It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User
What are the chances of getting a liver transplant?

MY friend has been drinker since I can remember, and she has been through a lot..including being put into a coma due throwing up blood due to acites. I guess they put her into a medical coma so she could sober up. I am unable to obtain you could assist me with, especially, what is the life span of someone who refuses a transplant and most likely would be refused at this point anyway?
She "slipped" and is still drinking, albeit just a coupla beers a day, which is far less than before. But still not good.
What are her chances of getting a transplant? Greater than less? I've offered part of my liver but she won't listen as she is mad at me. when I bring it up, as she "has no problems with alcohol" so, in your experience or in talking with your own doctors, is her life span going to be decreased without a new liver? Her doctors will not let me have any information unless I have Power of Atty. That's why I'm just asking your opinion I know I can't get P.O.A. I'm just asking for opinions and personal experiences.
Thank you.

Last edited by dogmom; 08-29-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
(male)

Alue HB User
Re: What are the chances of getting a liver transplant?

If she's still drinking, slim to none. Sorry to hear that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alue For This Useful Post:
dogmom (09-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2012, 02:30 AM   #3
(male)

jim76180 HB User

No chance at all. They are not going to waste a liver on someone with her attitude.

I don't drink and it took year after I was finally put on the list to get one. I was near death when I finally got it.

Her life span depending on what stage she is at is probably two to three years. It is a long, miserable, painful way to die. Even after my transplant my life expectancy is only 70% for 5 years, 60% 10 years and 50% for 15 years. There has only been 8 people who have lasted over 30 years.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

All of you--thanx for your replies.
May God be with you, Jim. Those statistics are certainly an eye-opener. I had no idea. She is stage IV. But she won't talk about it. As I mentioned, I've offered a chunk of my liver, but she doesn't think her liver is a problem and her doctor won't really talk to her about this being an alternative!
Why? She has alreay been to the hospital to be treated for ascites? Why have they not mentioned a loved one provided a part of their liver to save her??????

Reply Reply