It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
(female)

jxxxxxx HB User
Pancreatitis?:/

Hi all.
I suffered from Pancreatitis at the age of 15 due to a car accident that therefore damaged my pancreas. Within a few days, it got back to normal. Now 4 years on, I have been very ill with numerous difficulties such as shingles, bladder infection etc. I seem to be getting the same pains I got when I had Pancreatitis. The pain is different to any other stomach pains I encounter. It is right below the breasts in the abdomen. It usually feels sharp/tingly and sometimes dull and it radiates into my back. It hurts more after eating and improves if I lean forward. I sometimes get nausea/sickness with it, I feel increasingly sluggish/tired and I have dropped weight. I have lost around 4 or 5 pounds within 2 weeks even though Im eating normally.
I did suspect diabetes at first as I had increased urination/thirst but it has been ruled out in a urine sample by my GP who says it does not contain the extra glucose.
I am going for blood tests next week to rule out Thyroid problems, Anemia etc. and to also test again for Diabetes. Im just at a loose end as to what this could be! It does not feel sore to press on my abdomen but when I get the pains there it does!
Im 19 years old and it is usually so rare in someone as young as I am and I dont smoke/drink!:/
I think the blood tests I am going in for will not be testing for pancreatitis so do you think I should tell the nurse I suspect it when I go for the test or just wait for the results?
Also when the GP tested my urine she said it contained white blood cells which means I very likely have a bladder infection. Is this connected in anyway? The pains in my stomach are in my abdomen not the lower part of my stomach. Thanks if you have any answers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User
Re: Pancreatitis?:/

"Amylase" and "lipase" are the blood tests your doctor should be doing for pancreatitis... Liver enzymes (ALT/AST) would be wise to look at also. The left lobe of your liver actually spreads half way across your lower chest / upper stomach, and a sluggish gall bladder could cause pain radiating to the stomach pancreas area. Pain after meals is typical of both gall bladder and pancreas problems.

Your symptoms should warrant a "Comprehensive Metabolic Panel" or CMP. This is the standard of care for someone presenting with your symptoms. If your doc doesn't want to do this, I would ask him why!

If your doc wants to keep up with the one or two tests per visit, I'd keep going back until you get to the bottom of this. Abdominal pain should not be ignored, and you shouldn't simply try to live with this and hope it goes away.

A bladder infection shouldn't cause upper abdominal pain or liver/pancreas inflammation. Point to where the pain is and say "up here, not down there". A bladder infection that has spread to your kidneys can cause pain higher up, but this is normally in your back or flank, not your stomach.

Best of Luck to you!

Last edited by BillinSD; 10-04-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: addition

The Following User Says Thank You to BillinSD For This Useful Post:
jxxxxxx (10-07-2012)
Reply Reply