It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
(female)

vandallisa HB User
Diarrhea + Elevated Enzyme levels

Hi everyone

For the past month or so I've been having bad diarrhea. I went to the doctor and got my blood drawn. Some levels were elevated (I don't know the exact numbers) so he asked me to get my blood drawn once a week.

The last report had even higher numbers than the previous 2 tests. Here are some of the numbers marked as "out of range" (normal range in parentheses):

immunoglobulin a, 471 (81-463)
protein total, 8.71 (6.2-8.3)
Globulin 5.0 (2.2-3.9)
Albumin/glob. ratio .7 (1.0-2.1)
Bilirubin, total 3.7 (.2-1.2)
alkaline phosphatase 803 (33-115)

AST 497 (10-30)
ALT 397 (6-40)
Vitamin D, 25 OH 21 (30-100)
GGT 563 ( 3-40)
Ferritin 421 (10-154)

I can't get the ultrasound and GI visit my doctor requested until next Tuesday. I'm currently away at school, it's finals week, and I have 2 jobs -- there really isn't a way I can fit it in until I get home. Plus, I really want to go with my mom !

Anyways, my question is does anyone have any ideas, stories, hypotheses, etc as to what this could be? This health issue is just gnawing at the back of my brain while I'm trying to study!!

Any type of ideas are GREATLY appreciated.

Oh, also, the only "symptom" I have is diarrhea, but it's not every day. It seems worse if I eat something high in fat -- which I rarely eat. My roommate baked cookies yesterday, we had (quite) a few last night and I woke up with really bad diarrhea.

Some more info: I'm 21, female, 5'5", 165 lbs, suffered from an eating disorder 4-5 years ago

Again, thank you !

Last edited by vandallisa; 12-14-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
(female)

vandallisa HB User
Re: Diarrhea + Elevated Enzyme levels

I just got results back from blood I had drawn last week --

GGT 566
ALT 456
AST 624
Alkaline Phosphatase 918

other numbers are generally the same.

Also, MCV and RDW counts moved into the "high" range

MCV 102.0
RDW 16.5

Last edited by vandallisa; 12-14-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User

Hi vandallisa, I'm not a doctor, but I have a couple of thoughts for you to ponder...

High bilirubin & alk/phos in an otherwise healthy young person can indicate obstruction of bile flow from the gallbladder (stones), however this usually has pain and nausea associated with it. As you aren't having this, gallstones would seem less likely, and this is also rare in someone as young as you are.

High iron, combined with high intake of polyunsaturated fats (deep fried foods, fish oil etc), and a deficiency of vitamin-E can cause "lipid peroxidation" which can also inflame the liver. If you've been taking iron for anemia (common in young females), and mixing this with fish oil supplements, this could cause problems.

If the above issues don't apply, you might consider endotoxin combined with a leaky gut. Any antibiotic use (especially Z-Pak) in the past few months, combined with regular use of pain meds (especially aspirin and/or ibuprofen) can cause an overgrowth of bad bacteria in the colon; and pain meds can cause endotoxin from this bad bacteria to leak into blood that goes from the colon to the liver.

If you've been partying a bit and using acetaminophen (aka Tylenol / paracetamol) perhaps for headache, this can also inflame your liver more than a lot of folks realize. Alcohol and pain meds do not mix, even at different times of the day.

Still striking out? Have you been tested for hepatitis? Mono? Any fad diets or weight loss supplements recently?

I'm running out of ideas, but if any of the above applies to you, you might look into these.

Good Luck and GodSpeed to you!

Last edited by BillinSD; 12-14-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: addition

Old 12-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
(female)

painter207 HB User

Vadilissa..I feel your pain. I'm going through the same worry, and I'm hoping I also can get some suport from others on here. Had blood drawn 8 weeks ago which showed elevated liver enzymes. Doc wanted a retest in 8 weeks which was yesterday. Talked to the nurse because he is out of the office till next Wed.(Darn) She said they are the same and haven't gone down OR up. I'm so disapointed and worried right now.The first time I went in I had taken ' Pure green coffee extract' for 5 weeks prior. Wouldn't that be out of my system by now? I stopped it imediately. Nothing else is any different than in the past. I have ocassional wine...Does anyone know how long to not have wine before this kind of a test? I had some on Tues. night and my test was Fiday morning. My mind has myself having cancer of the liver.Sigh......Does anyone know what 'scarey High' liver anzymes might be at? That's not my case but was wondering. The nurse said 2 of the levels are normal and three are elevated. I of course don't know anything about this.Hope to hear from you soon. Vandalissa, please keep us updated. I'm praying things will be ok.

The Following User Says Thank You to painter207 For This Useful Post:
vandallisa (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
(female)

vandallisa HB User

Such an extensive list! None of those really apply to me though. I was tested for hepatitis, and it was negative.

One more thing I realized that might be an odd symptom -- if I wake up in the morning with burps that taste really nasty (almost like eggs and carbonated?) I will have a bad day -- I have two more finals to get through and then I'll have my ultrasound on Tuesday. I'll update then.

Also, are the counts from my blood test extremely high? I try to talk to my family about it and it seems to upset them? Please be brutally honest!

Last edited by vandallisa; 12-16-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: additional info added.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User

Your numbers are high and seem to be heading in the wrong direction, but I've read of patients with numbers twice what you have so things could be worse. When your liver is really sick it lets you know. You have no appetite or energy to eat or do anything, so the fact that you're up and about and eating is a good sign.

Spiking high enzymes, alk/phos etc can be distressing, but as long as this doesn't go on too long it shouldn't cause lasting problems. The key is getting to the bottom of what's going on and fixing it as soon as possible.

You're young and strong, and should bounce right back once you figure out what's going on and start working on it.

Best of luck on the ultrasound... Ask the tech who does the US if you've got a "bright echo". This is a sign of fatty liver which is easy to fix with diet. A choline deficiency can also cause fatty liver. Meat and eggs are the best sources of choline. Have you been avoiding meat/eggs the past few months?

Looking forward to hearing what is actually going on!

Last edited by BillinSD; 12-16-2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: addition

Old 12-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
(female)

vandallisa HB User

Thanks BillinSD I probably eat meat/eggs once a week if that -- I've never really enjoyed eating them!

I've read that a sudden weight gain can lead to a fatty liver, so I'm wondering if my weight gain after my eating disorder has caught up with me now!

Old 12-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
(male)

Sudden weight gain usually doesn't stress a liver as much as sudden weight loss, but then who knows.

Meat/eggs once a week is NOT enough to provide adequate choline though. Google around on choline deficiency and see what you can find. Active young college kids can not live on top ramen and pasta alone!

I'm not a doctor, but I'll go out on a limb here and prescribe EGGS! Eggs have more choline than any other food you might eat, and your poor liver will probably tolerate them better than meat in it's delicate state. Choline is your liver's favorite nutrient and will help regardless of anything else that is going on if you've been short changing your liver on this nutrient lately.

Don't get carried away, but do try adding a few eggs per week while you work on getting to the bottom of your problem. If it's fatty liver from choline deficiency, you'll be on the mend before you get a proper diagnosis.

If you can't stomach eggs (or meat) a Lecithin supplement will provide choline, but you should ask your doc about any supplement you might consider before you actually try it.

Also... Be sure and tell your doctor you rarely eat choline rich foods. This may help him/her with your diagnosis.

Last edited by BillinSD; 12-16-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: addition

Old 12-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
(female)

painter207 HB User

Vandallisa, from my point of view your enzymes seem high. Mine are less than tree times that amount and I AM concerned. Thanks 'Bill' for all your insite, I apreciate it and am learning quite a bit. I'll have to see what the Dr. wants to do with me when he comes back to his office on Wed.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
(female)

vandallisa HB User

I finally got results back from my doctor. I have autoimmune hepatitis. I will be having a liver biopsy next week to determine how much damage has been done -- she said the U/S showed signs that my current "flare-up" has been going on a while. Thanks for everyone's help!

Reply Reply