It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #16
(female)

abouttwodays HB User
Re: Elevated liver enzymes, pain under right rib cage, coarse texture on ultrasound

Just updating that I had to reschedule my CT scan for Nov 3. My doctor's office didn't fulfill the authorization my insurance company needed yet and there is no way it will be done in time for when my appointment was originally scheduled, which was for tomorrow morning. Bummer, kind of want this to be over with and know I'm ok

Old 10-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
(male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User
Re: Elevated liver enzymes, pain under right rib cage, coarse texture on ultrasound

Hang tight! I'm sure your fine. My doctor always tells me " don't worry, if your REALLY sick you will know it". He knows I'm a hypochondriac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
(female)

abouttwodays HB User

Haha that's funny. I'm a far cry from a hypochondriac. My doctor is the one telling me, "there is something going on and we need to find out what, just to make sure." He tells me not to be worried or anything though, so I'm more along the lines of just wanting to get this all over with so we can confirm I'm ok and I don't have to deal with anything anymore! My husband, on the other hand, is banned from ***** and related websites. He will sneeze, get on the internet and within 5 minutes is convinced he has a brain tumor or something entirely unrelated yet potentially fatal! I'm pretty sure I spent a majority of one year convincing him he did not have pneumonia.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #19
(female)

TattPayne HB User

There are several potential causes for elevation of these liver enzymes: A wide range of health problems can lead to elevated liver enzymes.

Some common causes include,

•Adrenal insufficiency (inadequate levels of hormones released by the adrenal gland)
•Alcohol abuse
•Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency (a disorder caused by defective production of the glycoprotein alpha-1-antitrypsin)
•Autoimmune disorders of the liver and bile ducts, such as autoimmune hepatitis
•Celiac disease
•Diabetes
•Elevated triglycerides (fat tissues) or high cholsterol
•Excessive use of certain herbal supplements, such as comfrey, kava, pennyroyal, and skullcap
•Hepatic steatosis and steatohepatitis, and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) .A condition called "fatty liver"
•Infections such as viral hepatitis and mononucleosis
•Medications including certain nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Aleve;, cholesterol-lowering medications, antibiotics, anti-seizure medications
•Metabolic liver disease such as hemochromatosis and Wilson's disease
•Muscle disorders such as Muscular Dystrophy
•Obesity
* Crohn's disease
* Some chemotherapy drugs
•Thyroid disorders
•Tumors of the liver or bile ducts
*It probably is a familial problem-unrelated to any individual problem.
*Different infections, toxins, medications, and a host of other causes can cause elevation of liver enzymes
* Almost any drug would cause liver inflammation
* Hepatitis A, b or C.
* Over-the-counter pain medications, including acetaminophen (Tylenol, others)
* Autoimmune Hepatitis
* Cirrhosis
* CMV(Cytomegalovirus ) infecion
* Epstein -Barr Virus
* Heart Attack
* Pancreatitis
* Severe burns
* Acute hemolytic anemia
* Gangrene or shock.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #20
(male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User
Cool Re: Elevated liver enzymes, pain under right rib cage, coarse texture on ultrasound

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattPayne View Post
There are several potential causes for elevation of these liver enzymes: A wide range of health problems can lead to elevated liver enzymes.

•Adrenal insufficiency (inadequate levels of hormones released by the adrenal gland)
•Alcohol abuse
•Alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency (a disorder caused by defective production of the glycoprotein alpha-1-antitrypsin)
•Celiac disease
•Diabetes
•Excessive use of certain herbal supplements, such as comfrey, kava, pennyroyal, and skullcap
•Hepatic steatosis and steatohepatitis, and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) .A condition called "fatty liver"
•Medications including certain nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Aleve;, cholesterol-lowering medications, antibiotics, anti-seizure medications
•Obesity
* Crohn's disease
•Thyroid disorders
*Different infections, toxins, medications, and a host of other causes can cause elevation of liver enzymes
* Hepatitis A, b or C.
* Autoimmune Hepatitis
* Cirrhosis
* Epstein -Barr Virus
* Heart Attack
* Pancreatitis
* Severe burns
* Acute hemolytic anemia
* Gangrene or shock.
That narrows things down for you to ponder

Old 10-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #21
(female)

abouttwodays HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypochondriacyy View Post
That narrows things down for you to ponder
Indeed

Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #22
(female)

abouttwodays HB User

Quote:

