It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
(female)

atlafg HB User
Possibly end stage liver disease?

How do you keep someone from drinking their self to death? My ex husband, who has visitation with our sons every other weekend, I believe may be suffering from end stage liver disease. I don't know what it will take for him, his girlfriend or family to do something....but then again, I know he has to want to take care of himself. I decided after this past weekend not to allow our children to spend time with him until he seeks some medical attention for fear that our kids find him in a coma or worse.

As a heavy drinker for several years, he was diagnosed with steatosis approximately 10 years ago, neglecting to tell the doctor an accurate amount of alcohol consumption. Has family history of alcoholism and death due to cirrhosis. We've been divorced for nearly six years and the kids have always talked about how drunk their dad was during their visits. As he lost his job over a year ago, I think he's been depressed and self medicating. It has gotten so bad that my oldest called me to come and check on his dad because he'd been sleeping for hours and when conscious was "out of it." I ended up calling 911 after seeing him passed out on the couch. He had lost a considerable amount of weight, had tremors, hands and feet very pale waxy yellow looking, arms looked like all the muscle had shrunk and when he came to couldn't focus and seemed disoriented and slurred. I found 3 empty whiskey bottles and an empty wine bottle in the trash. EMTs arrived and he declined any treatment.

Last weekend was the worst as of yet....one of my children called to say that he had a severe nose bleed, blood all over the bathroom. He had slept for nearly 18 hours straight and had a weird shaking spazzy thing (maybe seizure?) while unconscious. He has told our children that he is anemic (a diagnosis he says after he visited his GP after the EMT visit) and was taking some high dose vitamins to treat.

I've since found out from the kids that the nose bleeds have been happening in the last few months, along with abdominal pain, being out of it, not eating, sleeping for hours and hours at a time. Younger child says he eats baking soda out of his hand for his "acid indigestion." He doesn't write out the child support checks any longer because his handwriting had gotten so shaky. However, I've talked to him on the phone a couple of times in the last few months when he seemed to be fairly lucid, yet the next phone conversation he slurs and is like he's on something.

Can the mental confusion thing come and go? I don't know if his abdomen is distended from ascites or if he has any lower extremity swelling. I saw him briefly two weeks ago and he didn't look yellow or jaundiced but just very dark unhealthy looking skin coloring.

Surely the people that are close to him see these things going on? Everything the kids have told me about, I've researched and it all falls under symptoms of end stage liver disease. Why doesn't anyone do anything? How long can this go on before he ends up dying?

I guess maybe I'm looking for some validation as everyone else is in denial. Thanks for letting me rant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply