It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
(female)

jadendestani11 HB User
Needing some insight regarding blood work and Tylenol use.

I have took Tylenol PM's for the last 4 years. I had blood work done last week and it. It showed HIGH PT,PTT, MCV and low MPV. Could this have anything to do with my liver even though my liver enzymes were normal? What has concerned me was I have been bruising pretty bad since October/November.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
(female)

jadendestani11 HB User
Re: Needing some insight regarding blood work and Tylenol use.

Anybody?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
(male)

pbt140 HB Userpbt140 HB Userpbt140 HB Userpbt140 HB User

not ignoring you. just do not have any knowledge about your question. Hopefully someone with some info will be sending you a message soon.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The high PTT and PT could be related to liver function as that is where your blood clotting factors are produced. It could also be from something else, including hereditary problems. You could have Vit K deficiency. Your MCV being high usually is caused by Vit B12 and/or folic acid deficiency. These levels can be measured in the blood. I would ask for those tests, and to see a hematologist about the prolonged clotting factors which are probably related to the bruising. The MPV is small platellet size, which has to do with blood clotting as well. I don't think taking tylenol every night, if that is all you take would do this, but until you have some answers and know your liver is ok, I would avoid it. You could just take the benadryl if you take that to sleep.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
(female)

jadendestani11 HB User

I started out taking 2 and over the years it has increased to 12. I've been taking 12 a night for the last year/ year and a half. I don't drink at all so in my mind I tell myself its not as bad as it would be if I drank.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

That dose is definitely enough to affect your liver! You can get an acetamenophen level
done on your blood, and I'll bet you are in toxic range. What is needed is to stop Tylenol altogether and examine the reason you are taking so much. If you can't sleep because of pain or insomnia, those problems should be addressed and treated appropriately so you get help without harmful effects.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User

They've just lowered the maximum daily dose of Tylenol form 4 grams/day down to 3 to reduce the overdoses that are occurring.

From what I've seen Tylenol PM contains 500mg (or half a gram) in each caplet. If you're taking 12/day this puts you at exactly double the maximum daily dose, or 6 grams per day!

This dosage is also more toxic if taken all at the same time rather than when it is spread out throughout the day.

If you're taking this just for sleep, it doesn't make much sense to take a med with all that tylenol in it. Time to start shopping for a better med for sleep (Ambien?), and if you've got pain, perhaps you might see your doc about an alternate med.

Good Luck to You!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
(female)

jadendestani11 HB User

The reason why I have taken so many is I've been on every sleep ade available anld tylenol id the only one that doesn't make me feel like a zombie or leave a god awful taste in my mouth that lunesta does. I've tried just the benadryl but for some reason it doesn't work. I've also tried melatonin(sp?) It would probably take a few years to do serious damage won't it? I'm going go have to look into something else. The bruises is what has me a little worried.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User

The liver can take quite a pounding and still recover, but once it is badly damaged, your good health can be gone for good. Liver damage is one thing doctors really don't have any good treatments for.

You would be wise to consider you're going to need to find a better way to get to sleep sooner or later. Fix this now and you'll probably be OK... How much longer your liver can take this punishment, no one can really say.

A visit to a cirrhosis support forum to see what folks with this disease go through every day might help you make up your mind as to how soon you want to start working on this.

Closed Thread