It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #61
(female)

abouttwodays HB User
Re: Got back from GI doc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypochondriacyy View Post
Oh I didn't know you had the results of the CT scan. Yes THAT is more reliable then the ultrasound and probably would have shown any nodules. They may di an MRI next, that's also supposed to be good
Yeah, I got the results on Wednesday! They said everything looked good, no gallbladder issues, no gallstones, ducts are all clear etc. Liver was mildly enlarged and my doctor just said the spleen is "quite big."

Old 11-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #62
(male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattPayne View Post
I guess Imaging method cannot tell if you have cirrhosis. I had liver biopsy looking for cirrhosis. It did not show on my several MRI, CT and liver ultrasound.
I hope you do not have it!!!!

Good luck
Well yes and no.if its advanced they can see the nodules on image studies. IF she has low platelets and an enlarged spleen from cirrhosis the it would be advanced enough for a CT scan to show some abnormalities like nodules etc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #63
(female)

abouttwodays HB User

Quote:
Imaging method cannot tell if you have cirrhosis. I had liver biopsy looking for cirrhosis. It did not show on my several MRI, CT and liver ultrasound.
I hope you do not have it!!!!

Good luck
Do you have cirrhosis? I don't remember if you have said you do or not, just curious if imaging came back negative and biopsy came back positive. I know I was reading somewhere online a lady was talking about her husband that tests kept coming back that he didn't have cirrhosis for about 4 years and then all of a sudden a biopsy finally came back that he had it pretty severely. Don't know if it progressed fast or what. I don't know how these things work but dang yeah I agree, I hope I don't have it! Not really worried about it yet but this stuff makes my head spin.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #64
(male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User

An enlarged spleen will cause low platelets and it doesn't have to be a result of chirrosis.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #65
(male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User

Usually with chirrosis the AST is 2X higher the ALT.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #66
(female)

abouttwodays HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypochondriacyy View Post
An enlarged spleen will cause low platelets and it doesn't have to be a result of chirrosis.
Just read that online...whew.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #67
(female)

TattPayne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abouttwodays View Post
Do you have cirrhosis? I don't remember if you have said you do or not, just curious if imaging came back negative and biopsy came back positive. I know I was reading somewhere online a lady was talking about her husband that tests kept coming back that he didn't have cirrhosis for about 4 years and then all of a sudden a biopsy finally came back that he had it pretty severely. Don't know if it progressed fast or what. I don't know how these things work but dang yeah I agree, I hope I don't have it! Not really worried about it yet but this stuff makes my head spin.
No. Fortunately, I do not and i hope i will not have it.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #68
(female)

abouttwodays HB User

Quote:
No. Fortunately, I do not and i hope i will not have it.
Good!!

Old 11-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #69
(male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User

If you google chirrosis imaging studies and blood tests you will see that while nothing is 100% without a biopsy, there are some very clear signs and changes that are visable in MRI and ultrasound as well as blood tests, once advanced. In early stages its usually not visable. BUT I believe that if someone had low platelets and and enlarged spleen as a result of chirrosis then it would mean the disease is advanced and surely at that point other things would be visable on imaging studies. I bet your enlarged spleen is the result of some autoimmune disorder.

The spleen will often enlarge with a virus or infection.

Last edited by Hypochondriacyy; 11-10-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #70
(female)

gjet68 HB User

Quote:
From what I've read about autoimmune hepatitis is that they try to keep from giving meds for as long as possible just due to the side affects of the medication. So I guess it's good that it's not progressing that fast! I'm assuming you already knew that though hah.

And hey, it seems like your gastro doc has got you on a path to getting you answers! Let us know how your tests come back!
I will. I was somewhat astonished to read that someone mentioned a person having had cirrhosis for 4 years and not finding out until it was severe. That is my worry. This has been going on with me for 10 + years but my biopsy in 04 showed minimal inflammation of my liver, hopefully it is not progressing. Its just one of those things where you feel like you should be doing something but there is nothing you can do but wait and see what its going to do. Hope that makes sense! Ill def update after my scan on Monday. I am sorta nervous about getting that scope down my throat. Although I will be sedated just the thoughts of it is enough to unnerve me lol

Old 11-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #71
(female)

abouttwodays HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjet68 View Post
I will. I was somewhat astonished to read that someone mentioned a person having had cirrhosis for 4 years and not finding out until it was severe. That is my worry. This has been going on with me for 10 + years but my biopsy in 04 showed minimal inflammation of my liver, hopefully it is not progressing. Its just one of those things where you feel like you should be doing something but there is nothing you can do but wait and see what its going to do. Hope that makes sense! Ill def update after my scan on Monday. I am sorta nervous about getting that scope down my throat. Although I will be sedated just the thoughts of it is enough to unnerve me lol
I don't do well with anesthesia so I'm hoping I never have to do something that involves me being sedated! The one and only time I was put under I had a difficult time waking up from it. I'm perfectly fine watching anything medically related, like when they show surgeries on tv and such but when it comes to thinking about myself having anything done, it makes me weak at the knees haha.

