It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
(female)

jconway101 HB User
Unhappy Elevated AST and ALT

I was diagnosed with rhuematoid arthritis in January and started on methotrexate. I was have bloodwork to check my liver monthly. It was fine until April when I went to ER with abdominal pain and was told I had an inflamed gallbladder and gallstones and elevated liver enzymes.I stopped methotrexate. I had my gallbladder removed in April and at the time they thought my elevated liver enzymes was due to my inflamed gallbladder. It has been a few months now and I just had bloodwork done a couple weeks ago and my liver enzymes are a little higher than before surgery. My dr said I cant take the methotrexate anymore because of my high levels and wants to put me on Enbrel. I had a abdominal ultrasound and it came back normal. My dr said oh you probably just have a fatty liver. But the radiologist didnt mention a fatty liver on my ultrasound report at all.Just said it was normal. All Iwant to do is find out why my enzymes are elevated for sure and the Dr doesnt seems to even want to do anymore tests. Im so confused on what to do. I need advice please. I'm worried to start a new medication

Old 06-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Elevated AST and ALT

Hi...what exactly are the readings of your AST and ALT?
I believe there is a specific ratio of the two and what it could mean.
Did you have ALT/AST before you were on the methotrexate?

Regarding your liver, etc...you might want to push for an MRCP to see if there's anything going on in there that might not be able to be seen via ultrasound.

I don't have any experience with Enbrel....the only way you'll know is to try it. I can truly understand your reluctance to try a new med.
q

Last edited by quincy; 06-22-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread