It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
(female)

pdxwindjammer HB User
Elevated ATL After Wine Tasting in Italy

Greetings! This is my first posting on this site and I am happy to have found it. I have read through several posts already regarding high ATL. I posted this in the general thread on accident and can't find a way to delete it so please excuse the duplicate posting.

I returned from 6 weeks in Europe, mostly in Italy with my wine group on a wine tasting trip. I think I drank every day of this trip (I was on holiday, after all )

I went in for my routine physical less than a week after I returned from my trip and received my report back and it showed my Liver ALT at 73 along with a note from my doctor saying to come back in a few weeks for a retest due to "slightly elevated ATL." My AST was in the normal range at 28. She said to "stop all alcohol and tylenol.

First of all, would my vacation of drinking each day have caused my ATL to be elevated or is this "slightly elevated" ATL a result of drinking long before my vacation? In my regular daily life I drink about 3 glasses of wine 3-4 times a week with dinner.

Secondly, is 3 weeks without any tylenol and alcohol enough time to do a retest?

I ask this because it is the holidays and I have been invited to several holiday parties and I am having one at my house in a week. If I drink a glass of wine at one of the parties before the next blood test is it going to negate the progress of not drinking for the past 2 weeks?

I had bone surgery on my foot a couple of years ago so had not been able to exercize as often so I have put on some weight. Since I returned from my trip I have been doing at least 30 minutes of cardio 5 times a week.

I am becoming a bit obsessed with this elevated ATL and want to do everything in my power to get it back to normal. I just don't want to screw up my next blood test if a glass of wine may cause it to remain elevated.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User
Re: Elevated ATL After Wine Tasting in Italy

Hi pdx, & welcome!

Alcohol does boost the ALT, and holiday parties may well keep it from falling back into normal range for your retest date. Liver enzymes are quite fluid, and three weeks of healthy living may well have your "slightly elevated" enzymes back to normal.

Most doctors don't get alarmed until the ALT gets up around double the upper end of normal for several labs done over several months time. You'll never get into the Guinness Book of World Records for high liver enzymes without even breaking 100. ALT can go several times higher than yours is now before the liver is really inflamed and real damage is occurring.

While it's always wise to follow your doctors advice, a retest during the holiday season seems ill timed, as it will most likely be inconclusive. It will probably be down a bit a month after your vacation, but if you enjoy the holiday cheer at all, it may still read high normal or slightly elevated until you get down to business and get healthy after the new year.

I'm not a doctor, and I can't advise you to ignore your doctors advice; but personally I would enjoy the holidays as moderately as possible, get healthy with the new year, and get re-tested around groundhog's day.

I'm just guessing, but I'd bet a substantial percentage of the worlds population gets "slightly elevated liver enzymes" coming home from a fabulous European vacation and/or during the holiday season. What really matters is how you live the rest of the year, and getting tested during this time (during normal/average alcohol consumption) is what will best indicate whether or not you are stressing your liver unwisely.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
(male)

berkeley3525 HB Userberkeley3525 HB User
Re: Elevated ATL After Wine Tasting in Italy

The range depending on the lab can be anywhere from 5 to 60 for ALT. Your reading of 73 is slightly elevated. I agree with Bill that it has to be a lot higher for a doctor to be concerned.

Consider a liver flush each morning before breakfast: 8oz water, fresh lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon of liquid garlic extract, 30 drops of milk thistle extract, teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar and 30 drops of dandellion extract. This worked for me several years ago when liver panel numbers (ALT, AST, etc) were very high.

Last edited by berkeley3525; 12-09-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Reply Reply