sat.
been there since. finally today they named pancreatitis as the cause but a mild case. the pain i was in last night would not be described as mild. it was the worst pain ive ever felt.

my questions
im fasting how long will i have to do this

im of my meds for uc. will they introduce them back and wait and see what happens

they seem to think itll settle on its own and i wont need further treatment. but ive had numerous episodes since march. i could be back to square 1 next week. is there no other treatment for it.

thanks for reading this essay and thanks in advance for any responses.

ju

Old 06-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User
Re: pancreatitis questions

I'm not a doctor, but I've been studying up on the relationships between excess iron and copper and lipid peroxidation, which often affects the liver and pancreas. When I saw you had other posts, I looked at a few and noticed you used to have a copper coil IUD, and this caught my interest.

Copper and Iron help balance one-another in the body, and when one is low, as in a menstruating female who may be low on iron, the other, copper, can often rise to levels much higher than it would in someone with a proper iron/copper balance. Copper coil IUD's have been shown to increase copper in the body and this is something I would look into!

Both iron and copper are STRONGLY associated with pancreatitis, and if you google around on copper and pancreatitis, you may find some clues as to what might be going on in your case.

Even with your copper coil out, you may still have a lot of stored copper floating around from your copper coil days as the body can't get rid of excess copper easily.

You may wish to ask your doc about testing for blood levels of copper and ceruloplasmin (a copper carrying protein in the blood), as well as a "ferritin" test for stored iron. If iron is low and copper/ceruloplasmin is high, reducing your copper levels could help. I would definitely NOT recommend upping your iron, as this could make things MUCH WORSE. If you're taking vitamins with iron, I would stop this unless you are severely anemic and your doctor orders you to continue on iron.

There are a couple of supplements that can chelate copper. I believe NAC and IP6 are the two most common ones I've seen. IP6 will chelate iron too, so if you're low on iron you might wish to avoid this one. Don't go overboard with either of these two supplements! One, or possibly two 500-600mg caps per day on a very empty stomach with a full glass of water is all you need.

It is also unwise to chelate minerals for more than a month at a time without "cycling off" for a couple weeks to allow your body to stock up on trace minerals that may be lowered by these chelators too. Learn more about chelation before you do this for any extended period of time. You may want to supplement low dose magnesium (citrate) and low dose zinc, taken at different times of the day from your chelators too to avoid deficiencies in these vital minerals.

Avoid foods high in copper as you chelate excess copper from your system. Google for more on foods high in copper. Chocolate, shellfish and coffee are three I can think of off the top of my head. Beer is also high in copper as it is often brewed in copper kettles, but I'm sure your doc has already advised you to avoid alcohol with pancreatitis.

Lipid peroxidation is the problem these metals cause that results in inflammation of the pancreas, and Vitamin-E, Lecithin, and Alpha-Lipoic Acid are three other supplements that are known to help control lipid peroxidation. Again, no need for mega-doses... Just enough to do the job is fine. Be sure your vitamin E is "natural" form and not the "dl" synthetic stuff.

Your doctor may poo-poo your questions about testing for metals, but a wise man (Sherlock Holmes) once said: "Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth". Be sure and tell him you wore a copper coil, and for how long and this may convince him to look into this possibility of excess copper further.

Best of Luck to you!

Last edited by BillinSD; 06-19-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: addition

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillinSD For This Useful Post:
jujumcm (06-19-2012), sjb (07-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
(female)

jujumcm HB Userjujumcm HB User
Re: pancreatitis questions

thank you for your reply. it something to think about along with the pile of other possible causes. i would certainly like to know the cause before im let home otherwise i could be back in within a month.

Closed Thread