It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
(female)

binkyholder HB User
Slightly high ALT/AST

Hello,

Just was at the doctors and told me my ALT is 46 and AST 51. She then asked if I was taking any herbs and I said a few. Told me to go off of them for three weeks and retest. If still high, will have to pursue other tests.

Should I be worried?

Old 10-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
(female)

shersita HB User
Re: Slightly high ALT/AST

For the moment no, but high level of liver enzymes means currently your liver is inflamed, when your liver is inflamed it is working very hard to develop all his functions and working hard for the liver in long term cause problems to the liver like NASH and if you don't take care NASH will turn into chirrosis and well...chirrosis don't need to much explanation. But, this happen in long term (several years) of permanent inflamed liver working hard.

So, that's why your doctor wants to low your liver enzymes. Some herbs and medications do increase liver enzymes, so probably your doctor want to see if the cause of your inflamation of liver is because of one of the herbs you're taking in case not, you should check out if you have fatty liver with an ultrasound, you do not need to be overweight to have fatty liver even slim people with bad habits of food can have fatty liver.

Also, if you drink this increase your liver enzymes too...For the moment don't worry, they're slightly elevated but you should not permit liver enzymes to increase higher, so try to found out the cause and cut it down.

Regards,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
(male)

berkeley3525 HB Userberkeley3525 HB User

Your AST is slightly elevated but your ALT is within the range of the Lab Report that I have which is 9 - 60. Your doctor has overreacted. This happened to me four years ago by a very young doctor just out of training. A much older doctor would have ignored the numbers. I did a simple liver flush each morning for a few months and the number decreased to within the range.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
(female)

binkyholder HB User

Thanks for your responses. I live in Canada and the ranges for ALT and AST in blood work is as follows:

ALT (<30) is considered high

AST (<30) is considered high

I wonder why they're so different than the U.S.???

Old 10-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
(female)

shersita HB User

As far as I know, normal levels in US are:

AST Normal Adult Range: 5 - 40 IU/L

ALT Normal Adult Range: 7 - 56 IU/L

Now, I have read somewhere that some labs use as maximum of 30 IU of ALT/AST for men and 25 IU maximum for women, because several studies made reveals that amounts of ALT/AST higher than those ones, indicates current metabolic syndrome that with time could develop in hypertension, hyperglycemia, cardiovascular disease, and other's, so this is why maybe in Canada use the maximum of 30 IU ALT/AST instead of the typical 40 and 56 of US since in US only objetive is to find out how inflamed is the liver not how much risk factor someone has of metabolic syndrome.

Last edited by shersita; 10-21-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
(female)

TattPayne HB User

About the range of AST, ALT, depends on the lab. You should keep an eye on your level, no need to be stressed at this point though. But what you do is good, stop the possible cause. Maybe have your liver tested again in a couple of months.

Mine was also slightly high so I had ultrasound for gallstone, negative, then had Hepatitis panel done, positive. My case, Hepatitis caused my levels to go high.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
(female)

TattPayne HB User

About the range of AST, ALT, depends on the lab. You should keep an eye on your level, no need to be stressed at this point though. But what you do is good, stop the possible cause. Maybe have your liver tested again in a couple of months.

Mine was also slightly high so I had ultrasound for gallstone, negative, then had Hepatitis panel done, positive. My case, Hepatitis caused my levels to go high.

Good luck!

Old 12-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
(female)

binkyholder HB User

Second set of results show this now:

ALT 50

AST 41

ALT went up a bit and AST came down.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
(female)

binkyholder HB User

Update: Had my enzymes retested and they are now ALT 29 and AST 28. My iron is very low 26.4. Went in to the doctor today for pelvic and back pain due to fibroids, she did a quick exam of upper rib area and said my liver is enlarged. She has requested an ultrasound now. Can it be serious even though my enzymes are lower???

Old 01-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
(female)

binkyholder HB User

Update: Had my enzymes retested and they are now ALT 29 and AST 28. My iron is very low 26.4. Went in to the doctor today for pelvic and back pain due to fibroids, she did a quick exam of upper rib area and said my liver felt enlarged. She has requested an ultrasound now. Can it be serious even though my enzymes are lower??? She has also ordered tests for hepatitis for some reason.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #11
(female)

binkyholder HB User

I am going to go on a liver cleanse starting today. It's called Critical Liver Support by a company called RenewLife. Also I'm only going to have a glass of wine on the weekends as opposed to every day. Time for change!

Old 02-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
(female)

hopefloats36 HB Userhopefloats36 HB User

And....how is it going with you and your liver? I'm curious because my ALT and AST are elevated...higher than last year when the billirubin was also high. I'm having another ultrasound next month. Last year it revealed only a fatty liver.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #13
(female)

gal499 HB User

i have had my liver function tests done 2x in the last 2 months. They were really high the first time. My ALT was 89 and my AST was 58, which was high but not sky high. I just got my second test results back. My ALT was lower, 61, and my AST was 60. When I had an ultrasound of my liver done a couple years ago, the report said there were several fenestrations on my liver. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what that meant and the dr wasn't real clear. He just blamed it all on a fatty liver. But I am in pain a lot on my right side right in the rib area where my liver seems to be. It has taken my neurologist to become worried about all these issues.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
(female)

binkyholder HB User

Going for a retest of liver enzymes, hep b c, billirubin, albumin, alk phos, creatinine, GGT. Also getting an ultrasound of liver, gull bladder, etc. The doctor who originally said my liver was enlarged, was wrong. Since then I've had a naturopath and another doctor say it's normal size. Geez!

Also, I noticed a blood workup (2011) I had done last summer showed by enzymes in the low 40's. My doctor never mentioned a word about it! Why wouldn't she, they are way higher than my tests right now???

All new tests will be done this week.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
(female)

binkyholder HB User

Ultrasound was normal, is there really a need to get all the other tests done now?

Reply Reply