It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
(male)

Lombardi23 HB User
Stressing about Liver Function Tests :(

So about 2 months ago, I went in for a physical. They did blood work because it was a while since my last visit. I didn't fast or anything, they never said anything. Came back my cholesterol was high, not overly high, but up and I had increased Liver Functions. I had another visit about a month later, mainly regarding the migraine medicine they gave me to see if it was working or not. I didn't have any migraines, so I didn't have to take it at all, but still went in. The doc informed me of my cholesterol more and said its manageable and to come back in 6 months and check it again.

So now with my liver functions. They retested and I said I didn't fast at all before and they said it doesn't matter for a liver test. Got the test done, couple days later called back and said it increased even more and to stay of alcohol for 2 weeks, and no tylonal (which i don't take anyway) and come back in. I'm a bit worried about this. I never got any numbers, so I don't know if its just up a little, or way up. I was taking a B-Complex Vitamin for the last few months because I read it can help with migraines. I wasn't even thinking about it and didn't tell my doc I was taking it. Could that be a problem? Also this last test was on a Monday, the friday/saturday before I was drinking ALOT at 2 Dave Matthews concerts. Could this affect the results too? I'm off alcohol and the B-Complex pills for the 2 weeks. I really just hope it comes back normal.

I have no pain or symptoms or anything at all in my side. No discomfort or anything irregular going on.

Thanks,
Adam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User
Re: Stressing about Liver Function Tests :(

Liver enzymes are very reactive/dynamic/fluid when it comes to alcohol...

Enzymes may be double the normal upper limits the Monday after a heavy party weekend, and it can take over a week or even two for them to return to normal.

The B-Complex shouldn't affect them unless you were really overdosing with them, your liver actually loves B-vitamins. I'll bet if you go in after two weeks clean your levels will be much better.

You really should ask for copies of your lab reports and save them for future reference.

In the future, I hope you're aware of the danger of mixing pain meds (for migraines) compounded with acetaminophen with alcohol. I know you said you hadn't done this before the current tests, but for future reference, its best to separate any alcohol consumption and acetaminophen use by 24 hours or so.

Most all prescription pain meds are compounded with acetaminophen and many don't realize this.

Also... If your doc wants you on statin drugs for your high cholesterol, you'll have to moderate alcohol consumption to next to zilch. Alcohol and statins don't mix either.

Last edited by BillinSD; 07-27-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: addition

Old 07-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
(male)

Lombardi23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinSD View Post
Liver enzymes are very reactive/dynamic/fluid when it comes to alcohol...

Enzymes may be double the normal upper limits the Monday after a heavy party weekend, and it can take over a week or even two for them to return to normal.

The B-Complex shouldn't affect them unless you were really overdosing with them, your liver actually loves B-vitamins. I'll bet if you go in after two weeks clean your levels will be much better.

You really should ask for copies of your lab reports and save them for future reference.

In the future, I hope you're aware of the danger of mixing pain meds (for migraines) compounded with acetaminophen with alcohol. I know you said you hadn't done this before the current tests, but for future reference, its best to separate any alcohol consumption and acetaminophen use by 24 hours or so.

Most all prescription pain meds are compounded with acetaminophen and many don't realize this.

Also... If your doc wants you on statin drugs for your high cholesterol, you'll have to moderate alcohol consumption to next to zilch. Alcohol and statins don't mix either.
Thank you for the reply. I really find it hard to believe my liver is that bad from Alcohol. I'm only 23, and Only started drinking since i was 21, and even then its 2 nights a week, few drinks. Rarely its any more than 3 nights. Also with the cholesterol, I was only a few points high, and said that if i lose 10 pounds that should make it go down. Which I need to lose weight and plan on cracking down on my diet.

I had 4 beers and a shot last Thursday night, and nothing since then. No alcohol and no pills of any kind...B Complex or acetaminophen since last thursday. I'm going to go in this thursday morning and get the blood taken. I can't go in on Friday, when it will be a true 2 weeks because I am going out of town for the weekend and don't want to wait until monday. Do you think the extra day is really going to make much of a difference?

Also anything thats smart to do the couple days leading up to the test? Any certain foods of liquid to drink? I heard apple juice is good, and of course lots of water.

Thanks again and I hope its down to normal!

Old 07-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User

"tincture of time" is the most important factor in getting your enzymes back to normal, but the single day shouldn't make much difference.

Don't work out or exercise for a few days before the test... Muscle strain can bump enzymes (especially AST) up a bit and cause a elevated read.

Hydration will affect the test too. Better hydration will "dilute" your plasma and help give you a lower reading.

I'm sure you'll have much lower levels this time around. Alcohol the night before the blood draw last time most likely caused the dramatically high test result.

Best of luck to you, and stay healthy!

Old 08-02-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
(male)

Lombardi23 HB User

Went in for the retest this morning after 2 weeks off alcohol and any type of medicine/pills. I got my past 2 results back and my ALT in May was 74, and 2 a little over 2 weeks ago it was 83. So hopefully the drinking 2 days before the test was the problem for the 83 results. I'll find out monday morning...

Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #6
(male)

Lombardi23 HB User

Got the results back yesterday after the 2 week no alcohol/medicine. AST was normal, and ALT was down to 40! Doc said they just want to keep an eye on it for the next year

Old 08-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
(male)

Way to GO Lombardi!

Sounds like you're on the right track!

Best wishes for a long and healthy life.

Reply Reply