It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
(female)

brookevale HB Userbrookevale HB User
Seeking Sphincter of Oddi Relief through Sphincteroplasty?

Hi,

Please let me know if you have had transduodenal sphincteroplasty, know someone who did, or know much about this surgery. I was recently diagnosed 8 weeks ago with sphincter of oddi dysfunction through an ERCP with manometry. The doctor cut the pancreatic and biliary sphincters for the first time. I felt better for a few weeks, but am now feeling exactly the way I did pre-procedure. There is a reputable surgeon who recommended I go for the transduodenal sphincteroplasty surgery. I am seriously considering it as I don't want to be one of those people having to get multiple ERCPs with sphincterotomies. I had my gallbladder out 13 years ago and had SOD pain that entire time but learned to live with it. I was misdiagnosed with IBS. After having a baby last year, my whole digestive system shut down--vomiting, no appetite, nausea, abdominal pain. It got so bad I had to get a feeding tube to my small intestine to bypass the pancreas biliary area. I went from 140 pounds to 95 pounds. I am heading that way again and am pretty desperate! Please help by sharing any info with me.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
(female)

Golf Nut HB User
Re: Seeking Sphincter of Oddi Relief through Sphincteroplasty?

Hi Brookvale. My Doc wants to do a and ercp/sphinterotomy. I aou tell me what yom scared. Can yur outcome was?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
(female)

Hi,

I had the ERCP with sphincterotomy but it didn't work for me. My doctor told me before the procedure it's 50/50 whether it will give me relief. The procedure itself isn't too bad unless you are one of the unlucky ones (like me) who develop acute pancreatitis. Best thing to do is give your body time to rest and don't overeat after procedure. Give the sphincters opportunity to heal.

The Following User Says Thank You to brookevale For This Useful Post:
Golf Nut (11-11-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
(female)

I am 6 weeks post-op from my transduodenal sphincteroplasty and pylorus dilation surgery. I am still nowhere near where I would like to be, but getting a little stronger and better everyday. I have been relieved of the SOD pain/spasms. Once in a while I will get a twinge feeling in the SOD area, almost as though my body is trying really hard to spasm, because that is what it has been doing for the past 14 years, but can't as my sphincters have been cut and sewed open permanently. I ended up spending 4 weeks in the hospital. I contracted a bacterial infection and ended up in ICU. Also, I ended up with too much bile flowing back up into my stomach and small intestine. They couldn't get the loose stools under control. I have been home a week and a half and am still very tired and have intense abdominal pain from the surgery still. While in the hospital, I was given a picc line for iv tpn nutrition, which I am still getting. Unfortunately, I still have bad pancreatic pain--in fact it has been worse than ever the past few days even when I take my Creon (prescription pancreatic enzymes). However, I haven't been the best patient and have eaten foods I shouldn't eat like cookies, coffee, fats and dairy (things I couldn't tolerate prior to surgery and really shouldn't be eating yet). So, I don't blame my pancreas for being angry. I need to give her--and my liver--a good resting. I am going to try to do this today and tomorrow, but it is so hard since I have an appetite again (another success of the surgery). I will continue to update on my surgical progress so, hopefully, others can benefit from it. I hate when people post stuff and then never update.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brookevale For This Useful Post:
Golf Nut (11-14-2012), papergirl2 (11-24-2012)
Reply Reply