•Alcohol abuse
•Celiac disease
•Diabetes
•Obesity
* Crohn's disease
•Thyroid disorders
* Hepatitis A, b or C.
* Autoimmune Hepatitis
* Cirrhosis
* Epstein -Barr Virus
* Heart Attack
* Pancreatitis
* Severe burns
* Acute hemolytic anemia
* Gangrene or shock.
Fortunately I can cross a large number of these off my list of possible issues. I'm really not too concerned with the liver enzymes alone as I know that doesn't necessarily mean something is terribly wrong. I've read a lot about ultrasounds possibly being off so we will see what the CT scan shows. What bothers me most is the pain. I couldn't sleep last night because of it. It wasn't crazy strong, but it was constant and just strong enough to make me very uncomfortable and keep me up. When I finally did fall asleep, my daughter woke me up and on my way back to bed I got another strong, stabbing pain which was followed by a constant, dull ache and it was really bothersome. As time goes by it just gets stronger or more constant and I want it to go away.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #23
(female)

abouttwodays HB User

Got my CT scan done this morning. She said the results should be to my doctor by Monday. Wondering if that contrast stuff is capable of irritating your liver? I felt like I had been kicked right against the side-ish area of my right ribcage. Also kept feeling fairly intense stabbing pains in the upper right quadrant right behind my lower ribcage area. It's taken about 7 hours now to subside to my normal amount of pain. Drinking a lot of water has helped. Just feel a little sore in the area now. I will update when I get the results!

Old 11-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #24
(female)

TattPayne HB User

That contrast thing affects the kidney

Old 11-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #25
(female)

abouttwodays HB User

Quote:
That contrast thing affects the kidney
I did read that, which was why I was curious if it would bother anything else. I guess I was just in an abnormal amount of pain this morning.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #26
(female)

TattPayne HB User

I don t think it hurts your liver. Maybe there is an underlying causing the pain you are having. I am curious to find out what it is. Hope it s nothing serious but treatable. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #27
(female)

abouttwodays HB User

Yeah I have the pain every day but never as bad as today, which was why I was curious. And thank you! I keep saying I hope they say everything is fine and nothing is wrong, yet clearly something is causing me pain (and has been for about 8 months now) and causing my liver enzymes to be mildly elevated for years so who knows. But I agree, hopefully it is nothing serious and can be treated!

Old 11-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #28
(female)

gjet68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abouttwodays View Post
Yeah I have the pain every day but never as bad as today, which was why I was curious. And thank you! I keep saying I hope they say everything is fine and nothing is wrong, yet clearly something is causing me pain (and has been for about 8 months now) and causing my liver enzymes to be mildly elevated for years so who knows. But I agree, hopefully it is nothing serious and can be treated!
Hello, your post caught my eye as I can def relate to what you are going through! I got Penumonia about 10 years ago and ended up in the ER during their routine battery of blood work my Liver Enzymes came back elevated. They referred me to my GP and on the day of my appt they reran the blood work and it came back 7 times the norm, needless to say they were running crazy and freaking out. So they referred me to a Gastroenterologist who then referred me to a Hepatologist and I had a Liver Biopsy done.

It came back Fairly Normal with Minimal Inflammation. My Hep ran all sorts of tests on me, regular Hepatitis screens always come back normal, as did Ultrasounds and other blood work. My ALT/ALP were elevated too. I am also anemic. My hep doc decided to just keep a watch on it and run blood work on the basis of every 3 months. He stated in his opinion we could rule out fatty liver disease and that he felt it might be Autoimmune Hepatitis but not bad enough to warrant treatment. He said unfortunately it was just going to have to be something we would have to watch over time.

So, the past ten years for me have been spent repeating abdominal ultrasounds and LFT`s with the lab. In March of 2012 I had the most severe pain in my gallbladder/liver region that I have had to date. I presented the the ER at which time they did a cat scan and blood work. The ER doc had pulled my records from 10 years prior and stated that My Enzymes were elevated but not bad like they had been before. They seem to roller coaster for some reason. The CT scan revealed that my Gallbladder wall was thickened but there was no evidence of any stones. They attributed the pain to Billary Colic and gave me a couple shots of meds for that. They advised me to have my GP refer me to a surgeon.

At that time I had no insurance and we recently moved to a bigger city. So the pain has been getting worse along with a feeling that something is wrong. So once we were settled here I made an appt with an Internist to establish care and get his opinion as I could not get in to see my Hepatologist until January, given the fact that I had not been there since 2007 they treated me as a new patient. This doc ran a good blood work up and ordered a sonogram of the abodmen/liver/gallbladder the results indicated Gallbladder Polyps.

