It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
(male)

rainguyttb HB User
High ALT & other symptoms. What's going on?

Male/24/non-smoker/non-drinker. A week ago, I had an ALT reading of 65 come back during the course of a routine blood test. Doctor called me back in for a hepatitis panel which came back negative and so I was tentatively diagnosed with fatty liver and I have an ultrasound coming a few days from now. It all seems kind of open-and-shut given the fact that I've had a poor diet and I'm overweight (6'4", 260lbs), but I've had some things happen before and after the blood test that have made me question if it's really so simple.

For a few weeks before the blood test, I've had intermittent pain in the form of a sort of "stitch" or "burning" under my lower right ribs. Because it is sometimes brought on or eased by eating and is generally worse at night, I assumed it was an ulcer or other GI issue of some sort, but after my ALT revelation I've realized that where I experience the pain is also the general vicinity of my gallbladder, pancreas, and liver. I've been taking ranitidine and omeprazole for a month as an acid suppressor, and while it's eliminated my other GI symptoms, this pain still comes and goes.

Also in the past week I've been beginning to have bowel movements that might indicate that I'm having issues with bile production, as I've had incidences of light yellow stool, loose stool with a thick yellow-orange substance that floats to the top of the bowl, and loose stool with undigested vegetables. Granted, my GI system isn't used to large quantities of vegetables as I only began to incorporate them in large quantities after the fatty liver "diagnosis", but something seems to be amiss.

I'm not jaundiced, my other liver enzymes were normal, I don't have any nausea, vomiting, bloody stool, or anything like that, but I'm beginning to wonder if my heightened ALT levels have any correlation to the other things I've been experiencing or if, in the opinion of people here who have more expertise in liver issues, they're probably purely coincidental. I'm ever so slightly nervous about my ultrasound but I can't imagine what they'd find other than the expected fat. Also, I think it's worth mentioning that my ALT was apparently 52 during my previous blood test back in March, but my doctor didn't order any tests at that time. Still, I'm not sure what the significance of having an elevated liver enzyme for at least the greater part of a year is, although my diet has been especially bad this year.

I also lost eight pounds in the past week according to my doctor, but he attributes that to some severe anxiety and the resultant loss of appetite. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight on what I should expect in regard to my ultimate liver diagnosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply