Hi, I have had UC for a number of years and over the past 4 years I have had raised readings well above the normal range. I was wondering if anyone has had the same Liver issues that I am having. I am about 3 months into the GAPS program for Ulcerative Colitis (eating marrow and gelatine from lamb, chicken and fish) and my UC condition has stabilised!
My diet is seriously healthy. I eat vegetables and salads, lots of green leafy plants. Off dairy, gluten and carbs for years as this inflammes my UC. I juice fresh daily and my sugar intake is very low.
Over the last 2-3 weeks my partner has said that my skin and eyes look yellow. Recently I had a blood test and the Liver results were very high. Total
Biliruben 44 (range 2-20), Direct Biliruben 29 (range 0-8), Alk. Phos. 690
(range 30-115), Gamma G.T. 353 (range 0-70), ALT 725 (range 0-45), AST 730 (range 0-41), LD 208 (range 80-250), Albumin 34 (range 35-50), Globulins 47 (range 20-40)
Some of symtoms are loss of weight, Dark urine, fatigue/weakness
I am having an Ultrasound on Monday. My doctor is looking for some
blockage. Does anyone have any experience with this and are
willing to share their experience as to root cause?
Thanks and regards
Last edited by Biltonp; 11-15-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Reason: Add more information
I don't have personal experience or a lot of knowledge on UC, but your story caught my attention as I have recently been learning about ENDOTOXIN related to changes in bacterial flora in the colon.
Everyone generates endotoxin in their colon (from gram negative bacteria), but the amount of endotoxin varies widely as different diets promote different ratios of gram negative vs gram positive bacteria. It may be the new diet that is helping your UC is also feeding gram negative bacteria, changing the ratio of good bugs vs bad.
Also... A healthy colon is supposed to keep most of the endotoxin inside your colon for elimination in the usual way (down the toilet), but an unhealthy colon or "leaky gut" can let a lot more endotoxin through the colon wall and into the bloodstream.
Blood from the GI tract goes straight to the liver via the portal vein for cleaning before it is oxygenated and pumped round the body, and a heavy endotoxin load can really stress the liver.
Probiotics are popular to try to promote friendly gram positive bacteria in the colon, reducing endotoxin by crowding out toxic gram negative bacteria, but probiotics are often ineffective as studies show not only that they don't survive too well in supplement form, but even viable cultures may never reach the colon as stomach acid kills most of them off before they complete their journey.
I decided to try PREBIOTICS rather than probiotics, as prebiotics are not live cultures that are affected by stomach acid, and therefore can be more effective than even the best probiotic.
Prebiotics are a type of sugar that is not absorbed in the GI tract, and easily reach the colon where they act as a food for the beneficial gram positive bacteria. The bad gram negative bugs don't care for this food, and the population explosion of good gram positive bacteria then crowds out the bad bugs, greatly reducing endotoxin levels in the colon.
With reduced endotoxin in the colon, even with a leaky gut, endotoxin levels in the blood traveling to the liver are also greatly reduced, taking a big load off the liver.
The two main types of prebiotics are "FOS" or fructo-oligosaccharide and "inulin". From what I've read, the FOS prebiotic is more effective and safer than inulin prebiotic (inulin can feed bad klebsiella bacteria!), and FOS is the one I tried. I got very swift and impressive results from the FOS, with the only side effect being a bit of extra gas early on in my treatment.
Be careful not to over-do it with the FOS... I take one 750mg capsule of FOS with every meal, for a total of 2250mg of FOS per day. Few side effects and great results! FOS is also dirt cheap at around a dime per capsule.
Please read up on endotoxin and liver inflammation, probiotics, prebiotics and leaky gut. The risk/reward profile for this type of treatment is excellent, and if they're going to help you, you should get results quite quickly.
Best of Luck to you!
Last edited by BillinSD; 11-15-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Thankyou so much for your reply, everything resonates with me.
I have had Blastocystis Hominis for a long time. As part of the GAPS diet, I used yoghurt culture, but way too much, too soon! It was interesting that my partner had the same yoghurt and she felt fine. I was vomiting the next morning and had nausea and a migraine for the next 6 days. My body is still trying to rid itself of the toxins in the die off.
Interesting to note that my eczema is decreasing from that point onwards. I always believed that eczema was just a reflection of the inbalance occuring on the inside.
I have been making my own kefir, kombucha and cultured vegetables in an attempt to get some of the good bacteria into my Colon, but I do wonder about the success of this strategy.
Taking prebiotics makes sense, especially if the blasto and flagilis aren't interested in this source of food and the good bacteria are.
It has been quite a difficult process, but I have weened myself off sugar cravings and carbohydrates. I think the Blasto might love this food, Diarrhea seems to be much worse after eating simple carbos.
I'll follow up on your suggestions and thanks once again for your support.