It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
(male)

tlasoya808 HB User
High ALT/AST - Amoxocillin?

Aloha,

I have been suffering from dry mouth and black/green tongue since the beginning of the month when I was diagnosed with acute tonsillitis and prescribed a week of prednisone/amoxocillin. That cured the tonsillitis (which manifested in swollen lymph nodes in the neck, sore jaw) but now I have a very dry mouth. Went to the DR for blood work and just started receiving the results. I am freaked out by the numbers and hope someone can share some insights/thoughts.

My numbers:

ALT Serum 293
AMYLASE 48
AST Serum 166
Bilirubin 2.6
BUN 6
Platelets 568 (the rest of the CBC panel was normal)
Creatine .9
LDL 228
HDL 39
Cholesterol 302 (yikes!)
ESR, Westergren 29
Thyroid tests were fine

I am a 279lb male, 5-9" 42 years old. I eat mostly a healthy diet, don't drink a whole lot and up until I got sick was exercising 3-4 days a week 45 minutes on elliptical trainer. I have lost 10 lbs over the past two weeks, but I attribute that to dry mouth and food not tasting good. I have an appetite. No other symptoms. No jaundice. No urine discoloration. Some loose stools, but I have been eating soups, yogurts, juicing just to not have to deal with no saliva.

Is it possible that my high liver enzyme levels are due to the amoxocillin/prednisone? I have been off both for 12 days. The cholesterol is surprising to me as I eat a healthy diet, but I do consume a lot of butter/whole milk and do binge on occasion. Those things stop today. More concerned about the liver levels, however.

Any insights (until I can get to my doctor) would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,

Tony

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
(male)

tlasoya808 HB User
Re: High ALT/AST - Amoxocillin?

Just got my A1C results. Was 5%, in the normal range. So despite being obese, not diabetic.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

It is most likely being caused by your cholesterol which is very high, that tends to send enzymes, particularly ALT levels up which are also really high. The bulk of cholesterol is made by the body in the liver and some people just have a tendency to produce lots of it so your doctor will want to put you on statins to bring that cholesterol right down and that may take a while to do. But your liver enzymes will come down too as a result, but the most obvious cause is your very excessive cholesterol is causing it.

And yes, you need to get away from butter, all high fat dairy and fatty animal products including fatty meats. You need to get this under control before it damages your liver. also with your ALT being so high, your doctor will likely suggest an ultrasound to check for fatty liver which is very likely with those results

Last edited by captjane; 12-21-2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-21-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
(male)

rather HB User

Some person provide good thing here.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
(male)

tlasoya808 HB User

Thank you captnjane!

I have new numbers as well, as the doctor wanted to continue testing:

ALK PHOS 242 (standard range 20-126)
GGT 315 (standard range 7-50)
PT 13.4 (standard range 11.5-14.5)
APTT 29.4 (standard range 25.0-39.0)

Ugh. I feel fine (when I am not worrying and assuming the worst). I have energy. I am not eating as much due to the dry mouth and keep losing weight. Been juicing, avoiding fats and trying to stay calm. Doctor wants to do an ultrasound next week. He doesn't seem TOO concerned. But obviously I am. This is a HUGE wake up call.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
(male)

tlasoya808 HB User

So to update, doctor emailed me that he felt my condition was not going to worsen and that the numbers, while bad, were not severe. Wants me to keep eating healthy, exercising and scheduled an ultrasound next month to check on my liver. Wants to do another blood test in 1-2 weeks to see where we are at. So, I guess we will see...

Old 12-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

You should be concerned in that your cholesterol and liver results are very unhealthy, but you can turn this around. Losing weight will help, and cholesterol medication and diet changes are really important, and this is going to take some time to fix but keep at it. If you can get your doctor to refer you to a dietician it would be a real help so you can learn to make healthy choices. You need protein, carbohydrates, vegetables, and fats in you diet, but they have to be chosen well so that you get a balanced healthy diet that you can maintain long term, but without overloading your body with unhealthy type fats etc. Good luck

Last edited by captjane; 12-21-2012 at 07:35 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to captjane For This Useful Post:
MissBecky82 (01-13-2013)
Old 12-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
(male)

tlasoya808 HB User

Agreed, captjane. I am VERY concerned and this whole ordeal is a wake up call. I have already altered my diet and have started juicing and eating lots of veggies. I have lost 16 lbs in the last three weeks due to diet changes (not having saliva helped as things I used to eat became very difficult to eat). Saliva situation is getting a little better, but yeah, fruits, veggies, lean protein, healthy fats as I move forward. Doctor said he was not concerned about the weight loss as I have made serious diet changes, so I guess Im not concerned about that either. Will just move forward with a very different lifestyle. I will update this thread as I get more test results as hopefully it can help other people.

Last edited by tlasoya808; 12-22-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Spelling

Reply Reply