It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
(female)

ba kraft HB User
pancreatic problems

OK , i have 2 options either have a stent put into my pancrease into the small intestine or have the whipple operation . I have a cyst on my pancrease, which may have pre-cancerous cells and the Drs. just found a stone or calcification blocking my duct . I also have chronic pancreatitis . I hear the stent may be just a temporary fix , but it is less complicated and shorter recovery . Is there anyone that can give me a suggestion as to what they think especially if they have been through this . Thank you

The following user gives a hug of support to ba kraft:
bobbi416 (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
(female)

bobbi416 HB Userbobbi416 HB User
Re: pancreatic problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba kraft View Post
OK , i have 2 options either have a stent put into my pancrease into the small intestine or have the whipple operation . I have a cyst on my pancrease, which may have pre-cancerous cells and the Drs. just found a stone or calcification blocking my duct . I also have chronic pancreatitis . I hear the stent may be just a temporary fix , but it is less complicated and shorter recovery . Is there anyone that can give me a suggestion as to what they think especially if they have been through this . Thank you
My advise would be to have the stent done with a biopsy of the cyst. I'm not a doctor or nurse but I went through this my sister and the whipple is a very very complicated surgery and you can possibly loose organs unnecessarily. The recovery is very long and painful. You need to make sure that it is NOT cancerous before making that decision, in my opinion. Also make sure that your surgeon has done this surgery before and how many. Ask questions of your doctor, please.

My sister didn't, and she had a doctor that had never done the surgery before and ended up loosing her spleen because of blood flow being cut off. But she also had pancreatic cancer.

I'm not trying to scare you I just want you to make the wright decision. Be proactive it's your body and your life. There is nothing wrong with 2nd and 3rd opinions. God Bless and good luck. Keep us informed.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: bobbi416
ba kraft (11-19-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbi416 For This Useful Post:
ba kraft (11-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
(female)

ba kraft HB User

Thank you for your advice . I have had the cyst biopsied and their are neoplasm , a typical , abnormal cells .....so more or less there are pre cancerous cells in the cyst . Yes I did do a background on my Drs. and my pcp also said they are both very good Drs. and the surgeon has done alotof whipple operations and also studied under one of the best whipple surgeons at Jefferson Hospital . So that makes me feel very comfortable . Also our first visit with him he kind of said he would try to do anything not to do the whipple on me and wanted me to get an MRI and our second visit after the MRI , when the stone was found he referred me to another GI Dr. Tonight the GI Dr. is going to call , he also wanted to talk to the surgeon and really wanted to take a better look at all my tests. I have been thinking alot about this and talking to Family members and since I haven't been eating well , I feel my body isn't as strong as I think it could be to under go such a serious operation and less than 4 months ago I had a heart attack with a stent , so this is a major factor . Another reason I think the surgeon didn't want to push for the whipple ...ggod thing !! I want to see what the GI Drs' opinion is tonight when he calls , but I think I am leaning towards the trial stent . Like putting a plug in a flat tire ....let's see how long we can drive on it before we need to get a new one . That's kind of how I'm looking at it. I have a feeling I am heading down the road to the whipple though : ( Thank you very much for your insightful thoughts and best wishes to your Sister . I hope she is doing better and gets better with each passing day . Much love and gratitude .

The Following User Says Thank You to ba kraft For This Useful Post:
bobbi416 (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
(female)

bobbi416 HB Userbobbi416 HB User

Your very welcome ba,

I'm glad that your prolonging the whipple, how will they be treating the cyst? Have they mentioned a treatment plan?

Thank you for your best wishes for my sister, but sadly she recently passed away. This is why I am here to help in any way I can. What we went through was the toughest thing I have ever done, and to loose her is even tougher. She was only 53, but at least she is no longer suffering. She passed on 11-2-12.

Education is your best friend when dealing with serious medical issues. So please be pro-active and if your confused or have questions don't let them rush you or not answer
your questions to your satisfaction. Always write your questions down so you don't forget them. Take someone with you, because they may catch something that you missed.
Please let me know how things go, and you'll be in my prayers.
Bobbi

Old 11-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

I responded to another post of yours. My father had pancreatitc cancer-I have chronic panreatitis and have EUS every yr.

If you have pre cancer cells, I would not mess around with the wait and see approach. I have seen way to many people do this and not to scare you-but had late stage PC.

I am curious why your dr said you had a divisum or a stone-they are totally different things?

I apparently have a divisum, my dr saw it after 3 EUS-I even question him to make sure thats what it is and not a lesion-the pancreas is very hard to view, so many things go undetected.

I urge you to seek another opinion about the pre cancer cells.

Reply Reply