It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
(male)

Matt001 HB User
Elevated liver enzyme

Is a liver enzyme ALT of 56 bad?

i read that elevated liver enzymes can be due to a heart problem as well would that raise ALT?

or is it more likely i have a fatty liver...there are so many things i read and no real answer would it be higher than that if i had a heart problem or some sort of perm damage to my liver?

Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
(male)

Matt001 HB User
Re: Elevated liver enzyme

so then what sort of Herbs should I try?.. I don't understand sorry.

I have already started a better diet mostly vegetables and fruits i have stopped drinking other stuff it is now only tea and water.

I can say that i am truly starting to feel better as well and sleeping better but i still wanna try to do all that i can to prevent anything from progressing.

Last edited by Matt001; 01-08-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

You can't diagnose anything specific just on liver enzymes because there are a number of different things that can elevate them, so they're more of an indication that something is going and even the ratios between the different enzymes will vary depending on the cause. But with alt, you first want to eliminate the common causes, which are basically excess alcohol consumption, high fat diet and high cholesterol levels, medications that are processed by the liver. Your alt is slightly elevated so it would be more of an indication that the liver is under stress. Is your GGT elevated aswell?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
(male)

Matt001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjane View Post
You can't diagnose anything specific just on liver enzymes because there are a number of different things that can elevate them, so they're more of an indication that something is going and even the ratios between the different enzymes will vary depending on the cause. But with alt, you first want to eliminate the common causes, which are basically excess alcohol consumption, high fat diet and high cholesterol levels, medications that are processed by the liver. Your alt is slightly elevated so it would be more of an indication that the liver is under stress. Is your GGT elevated aswell?
no just ALT my HDL cholestrol was too low he said i think it was 33 my LDL was fine.

my glucose was 1 point over as well it was suppose to have a max range of like 99 and it was 100.

other than that he says my heart/lung sound fine but wants to get an EKG just incase but i can't afford it at the moment due to no insurance my kidneys are also fine.

He wants me to test again in 3 months but he did give me lisinopril-hctz for high blood pressure of which i take a potassium pill as well because i had swelling in my legs which is now controlled my average reading i am sending to him soon as he requested

Jan 3rd - 119/78 P 86 @ 2:00 PM
Jan 4th - 129/73 P 75 @ 9:00 PM
Jan 5th - 108/68 P 80 @ 8:07 PM
Jan 6th - 116/68 P 82 @ 3:48 PM
Jan 7th - 119/82 P 98 @ 1:21 PM
Jan 8th - 114/71 P 89 @ 2:48 PM

i had started lisinopril-hctz with the potassium a month before the blood test. the test was on December 14th.

Last edited by Matt001; 01-08-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User

what about alcohol? do you drink regularly?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
(male)

Matt001 HB User

Quote:
what about alcohol? do you drink regularly?
no i don't drink at all never have nor smoke i mean i have tried it in the past but it never became a habbit.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matt001 For This Useful Post:
McRegnal87 (01-13-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

did your doc check your triglycerides when he did the chol tests? what were they like?

Last edited by captjane; 01-08-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
(male)

Matt001 HB User

Quote:
did your doc check your triglycerides when he did the chol tests? what were they like?
nothing else was out of range but i had started a pretty strict diet a month before so they could have been diff before then I'm not sure.

He showed me the results and only 3 were highlighted which were glucose, hdl, and ALT

other than that everything else has normal readings.

the two tests he had ordered was a comp metabolic panel and a lipid panel i think.

Last edited by Matt001; 01-08-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

ok, so it's not alcohol or meds or chol. The only other suggestion I can make is if you have been eating a high fat and or high processed carb diet in the past that can elevate your alt, also if you are quite overweight, but if you have recently started eating healthier it wouldn't necessarily have come back down yet. I would keep up with the diet and get it retested in a few months to see if it comes down.

the glucose reading is interesting because normally if you have high glucose, even borderline, you'd expect your trigs to be elevated.

Last edited by captjane; 01-08-2013 at 12:12 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to captjane For This Useful Post:
Matt001 (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
(male)

Matt001 HB User

Quote:
ok, so it's not alcohol or meds or chol. The only other suggestion I can make is if you have been eating a high fat and or high processed carb diet in the past that can elevate your alt, also if you are quite overweight, but if you have recently started eating healthier it wouldn't necessarily have come back down yet. I would keep up with the diet and get it retested in a few months to see if it comes down.

the glucose reading is interesting because normally if you have high glucose, even borderline, you'd expect your trigs to be elevated.
Alright thanks i guess time will tell i am feeling a lot better so maybe the diet is working heh.

Reply Reply