It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

painter207 HB User
Elevated Liver Enzymes again...

Two days ago I had a liver function 'retest'. In Oct. they where higher than the normal that they were in April. When the nurse told me they stayed the same, I was just able to jot down the first numbers because I was totally upset. Alt-45 Alp-126. Is this bad? I'm not having any side effects, take only a drug that isin't listed as raising these enzymes. Could an acumlative effect cause these to rise anyway? I've been on it close to 5 years. Can't imagine my Dr. giving it to me if this cause problems. I take Omega 3, Calcium and D3,
and a baby asprin. I have Osteoporosis but do not take drugs for that. In fact I don't take Aleve for joint pain because it freaks me out for fear of getting some sort of side effect. Any input would be apreciated.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User
Re: Elevated Liver Enzymes again............

Two of the commonest causes of elevated enzymes are alcohol and cholesterol so if you drink more than the recommended safe limits then it's best to cut it back, if you haven't had your cholesterol tested for a while then it's worth checking to see if it is high and try to bring it down, which will in turn reduce your liver enzymes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User

Omega 3 supplements are popular these days, but they do oxidize very easily in the liver and can cause inflammation when they do.

Vitamin-E is the body's best tool to fight lipid peroxidation, and many feel it is important to supplement vitamin-E with omega-3 supplements to insure the highly polyunsaturated omega-3 does not oxidize in the body.

Many omega-3 supplements actually contain a small amount of vitamin-E in them to keep the supplement from going rancid in the bottle, but this is not enough vitamin-E to prevent oxidation in your body.

You should ask your doctor about this before you try vitamin-E, but make sure he/she knows you are taking omega-3's so he/she understands why you might need supplemental vitamin-E.

Don't know about the med you are on, but if your enzymes have been OK on this med for 5 years it would seem unusual for it to start causing problems now.

Last edited by BillinSD; 12-17-2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: addition

The Following User Says Thank You to BillinSD For This Useful Post:
painter207 (12-19-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
(female)

painter207 HB User

Well, my AST is 45 and my ALT is 126. I'm freaking out and they are calling me for a CT scan. All the other blood work is perfect. Can having 2 wine a night before dinner be the cause? I'm baffeled. Take only vitamins and a drug for breast cancer, which is a 5 year perscription. Doc says this would not cause the elevation.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter207 View Post
Well, my AST is 45 and my ALT is 126.
In your first post you said your ALT was 45 and your ALP was 126??? which are the correct numbers?

Old 12-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
(male)

rather HB User
Re: Elevated Liver Enzymes again...

I do not thing that both tablets are not good. They are enough but I think you need some more medicine.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
(female)

painter207 HB User
Re: Elevated Liver Enzymes again...

Ok I goofed I guess....My AST went from 49 to 45. My ALT went from 125 to 126. Having an abdominal scan today.

Reply Reply