It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
(female)

Izzabella256 HB User
Unhappy Worried, 2 Recent Abnormal Liver Test results (High ALT,GGT) Query Alcohol Related

Hi Everyone,

This is my very very first post so please be kind to me

Iam posting because although I know there are several posts about high ALT Levels on here there arent too many posts asking the same questions as me.

I am now 26 and drink very infrequently. I may have half a pint of cider or 2 glasses of wine one week but then not drink for a good week or 2 so it is hard to say exactly how much I drink monthly but I would say maybe drink 4-5 times in a month maybe less but all within the UK drinking limits.

However when I was a bit younger I drank quite heavily starting from being 15 and having alcohol poisoning and being admitted to hospital overnight to going to university and binge drinking however I was not admitted whilst I was at university but I did have to go to A&E about 3- 4 times because I had drunk too much and was very dehydrated. Those days are definately behind me, I feel I can't drink to that extent anymore, I definately have a smaller threshold on how much alcohol I can take before I have to stop and so nowadays I sometimes struggle to drink a pint (should that be worrying?) however I have always been slightly worried about the affect previous drinking may of had on my liver.

In April this year so 3 months ago, I went to the GP's because I was pretty depressed, I wasn't eating, drinking and I was vomiting quite a lot. The doctor did a routine blood test to rule out any stomach problems and the results came back with an abnormal ALT on my liver test (she never said how high it was) and abnormal kidney results (she never said what was exactly wrong on there) I do understand that maybe the kidney results could of been a bit out of kilter because I was not eating/drinking much at the time it was done so this could of affected the results but I was more worried about the liver test because of the previous drinking.

The doctor asked me to have a repeat liver/kidney test and due to a lot going on in my life I finally got round to having my blood taken last week. I phoned up the doctor today for the results and a normally busy doctors surgery (I normally have to wait 2 weeks for a routine appointment) but the doctor has asked to see on Wednesday! (which Im finding quite worrying in itself!)

My symptoms have all disappeared and Im feel absolutely fine but I do find myself feeling sick for no particular reason sometimes (every now and again) which passes off itself (without vomiting) and I do find myself fairly tired out at lot. Im am overweight but I'm desperately trying to loose the weight by doing exercise 2-3 times a week.

The big question I want to ask is if I have stopped drinking heavily 3 years ago could my liver be affected from 8 years of fairly heavy binge drinking?

Has anyone had any similar experience? what happened?

I know I have the doctors appointment in only 5 days time to find out the results of the second blood test but I am worrying about this and any advice or posts would be really helpful and I will of course let you know the results on Wednesday when I get them. (I of course could be worrying for nothing!)

Many thanks in advance

Izzabella256

Last edited by Izzabella256; 07-25-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Better title for the post, better edited so easier to read

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User
Re: Worried, Previous High Alcohol Intake, Recent Abnormal Liver Test

Izabella...I would find out what your numbers are. Mine are high as well. My AST is 154 and my ALT is 73. You should call you doctor and find out~

The Following User Says Thank You to mommaoftwinsplus1 For This Useful Post:
Izzabella256 (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
(female)

Izzabella256 HB User
Exclamation Re:Worried, 2 Recent Abnormal Liver Test results (High ALT,GGT) Query Alcohol Related

Hey all,
Ive just got my doctors results and they said my GGT has risen from 140 to 240, my sodium is also low (they didn't say how much) since my last blood test 3 months ago.
They also didn't say what my other liver and kidney test results were.

They want to do a repeat blood test for
a Liver profile (albumin, billirubin, alanine, aminotranferase, alkaline phosphatise)
a kidney profile (sodium, potassium, chloride, urea, creatinine)
a calcium profile (calcuim and corrected calcium)
they also want to test my glycerated heamoglobin, serum osmolarity, liver antibodies, caeroplasmin, Iron studies, AFP, Alpha Antitrypsin and test me for Hep B, as well as do a liver scan an urine test.

The GP asked me about my drinking habits as she said a high GGT and low sodium could be because of heavy drinking but I said that I used to drink heavily 3/4 years ago but I now only drink 2-3 times a month really, she thinks that these results can't be due to my past drinking as the liver normally regenerates itself so my liver tests should be back to normal now so this maybe due to a non alcholic cause, I thought I may do a alcohol diary anyway just to track my alcohol and see how much I really am drinking incase Im drinking more then I realise, I will of course try and abstain from alcohol as much as possible till this is all cleared up but write down when I have a glass or two.

Im still pretty Asymptomatic (feel fine in myself) although I do feel quite tired sometimes, Im also overweight which I know could affect my GGT

Has anyone had anything similar? or any of these tests? Im quite worried about this but my scan maynot be for another 2 weeks so at the moment it is a waiting game till I have my scan, repeat blood test and urine test

Last edited by Izzabella256; 07-25-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: included more information, better title

Closed Thread

Tags
depression, tired, worried