It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
(male)

korea35 HB User
Drug Test Abroad

Hello

I just graduated from college and I'm about to go abroad to teach in Asia this August. Upon arrival I'll be given a blood test to search for drug usage/abuse. I'm not worried about that since I haven't done any narcotics in the past, but one thing I'm worried about is that they'll be testing for alcohol abuse.

As a recent college graduate, I've drank alcohol as if it were my water. I'm talking about some nights going at the double digit mark for units of alcohol consumed. I was a little above your typical party college student.

I'm 6'3 and was around 198lbs, so keep in mind that it took a good amount of alcohol for me to get drunk.

Let me give you a typical example of what a week would consist of
At least 7-9 units of alcohol: around 1-3 nights per week.

At several points I knew this was a problem but I figured I'd slowly phase out of it once I was out of college. Since graduation (late May), I've only had two nights of 5+ units of alcohol (one a month ago and the last one for the 4th of July). Ever since the 4th of July I haven't touched alcohol or had any urge to.

I'll be taking the blood test early August but by then I'll be a little over a month sober. I've been drinking tons of water, tea, and lemon water. I've been eating healthy lately and with exercise I lost 10lbs since May (currently 188lbs)

Should I be worried about this blood test? What are some things I could do to improve my odds of passing this blood test?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User
Re: Drug Test Abroad

The GGT liver enzyme test is a good marker for alcohol abuse in the short term, but after 30 days of no or very low alcohol use it usually has returned to normal.

AST liver enzyme is also a good marker, but again, this usually falls to normal within a month. IMPORTANT... Heavy exercise and exertion can bump your AST up as muscles give off AST enzymes when they are damaged (by working out) too. Best not to go to the gym for a week before the test!

The only thing I know of that might indicate alcohol use beyond 30 days MIGHT be "Carbohydrate-deficient transferrin" (CDT). I don't know how long it takes for this to return to normal, but I've read it can be the best indicator for alcohol abuse known.

Google around on CDT and see if you can find out how long it hangs around and what might be done about it.

Best of Luck to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to BillinSD For This Useful Post:
korea35 (07-13-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
(male)

NeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB User

Hi, I don't know much about the liver testing for over usage, But Ethel Alcohol will filter out at a rate Approx. 3/4 ounce an hour is what is in a can of beer or so.
That's why they say a drink an hour or don't drive for the DUI blood draw and such. you should be fine they just don't want to take the chance of having a teacher!! advising that has a habit, I bet that's all just my thoughts.

If you were a hard core as in dependent on it daily, they would find it in you or you would be in major dt's and would be rejected no doubt.
As a social drinker or something that shouldn't actually be a problem, as long as you don't smell like the Alcohol sweats going into class n stuff... But ya just stay away and you most definitely will be fine.

I'm sure they will do a full work up though, to insure you and guarantee the position will be covered by a responsible individual, as it sounds like you are good luck over there and enjoy your career move sounds like a good one.

Most people can pass their Probation test if the get hammered Friday, come Monday it's gone, but like was said the full work up could show up if you took that chance so do like you are and all should be well

Enjoy your time till the test and stop worrying about it Take care

The Following User Says Thank You to NeckIssueGuy For This Useful Post:
korea35 (07-13-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
(male)

korea35 HB User

thank you BillinSD and NeckIssueGuy for your inputs!
I didn't know that exercise and AST levels are correlated. should I lay off of the whey protein powder as well? I've been drinking at least 40g's of protein powder per day.

I just read that Milk Thistle can help lower levels that they look for in liver function tests. I'll be sure to buy some first thing in the morning.

please keep the feedback coming!

Old 07-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
(male)

pbt140 HB Userpbt140 HB Userpbt140 HB Userpbt140 HB User

This is just some advise. I am not sure what part of Asia that you plan teaching but being such a young person, I would get the hepatitis B vaccination.

At your age, I would be more concern with hepatitis than alcohol. Hepatitis can lead to liver damage just as serious as alcohol. Good luck

Closed Thread