It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
(male)

mattfer13 HB User
A liver issue?

I'm a 21 year old male, not overweight.
About 3 months ago I went to the hospital after 2 weeks of light fever and exhaustion and I was tested positive for mononucleosis.
A couple of weeks after that I did my annual bloods and my doc told me that my ALT liver numbers were abnormal and so he sent me to do them again.
I am awaiting the results for this test but I am experiencing some pretty frightening symptoms that I would like to explain in the mean time to maybe get some help from someone out there.
First: My stools loose and broken. They are pale in color and look a little bit like clay. They are also usually floating at the surface of the toilet. The odour is strong and they appear to be gassy, emitting bubbles.
Second: I am experiencing abdominal discomfort and occasional pain around the bottom of my rib cage, perhaps more to the right side but mostly centred.
I also feel generally unwell throughout the day, although this could be residual from the mono?
Third: I think I have a limited appetite compared to my usual habits, although it's not excessively limited, I have not lost weight.
Additionally, I find myself to be short of breath at times, especially when I am in crowded or warm areas...

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Any feedback whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Matt

Old 11-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
(female)

gjet68 HB User
Re: A liver issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfer13 View Post
I'm a 21 year old male, not overweight.
About 3 months ago I went to the hospital after 2 weeks of light fever and exhaustion and I was tested positive for mononucleosis.
A couple of weeks after that I did my annual bloods and my doc told me that my ALT liver numbers were abnormal and so he sent me to do them again.
I am awaiting the results for this test but I am experiencing some pretty frightening symptoms that I would like to explain in the mean time to maybe get some help from someone out there.
First: My stools loose and broken. They are pale in color and look a little bit like clay. They are also usually floating at the surface of the toilet. The odour is strong and they appear to be gassy, emitting bubbles.
Second: I am experiencing abdominal discomfort and occasional pain around the bottom of my rib cage, perhaps more to the right side but mostly centred.
I also feel generally unwell throughout the day, although this could be residual from the mono?
Third: I think I have a limited appetite compared to my usual habits, although it's not excessively limited, I have not lost weight.
Additionally, I find myself to be short of breath at times, especially when I am in crowded or warm areas...

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Any feedback whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Matt
Matt, how high were your ALT`s? Depending on that the next step for me was to obtain a Liver Biopsy. A number of things can cause elevated LFT`s. Mine first started after I got Pneumonia and since then they have roller coastered up and down for over 10 years. I have been dealing with mine for 10 yrs plus. Its just hard to pinpoint what exactly is going on. Have they ran tests to check for all forms of Hepatitis on you? That is what my Hep doc did aside from the Biopsy, he ruled out all forms of hepatitis, and fatty liver disease when he got done the only possible conclusions for me were either Autoimmune Hepatitis that was not bad enough for treatment or my system was too sensitive to Tylenol. Please keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
(male)

mattfer13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjet68 View Post
Matt, how high were your ALT`s? Depending on that the next step for me was to obtain a Liver Biopsy. A number of things can cause elevated LFT`s. Mine first started after I got Pneumonia and since then they have roller coastered up and down for over 10 years. I have been dealing with mine for 10 yrs plus. Its just hard to pinpoint what exactly is going on. Have they ran tests to check for all forms of Hepatitis on you? That is what my Hep doc did aside from the Biopsy, he ruled out all forms of hepatitis, and fatty liver disease when he got done the only possible conclusions for me were either Autoimmune Hepatitis that was not bad enough for treatment or my system was too sensitive to Tylenol. Please keep us posted.
Hey thanks for your reply gjet!
So i'm not really certain of the numbers regarding my ALT's, but i have a doc's appointment next week. That should give me a concrete answer to your question. Well I'm just confused overall about this whole ordeal, my two most significant symptoms are pain in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen, and trouble breathing with soreness in my upper right back. Being the complete wreck and bad patient that I am, I have been doing some self-diagnosis. My research tells me either that I do indeed need a liver biopsy, i may have gallstones, and I could have a pulmonary embolism (um, i really hope not). Regardless of the end result I will surely get back to you.
once again I truly appreciate your response,
Matt

Old 11-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
(female)

gjet68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfer13 View Post
Hey thanks for your reply gjet!
So i'm not really certain of the numbers regarding my ALT's, but i have a doc's appointment next week. That should give me a concrete answer to your question. Well I'm just confused overall about this whole ordeal, my two most significant symptoms are pain in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen, and trouble breathing with soreness in my upper right back. Being the complete wreck and bad patient that I am, I have been doing some self-diagnosis. My research tells me either that I do indeed need a liver biopsy, i may have gallstones, and I could have a pulmonary embolism (um, i really hope not). Regardless of the end result I will surely get back to you.
once again I truly appreciate your response,
Matt
Your welcome Matt! Have you had any sorts of testing done? It might be your liver and it could be something else entirely. Sounds like you need to be under the care of a Gastroenterologist first. They will likely want to order additional testing it could be your gallbladder too. You state that the soreness is in the upper right quadrant and through to your back, that screams gallbladder to me. I am not a medical professional though so you should certainly mention all of this to your doctor and see about getting into a gastro doc if you have not already. They will likely order additional testing. Just hang tight in the meantime and hopefully you will get some answers soon!

Reply Reply

Tags
abdominal pain, chest pain, liver, loose stool, pale stool