It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
(female)

gjet68 HB User
Liver? Gallbladder? What? Possible AIH

I got Penumonia about 10 years ago and ended up in the ER during their routine battery of blood work my Liver Enzymes came back elevated. They referred me to my GP and on the day of my appt they reran the blood work and it came back 7 times the norm, needless to say they were running crazy and freaking out. So they referred me to a Gastroenterologist who then referred me to a Hepatologist and I had a Liver Biopsy done.

It came back Fairly Normal with Minimal Inflammation. My Hep ran all sorts of tests on me, regular Hepatitis screens always come back normal, as did Ultrasounds and other blood work. My ALT/ALP were elevated too. I am also anemic. My hep doc decided to just keep a watch on it and run blood work on the basis of every 3 months. He stated in his opinion we could rule out fatty liver disease and that he felt it might be Autoimmune Hepatitis but not bad enough to warrant treatment. He said unfortunately it was just going to have to be something we would have to watch over time.

So, the past ten years for me have been spent repeating abdominal ultrasounds and LFT`s with the lab. In March of 2012 I had the most severe pain in my gallbladder/liver region that I have had to date. I presented the the ER at which time they did a cat scan and blood work. The ER doc had pulled my records from 10 years prior and stated that My Enzymes were elevated but not bad like they had been before. They seem to roller coaster for some reason. The CT scan revealed that my Gallbladder wall was thickened but there was no evidence of any stones. They attributed the pain to Billary Colic and gave me a couple shots of meds for that. They advised me to have my GP refer me to a surgeon.

At that time I had no insurance and we recently moved to a bigger city. So the pain has been getting worse along with a feeling that something is wrong. So once we were settled here I made an appt with an Internist to establish care and get his opinion as I could not get in to see my Hepatologist until January, given the fact that I had not been there since 2007 they treated me as a new patient. This doc ran a good blood work up and ordered a sonogram of the abodmen/liver/gallbladder the results indicated Gallbladder Polyps.

The internist referred me to a surgeon and a Gastroenterologist. I saw the surgeon a couple weeks ago and he stated that Gallbladder Polyps should not be causing me any pain, period. He stated that he felt those Polyps may be actual small gallstones stuck to the gallbladder wall. He has me scheduled for a HIDA scan tomorrow morning. He said that if that indicated my GB was functioning normally the next step would be to have the Gastro doc scope me and see if he could locate the source of my pain. He further indicated that he felt the elevated LFT`s played no bearing on this current situation.

These are my symptoms:

General Weakness/Tiredness/Achy Flu Like Feeling (Some days worse than others)
Anemia (Ongoing take Iron Supplements)
Pain in the Upper Right/Mid and even lower Abdomen at times.
Loose Stools (Frequent)
Indigestion/Reflux
Nausea
Sweating/Clammy feelings
Irregular periods I sometimes skip a month or two (I am 44 and all tests for Menopause indicate I am not there yet)
The pain in my abdomen is a steady burning pain and its sore to the touch, sometimes its so bad it keeps me awake at night. It hurts when I lie down worse too. Holding a heat pad against it seems to help some.
Sometimes I have pain between my shoulder blades that I describe as feeling "tight" as though someone was stretching a hide over something and pulling it taught.
Occasional itching
Occasional Joint Pain
Weakness in my wrists and hands occasionally

Medical History:
Migraines (take meds for those)
Hypertension (Been on meds for those since I was 15)
Trigeminal Neuralgia (unmedicated because the docs felt that meds would do my liver more harm, I only get pain meds when it becomes too bad to bear)
Anemia
Heart Valve Leakage/Murmur

Now, with the thought of having possible AIH and it running in families I have to say that my mother had Pernicious Anemia and Thyroid Disease she is also Diabetic. My sister has Fibromyalgia and Thyroid Disorder. I know that these can all be indicative of Autoimmune Disorders.

I am wondering if the Pain I am having could be coming from my liver? The Surgeon was asking me about the liver and seemed concerned a bit tho he stated he felt my GB would need to come out within the next month he did state he was not 100 percent certain even that would alleviate the pain.

This is just one of those times when I have this dreaded feeling that there is more here than meets the eye. I think that I have something more going on than has been found and it seems to be getting worse. I know my body and I do not feel right at all. Any thoughts?

Last edited by gjet68; 11-05-2012 at 09:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
(female)

gjet68 HB User
Re: Liver? Gallbladder? What? Possible AIH

So, I had the HIDA Scan this morning and the surgeons office just called with the results. It was 89% which he says is normal. So, that has me puzzled. When they injected the hormone this morning during the test I thought I was going to die! I hurt so bad! He said most people do not feel anything but I did. To get home and get the results that quick was amazing for me but Im somewhat dissapointed if that makes any sense? Id had expected it to come back bad and then we would be scheduling surgery soon. The surgeon stated I could come in and discuss the results with him on Friday if I wanted but to keep my appointment with the Gastroenterologist on Thursday so we will have to let him decided what is causing the pain now. I am just confused and frustrated, I thought sure my GB was the culprit and apparently he is just going to forget about the Polyps that he saw in my Gallbladder at this point. Any thoughts?

Reply Reply