It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
(male)

spider40 HB User
Pain in upper right side under rib

I would like to see if a person has a explaination for my problem,
Im a 42 yr male.
I have a pain right under the last rib in the right side where maybe the elbow touches the abdomen. It also can affect my hip and shoot down my right leg. I went for an liver ultra sound and blood work which all came back normal earlier this year. I also just went to a chiropractor and that seemed to help that hip and leg pain. Now: My alcohol consumption causes the pain. After the pain starts coffee and food seem to continue the pain. If I stop drinking alcohol for a week Im totally fine, but one night at Chilies or Applebees of beers and the pain is boarderline emergancy room time. This has been happening for about a year now. Seen the Doc around 5 times and still no diagnosis. Oh... Sucralfate 1GM does help if I take it the right way, but i get nausia from it. And I also passed a stone and ended up in the emergancy room 6 months ago at 3 AM, Im sure a stone cause that pain stopped on a dime after around 8 hours of like painful mid area contractions. Thanks... Also im trying to quit drinking. I just need something else to take the edge off after work... HELP!

Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User
Re: Pain in upper right side under rib

Pain after eating (especially fatty foods) can indicate gall bladder issues, and if you're a known "stone former" this may be an additional clue.

An ultrasound should have shown any large stones in the gall bladder, but sometimes gall bladders can get "muddy" and sluggish if bile flow is low.

Bile is made of bile salts and lecithin... The body recycles bile salts, but not lecithin, so more lecithin might increase bile flow and help clear out the mud.

Eggs have more lecithin than about any other food you might eat, so you might see if upping your egg consumption for a month or so helps. If it does, you've found your problem. Lecithin supplements are also available if you don't care for eggs or are worried about the cholesterol.

Lecithin also provides choline which is your liver's favorite nutrient. Alcohol consumption ups your choline requirement, so lecithin also helps your liver recover from alcoholic stress.

A fatty liver is the other possibility, and alcohol is known to cause fatty livers. High carbohydrate diets and high fructose corn syrup also contribute to fatty liver. You might try restricting the above mentioned and see if this helps.

Best of luck to you, and stay healthy!

The Following User Says Thank You to BillinSD For This Useful Post:
spider40 (10-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
(male)

spider40 HB User

Thank you for the advice BillinSD. Ill try on improving my bile... Any lecithin supplements recommended would be helpful...

Old 10-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User

Lecithin is available in several forms... Simple Lecithin gelcaps are available in most any drug store or vitamin shop. Some brands offer "triple strength" gelcaps.

There is also "deoiled" lecithin (dry caplets) available at some vitamin shops witch is also more concentrated than the simple gelcaps, probably equal to the triple strength gels.

I would pick up the triple strength gels if I had a choice. There's not a whole lot of difference. You could simply take more of the cheap stuff. Or... Just add a couple eggs to your diet 2 or 3 days a week.

I'm not a doctor by the way, and if you're being treated by one it's always best to consult him/her on any supplements you might want to try. Lecithin is pretty benign tho. No side effects or interactions that I've ever heard of.

Lecithin has been documented in animal studies to reduce risk of liver damage from alcohol. Google around on: Lecithin and liver with alcohol in the search window and check it out. The most impressive test was done on baboons given alcohol and lecithin so throw baboon into the search mix and several of these studies should pop up.

Last edited by BillinSD; 10-22-2012 at 05:32 PM. Reason: addition

Old 10-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
(male)

spider40 HB User

Okay... Its been 7 days and no beer. Around 5oz glass of red wine each night as my habit is hard to break. On a level from 1 to 10 my side pain is around 2 or 3 when I eat,drink or bedtime and zero in between meals. I juice 2 carrots and 2 celery each morning first thing. Its a slow process to 100%. Ill keep my progress up to date. Also went to the chiropractor again this AM and that seemed to help the hip pain. The next step is upper and lower scope but i dont want to.... Im gonna try the no beer thing first.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
(male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinSD View Post
Lecithin is available in several forms... Simple Lecithin gelcaps are available in most any drug store or vitamin shop. Some brands offer "triple strength" gelcaps.

There is also "deoiled" lecithin (dry caplets) available at some vitamin shops witch is also more concentrated than the simple gelcaps, probably equal to the triple strength gels.

I would pick up the triple strength gels if I had a choice. There's not a whole lot of difference. You could simply take more of the cheap stuff. Or... Just add a couple eggs to your diet 2 or 3 days a week.

I'm not a doctor by the way, and if you're being treated by one it's always best to consult him/her on any supplements you might want to try. Lecithin is pretty benign tho. No side effects or interactions that I've ever heard of.

Lecithin has been documented in animal studies to reduce risk of liver damage from alcohol. Google around on: Lecithin and liver with alcohol in the search window and check it out. The most impressive test was done on baboons given alcohol and lecithin so throw baboon into the search mix and several of these studies should pop up.

I wonder if lecithin would help lower mildly elevated bilirubin?

Old 09-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
(female)

binkyholder HB User

How are you doing now?

Old 09-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
(male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User

Pain is 100% gone. Im not sure if its the Milk Thistle, the Pre- and Pro Biotics or just no reason at all

Old 09-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
(female)

binkyholder HB User

Well that's good news.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
(male)

Heppat HB User

Right on the nose!

Reply Reply