The internist referred me to a surgeon and a Gastroenterologist. I saw the surgeon a couple weeks ago and he stated that Gallbladder Polyps should not be causing me any pain, period. He stated that he felt those Polyps may be actual small gallstones stuck to the gallbladder wall. He has me scheduled for a HIDA scan tomorrow morning. He said that if that indicated my GB was functioning normally the next step would be to have the Gastro doc scope me and see if he could locate the source of my pain. He further indicated that he felt the elevated LFT`s played no bearing on this current situation.

These are my symptoms:

General Weakness/Tiredness/Achy Flu Like Feeling (Some days worse than others)
Anemia (Ongoing take Iron Supplements)
Pain in the Upper Right/Mid and even lower Abdomen at times.
Loose Stools (Frequent)
Indigestion/Reflux
Nausea
Sweating/Clammy feelings
The pain in my abdomen is a steady burning pain and its sore to the touch, sometimes its so bad it keeps me awake at night. It hurts when I lie down worse too. Holding a heat pad against it seems to help some.
Sometimes I have pain between my shoulder blades that I describe as feeling "tight" as though someone was stretching a hide over something and pulling it taught.
Occasional itching
Occasional Joint Pain
Weakness in my wrists and hands occasionally

Medical History:
Migraines (take meds for those)
Hypertension (Been on meds for those since I was 15)
Trigeminal Neuralgia (unmedicated because the docs felt that meds would do my liver more harm, I only get pain meds when it becomes too bad to bear)
Anemia
Heart Valve Leakage/Murmur

Now, with the thought of having possible AIH and it running in families I have to say that my mother had Pernicious Anemia and Thyroid Disease she is also Diabetic. My sister has Fibromyalgia and Thyroid Disorder. I know that these can all be indicative of Autoimmune Disorders.

I was hoping maybe we could compare symptoms? Any thoughts from anyone else? I am wondering if the Pain I am having could be coming from my liver? The Surgeon was asking me about the liver and seemed concerned a bit tho he stated he felt my GB would need to come out within the next month he did state he was not 100 percent certain even that would alleviate the pain.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #29
(female)

abouttwodays HB User

gjet68- Sorry you've had to go through so much and yet to have any answers. That's kind of what I'm afraid of right now. I really don't know much about anything so I don't have much advice to give. My liver enzymes and viral hepatitis had been the only things my doctor in Colorado tested for and it's been almost 5 years now that the enzymes have been mildly elevated. She did send me for an ultrasound in 2009, which came back normal. This past May I had mentioned to her the pain I was having and had been having for a few months and her response was, "well your ultrasound in 2009 came back fine so you must be fine." Well, yes that makes sense. Because if someone didn't have cancer four years ago, they couldn't possibly have cancer now, right? (Not saying I have cancer...not even worried about that...just giving a general example, you know?) At that time, my enzymes were tested again and were just above normal so she told me just to keep an eye on them.

The pain had been worsening which is why I went back to the doctor after moving to Florida. I mentioned my headaches only because my husband urged me to, which the doctor referred me to a neurologist for. I have not gone though and probably won't. We are on Medicaid right now (I'm not working, my husband had lost his job which is when we initially went on Medicaid and his new job doesn't offer insurance) so we pay out of pocket unless it's like a crazy amount of money for an urgent care visit or whatever, then they'll cover it. I haven't had a migraine in a few weeks so I'm kind of just attributing them to stress I was going through.

I haven't mentioned the fatigue to my doctor because I just thought I was a naturally tired person. Well at first I thought it was because I was working 8 hour shifts on my feet all day then coming home to a very active 2 year old running around. Now that my daughter is almost 4 and has mellowed out a bit and I'm not on my feet all day, I shouldn't be so tired. I sit here like, years ago I used to power through workouts 4 hours a day on about 700-800 calories, but now I'm eating well and it's been increasingly difficult to get through 15 minutes of circuit training! We walk 2 miles every night and I just feel so tired. Sweeping the house exhausts me.

I don't know if my CT results are in yet, but I did call my doctor's office to let me know right away when they come in so I can make an appointment and my husband can take time off of work to get me there, that way I don't make an appointment and have to cancel because they're not in. I was told by the hospital they should be in today but we will see.

It's frustrating because the pain is becoming more constant and generally worse. Before it just felt like something was stuck up under my ribcage with an occasional sharp pain. Now it's more like a constant, sore type feeling behind my ribcage and I still get the sharp pains, only stronger.

I would love to be told everything is ok, but then nothing would make sense. Yet I certainly don't want to be told anything is serious!

