It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
(female)

jazzypam HB User
Question Is this a sign of death near???

Hello ... My mother has had alcohol cirrhosis for 6+ years. She is now in a nursing home full time because she needed 24/7 care and I couldn't provide it for her any longer. She has been doing pretty good in the home until last week. She fell and broke her pelvis. She is now in the hospital and the doctor is talking about getting her into a rehab center for a few weeks while it heals. Today, however, she was running 101 temperature and she's still very drugged up on pain medication because the pain is so intense with this break. She isn't able to communicate much right now, but I think it's probably more the medication than the disease.

I've noticed one thing that is a bit troubling to me. Tonight when I visited her both of her hands were in a half fist position. Her fingers curled towards her palms. Her color isn't too good either, quite pale. Does anyone know if this particular hand position is a sign that death is nearing? I'm hesitant to think that way because the doctor is still talking and planning rehab, etc... if she was really in danger of passing away seems like he would say something to me about that. Has anyone experienced the hands being half closed near the end of their life? Thanks a lot for any responses.

KC

Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Is this a sign of death near???

How sad for your mother.

It's possible it's a symptom of a stroke (but you said both hands). With a fever, she would feel cold...it would maybe be just a reaction to that (I tend to clench my hands when I'm sick and especially if I'm cold with a fever),

Yes, I do know of someone whose left arm was crooked and held tightly against her chest with her fingers curled tightly. She was severely dehydrated and malnourished and full of cancer, and at that point in a coma before dying many days later.

You should definitely ask the doctors.

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread