It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
(male)

Greeneggs7 HB User
Confusion about ALP. Help please?

I got some bloodwork back and I was told that my liver levels are within normal levels. They circled CRP, GOT-PS, and GPT-PS, but did not circle ALP-PS.

My ALP-PS says it is: 302 U/L.

When I searched online, it said that the normal levels for ALP are 20 to 140 IU/L (from site to site, these levels are different, but generally around that much). HOWEVER, on the chart that I received from the doctor, there is a list to the left that shows what the different symbols stand for and what the "normal level" is. While all the website online said "20 to 140 IU/L" is normal, the chart I have said that "104-338 IU/L" are the normal levels.

I'm confused. The lowest "normal" level on my chart is 5x the lowest normal level on most websites. My ALP is within the normal level on my chart, but almost 2.5x more than the highest normal level on most websites.

What is with this disparency?

The reason I got this stuff checked is because my stool has been gray lately, of a very strange consistency, I've been having frequent nausea, and I have brief diarrhea about once or twice a week. I went to 3 different doctors. 2 of them told me I was fine. 1 told me that I may have a gallstone and should get a CT scan for it, but that the fact that I don't feel any pain in my chest/near my liver makes that unlikely.

The doctor gave me medicine that helps one's intenstines and, to be honest, I haven't had any nausea since I started taking that medicine, although my stool is still gray or brownish gray and an unusual consistency.

For some of my other data. My CRP is 0.3 mg/dl (which is apparently within normal levels, but on the high side). My GOT-PS is 17 U/L and my GPT-PS is 12 U/L. My BUN-PS is 12.9 mg/dl (apparently also normal).

Any help?

Last edited by Greeneggs7; 07-18-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Confusion about ALP. Help please?

The normal ranges on test results can vary from lab to lab depending on how the test is done. The alkaline phosphatase (alp) beomes high when there is an obstruction in a bile duct or hepatic duct, and the gray color of stool indicates that bile is not getting into the intestine the way it should. An ultrasound of gall bladder, liver, pancreas would be helpful in ruling out gall stones, or any other obstruction in the area where bile empties into the small intestine. I put more faith in symptoms than lab results, as the obstruction may be there but just may not be bad enough to cause an elevated alk phos. I would ask for an ultrasound to be done, and if normal, then a CT scan. I would also ask for an amylase and lipase blood test. These are pancreatic enzymes that can be elevated with some obstructions.

Last edited by ladybud; 07-18-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: additional info

Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
(male)

Greeneggs7 HB User
Re: Confusion about ALP. Help please?

Thank you for the quick reply, Ladybud.

The doctor told me to take the medicine 3 times a day for a week and if the symptoms didn't get better to come back and get a CT done. I had a CT done 4 months ago in March and it was made clear that I had appendicitis, but at that time, there was no gallstone (I had my appendix removed about a week later). That was one reason why the last doctor I went to did not think a gallstone was a possibility. The good news is that my nausea has gone away since I started taking the medicine I was given yesterday.

The doctor said that the gray stool may come from an intestinal problem instead of a liver-related one, but that ALP value compared to the standard values I saw online made me worry.

Last edited by Greeneggs7; 07-18-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Closed Thread