My symptoms/history in a nutshell are as follows,

- pain in the upper right quadrant, recently been feeling pain on the side of my right ribcage as well, towards the front if that makes sense.
- fatigue, related or not I have no idea.
- itching, though typically just on my legs...sometimes on my arms or lower belly.
- migraines (stress related?)
- midly elevated AST and ALT.
- inflamed liver/coarse looking texture on ultrasound. No diagnosis.
- history of chronic hives.
- autoimmune diseases run in my family.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #30
(male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjet68 View Post
Hello, your post caught my eye as I can def relate to what you are going through! I got Penumonia about 10 years ago and ended up in the ER during their routine battery of blood work my Liver Enzymes came back elevated. They referred me to my GP and on the day of my appt they reran the blood work and it came back 7 times the norm, needless to say they were running crazy and freaking out. So they referred me to a Gastroenterologist who then referred me to a Hepatologist and I had a Liver Biopsy done.

It came back Fairly Normal with Minimal Inflammation. My Hep ran all sorts of tests on me, regular Hepatitis screens always come back normal, as did Ultrasounds and other blood work. My ALT/ALP were elevated too. I am also anemic. My hep doc decided to just keep a watch on it and run blood work on the basis of every 3 months. He stated in his opinion we could rule out fatty liver disease and that he felt it might be Autoimmune Hepatitis but not bad enough to warrant treatment. He said unfortunately it was just going to have to be something we would have to watch over time.

So, the past ten years for me have been spent repeating abdominal ultrasounds and LFT`s with the lab. In March of 2012 I had the most severe pain in my gallbladder/liver region that I have had to date. I presented the the ER at which time they did a cat scan and blood work. The ER doc had pulled my records from 10 years prior and stated that My Enzymes were elevated but not bad like they had been before. They seem to roller coaster for some reason. The CT scan revealed that my Gallbladder wall was thickened but there was no evidence of any stones. They attributed the pain to Billary Colic and gave me a couple shots of meds for that. They advised me to have my GP refer me to a surgeon.

At that time I had no insurance and we recently moved to a bigger city. So the pain has been getting worse along with a feeling that something is wrong. So once we were settled here I made an appt with an Internist to establish care and get his opinion as I could not get in to see my Hepatologist until January, given the fact that I had not been there since 2007 they treated me as a new patient. This doc ran a good blood work up and ordered a sonogram of the abodmen/liver/gallbladder the results indicated Gallbladder Polyps.

The internist referred me to a surgeon and a Gastroenterologist. I saw the surgeon a couple weeks ago and he stated that Gallbladder Polyps should not be causing me any pain, period. He stated that he felt those Polyps may be actual small gallstones stuck to the gallbladder wall. He has me scheduled for a HIDA scan tomorrow morning. He said that if that indicated my GB was functioning normally the next step would be to have the Gastro doc scope me and see if he could locate the source of my pain. He further indicated that he felt the elevated LFT`s played no bearing on this current situation.

These are my symptoms:

General Weakness/Tiredness/Achy Flu Like Feeling (Some days worse than others)
Anemia (Ongoing take Iron Supplements)
Pain in the Upper Right/Mid and even lower Abdomen at times.
Loose Stools (Frequent)
Indigestion/Reflux
Nausea
Sweating/Clammy feelings
The pain in my abdomen is a steady burning pain and its sore to the touch, sometimes its so bad it keeps me awake at night. It hurts when I lie down worse too. Holding a heat pad against it seems to help some.
Sometimes I have pain between my shoulder blades that I describe as feeling "tight" as though someone was stretching a hide over something and pulling it taught.
Occasional itching
Occasional Joint Pain
Weakness in my wrists and hands occasionally

Medical History:
Migraines (take meds for those)
Hypertension (Been on meds for those since I was 15)
Trigeminal Neuralgia (unmedicated because the docs felt that meds would do my liver more harm, I only get pain meds when it becomes too bad to bear)
Anemia
Heart Valve Leakage/Murmur

Now, with the thought of having possible AIH and it running in families I have to say that my mother had Pernicious Anemia and Thyroid Disease she is also Diabetic. My sister has Fibromyalgia and Thyroid Disorder. I know that these can all be indicative of Autoimmune Disorders.

I was hoping maybe we could compare symptoms? Any thoughts from anyone else? I am wondering if the Pain I am having could be coming from my liver? The Surgeon was asking me about the liver and seemed concerned a bit tho he stated he felt my GB would need to come out within the next month he did state he was not 100 percent certain even that would alleviate the pain.
what were your ultrasound results?

Reply Reply