I keep telling my husband that although I wouldn't be surprised if in the end this winds up being AIH, I really hope it's not. I understand what you mean that it's just a thing where you sit and wait and wonder what is going on while they hold off treatment. Yet I am really more afraid of the treatment for it! I know meds like prednisone can cause weight gain and though I know it is what I would need, I am afraid of it triggering my eating disorder. I still struggle daily with the mental aspect of it all. But in the end I know whatever is going on and whatever treatment it requires I need to accept so I can be here for my daughter.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #72
(female)

gjet68 HB User

Quote:
I don't do well with anesthesia so I'm hoping I never have to do something that involves me being sedated! The one and only time I was put under I had a difficult time waking up from it. I'm perfectly fine watching anything medically related, like when they show surgeries on tv and such but when it comes to thinking about myself having anything done, it makes me weak at the knees haha.

I keep telling my husband that although I wouldn't be surprised if in the end this winds up being AIH, I really hope it's not. I understand what you mean that it's just a thing where you sit and wait and wonder what is going on while they hold off treatment. Yet I am really more afraid of the treatment for it! I know meds like prednisone can cause weight gain and though I know it is what I would need, I am afraid of it triggering my eating disorder. I still struggle daily with the mental aspect of it all. But in the end I know whatever is going on and whatever treatment it requires I need to accept so I can be here for my daughter.
lol I can understand where you are coming from then if you battle with an eating disorder, I have a daughter that does also. Myself, I have the opposite problem I need to shed quite a few pounds. I know that my weight likely contributes to my issues as well. With me its much easier said than done. I am a stress eater.

I have had several surgeries in the past, the only thing I worry about is being one of those freak accidents where you hear someone is not asleep but paralyzed and they feel everything going on but cannot let the docs know. Its never happened in the past but it does cross my mind. One time I failed to start breathing and they had to shake me and tell me to breathe afterwards. So, I am a bit uncomfy, but truthfully the thought of enduring that scope while awake and me being claustrophobic worries me almost as much as the actual being put under does.

I certainly do not need the extra pounds the treatments can cause either and am not rushing them to do them for certain. It just worries me that the wait and see approach might end up being weve missed something along the route and by the time we figure it out its too late. Im probably just panicking here but thats how I see it. :-)

Old 11-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #73
(female)

abouttwodays HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjet68 View Post
lol I can understand where you are coming from then if you battle with an eating disorder, I have a daughter that does also. Myself, I have the opposite problem I need to shed quite a few pounds. I know that my weight likely contributes to my issues as well. With me its much easier said than done. I am a stress eater.

I have had several surgeries in the past, the only thing I worry about is being one of those freak accidents where you hear someone is not asleep but paralyzed and they feel everything going on but cannot let the docs know. Its never happened in the past but it does cross my mind. One time I failed to start breathing and they had to shake me and tell me to breathe afterwards. So, I am a bit uncomfy, but truthfully the thought of enduring that scope while awake and me being claustrophobic worries me almost as much as the actual being put under does.

I certainly do not need the extra pounds the treatments can cause either and am not rushing them to do them for certain. It just worries me that the wait and see approach might end up being weve missed something along the route and by the time we figure it out its too late. Im probably just panicking here but thats how I see it. :-)
Nah I don't think you're panicking, I feel it's totally logical to think of it that way. After all, it's not like you have a picture of your liver day by day to see if or how fast things are progressing.

My husband had woken up during one of his knee surgeries, but he said he didn't feel anything.

I've gone from heavy restriction to binging so I have a very unhealthy relationship with food. I am currently a bit overweight and its so hard for me to lose weight. Over the past 3 weeks or so though its been increasingly difficult for me to eat. My appetite is shot, I rarely get hungry and when I do, it takes a ridiculously small amount of food to make me disgustingly full. Tonight I served myself what would be my normal portion of dinner and after 1/4 of it my stomach felt so full it hurt. Not heartburn kind of hurt, but over-eating kind of hurt. I managed to get in about 900-1000 calories today, but I did drink some orange juice and had a little bit of candy so that brought my calorie count up. It's just weird because typically I'm capable of eating like a very hungry man, and now it's like a yogurt fills me up.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #74
(female)

abouttwodays HB User
Re: Elevated liver enzymes, pain under right rib cage, coarse texture on ultrasound

So I'm just waiting for my doctor to receive my lab results. In the meantime, I have a question.

Lately I have been getting kind of dizzy and/or nauseated. This morning I kept getting waves of nausea. Then a little later I felt dizzy so I figured I better eat something (it was around 10am, I hadn't eaten yet) and I had a small bowl of cereal.

I was feeling better and we went to Target. On the drive there I started feeling nauseated again. I was feeling rather weak and when we got into the store and started walking, I was getting dizzy. The spinning subsided but as we kept walking I felt like I couldn't comprehend where I was. Basically everything was crystal clear in terms of my vision but in my head, it was all a blur. I started feeling very weak and shakey and at that point, I almost started panicking because I was scared to death. I told my husband to just keep talking to me, to ask me questions and make me talk. I felt like I was fighting to stay conscious.

It lasted maybe 3-4 minutes and I finally started feeling better. I was still very shakey and had a hard time keeping my footing for about 10 minutes but by the time we got in the car to leave, I was fine and I have been fine since.

Is that normal for whatever might be going on?

Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #75
(female)

abouttwodays HB User
Re: Elevated liver enzymes, pain under right rib cage, coarse texture on ultrasound

Just updating that I will be seeing my GI doc to get my lab results tomorrow. I will update if we figure anything out!

Reply Reply