It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
(female)

AtomicDani HB User
Liver Resection set for few weeks

I am so glad I found this message board. I recently found out that I have FNH the size of a grapefruit taking up the left side of my liver. I have had bad stomach issues for as long as I can remember that have gotten worse as I aged (I'm 26). They found my mass just a few months ago while looking at my stomach in an ultrasound. I had an MRI then a few weeks ago a biopsy and confirmed the mass was FNH. Yesterday I had an appointment with my surgeon who explained a resection would be my best option. She told me taking me off contraceptives would not reduce the size and what I did not know was about 6 years ago they noticed the mass in a CT scan when it was only 2cm. Now it's 9cm. I went ahead and signed all the papers for my surgery which will be scheduled late July. Though, I might postpone it until later August since my mother was just recently diagnosed with breast cancer and will be starting chemo in July and I would like to be able to help her. I was told I'd be in the hospital for about 4 days and no work for 4-6 weeks. I'm super nervous since the biopsy was pretty painful I can't even imagine what the surgery will be like! It's good to talk to people that are going through the same thing. I can use all the advice I can get, and I hope I can give some of my own to others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
(female)

Total31 HB User
Re: Focal Nodular Hyperplasia

Hi,
This is a wonderful thread, I am new to this site and hope to hear some good news from people who have had successful removal of live adenoma. Like you, I had elevated ALT levels in my blood and 2 weeks later have just had my first consultation with a liver surgeon. He has requested for me to go to have a MRI in the next few days to distinguish whether I have adenoma or FNH. Unfortunately however he thinks it is adenoma. I have been off bcp for 2 months, hoping to have our first child, the elevated ALT came up in pre pregnancy blood screening and luckily I have a gp who is on the ball. On all accounts the mass in my liver is very large but I think the surgeon wants to wait 1 month to see if it gets smaller since going off the pill, the scary thing is not knowing how long it has been there for. I am very scared about surgery as I am perfectly healthy and am worried how long it will take to recover. Like everyone else, it is great to be in contact with others with a similar condition. Hoping for a reply. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
(female)

AtomicDani HB User
Re: Focal Nodular Hyperplasia

I came on here looking for the same advice since I'll be having surgery to remove my FNH mass in four weeks. After researching through super old post (look for FNH post about 4 years old) I found a few helpful answers. My surgeon told me I will be in the hospital for about four days and recovery time is from 4 to 8 weeks. Good luck!

Last edited by AtomicDani; 07-04-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
(female)

cailea HB User
Re: Liver Resection set for few weeks

Prepare well!!

Recovery timescales will depend on whether you are having keyhole or not, I am guessing not by the size of your tumour!

Get people to come in and help, freeze meals etc. I could barely move for weeks due to the cut which affects stomach muscles and the tiredness.

It does get better but please take it easy, it is major surgery x

cailea

Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
(female)

AtomicDani HB User

Thanks for the advice. My husband is supposed to be my main caregiver (which makes me a little nervous). I will absolutely freeze meals before hand like you had mentioned. I'm also looking into buying a recliner chair to make me more comfortable napping downstairs. My surgery is set for August 2nd but I might have to move it back two weeks to make it easier on my husband with work.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
(male)

pbt140 HB Userpbt140 HB Userpbt140 HB Userpbt140 HB User

Dani, seems like you have done all you can. And I know that the waiting game is not easy. Hope everything goes well.
As stated this is major surgery. And with it being a serious procedure I would make sure that all bases have been covered.
I am sure you have the best doctors-- but my small advise to you would be 'get a second opinion'. (if you have not already done so)
Not that your doctor is wrong- but with surgery as major as this, a second opinion could not hurt.
>
Anyway best of luck- keep us informed after your operation to help others that will have to go through the same procedure.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:23 AM   #7
(female)

brittanyaus90 HB User

Hi Dani. Your story sounds just like mine! Im hoping to get another opinion from a private doctor and get mine removed soon.

Good luck with it all, please let us know how you go!

Reply Reply