It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
(female)

florence5 HB User
pancreas problem or something else????

hello,
last year i started getting sick. the pain and vomiting got worse and they took my gallbladder out. i felt better as soon as i woke up and thats where the story turns bad. the day i came home from the hospital i had horrible pain in my upper abdomen. the drs thought it was from not passing gas and not having a bm. i took everything under the sun, they even did enemas.in the back of my mind i knew it wasnt that cause the pain was only from my sternum to the left about 3-4 inches. everything wakes up and i still have what i call ATTACKS. that started april 2011. at first they would come about once a week sometimes 2 weeks. now everyday. most days the pain is about a 4 to 6 and could last from 10 - 20 minutes and done or hurt for 10 -20- minutes and go for that time and come right back and last all day. pain starts under my left rib cage(sternum to left) feels like it grows. around my left side thru my back.starts getting hard to breath.after a big attack i can feel like there is something under my ribs.like its swollen.i can handle alot of pain but this makes me cry like a baby, the pain is off the charts.have no diarriah, i do start to feel sick to my stomach, does not matter what i eat or drink, pain is always in the same place and radiates around. now the last couple of big attacks the second it starts i feel pressure in my head like high blood pressure. last june they ran a test to see if i had, a stone lodge somewhere they missed.NO. they gave meds for stomach issues.NO, wasnt that. blood work shows nothing, but once the amylase was very high.but just once. no pain meds (even shots of strong drugs) dont touch the pain.i just had another ct last week, still waiting to hear.i cant take this pain anymore and the not knowing when and where the next attack will be.

PLEASE CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT TO ASK THE DRS TO LOOK FOR NEXT.i feel like im going crazy. thank you for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User
Re: pancreas problem or something else????

Hi Florence, sorry you are feeling so bad. I've had similiar attacks but it turned out to be pancreatis, which would show up on your blood work. The pain you describe sounds exactly like mine. It stops you in your tracks and you cannot move. My husband takes me to the ER as I am curled up in a ball. But my blood work always showed a high white blood count with elevated liver enzymes so they knew exactly what it was. Could you maybe have a blocked sphinter duct opening to the pancreas? I hope you get an answer soon and start to feel better. Keep seeing your doc or ER. With that kind of pain it has to be something they are missing. Any questions please feel free to post. Linda

The following user gives a hug of support to NJLinda:
florence5 (07-10-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
(female)

florence5 HB User

thank you.on recent trips the er i was told pancreatitis but again blood is not always bad. after reading other stories i have an appt. to ask about the sphincter of oddi. it all makes sense because it was 3 days after gallbladder removal it all started. it would not make a person so crazy if they just knew what was causing the pain.
Thanks again and i hope they can also help make your pain go away.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
(female)

ssdowden HB User

Could be pancreas, spleen, liver or a portion of the colon is over there also. I have pain in the same area, but no vomiting and it is not as severe as yours. Doctors keep telling me it is my IBS. Good luck, I hope they find out what it is and can get you some relief.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
(female)

lifepain HB User

I have chronic pancreatitis and it feels hirable hurts so bad that it makes you dizzy and throw up but throwing up just makes it worse. It could be your pancreas even if your blood work comes back normal.
The first two times I had an attack my enzymes where elevated but now every time I go to the ER now with an attack they run my blood get mad and treat me like a pain med junky because my enzymes do not became elevated anymore. If this Is the case for you, you will have to keep going to different dr until you find one who listens to you and does not just look at your blood work I recommend a good gastro dr. Your primary care dr will not know enough about the pancreas to diagnose pancreatitis with out the elevated enzymes

Sorry if I rambled on I have a tendency to do that when I am trying to make since sometimes

Old 11-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
(female)

lifepain HB User

I have chronic pancreatitis and it feels hirable hurts so bad that it makes you dizzy and throw up but throwing up just makes it worse. It could be your pancreas even if your blood work comes back normal.
The first two times I had an attack my enzymes where elevated but now every time I go to the ER now with an attack they run my blood get mad and treat me like a pain med junky because my enzymes do not became elevated anymore. If this Is the case for you, you will have to keep going to different dr until you find one who listens to you and does not just look at your blood work I recommend a good gastro dr. Your primary care dr will not know enough about the pancreas to diagnose pancreatitis with out the elevated enzymes

Sorry if I rambled on I have a tendency to do that when I am trying to make since sometimes

The following user gives a hug of support to lifepain:
lori coleman (11-29-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to lifepain For This Useful Post:
lori coleman (11-29-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
(female)

lori coleman HB User

Hi, i have been going thru something very similar and can't figure it out...do you have any swelling on the left side? I had this about 10 to 15 yes ago. my family dr. gave me 'Procrease" and the pain would go away in a couple days... now that i live here in Texas the dr's say that drug is too "dangerous?" I just wanna know what the heck is going on...it is becoming what i would call "chronic"

Reply Reply