It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
(female)

89bri HB User
Angry Elevated Liver Enzymes

alright so I am going to post and run to bed and I am sorry about that and if there are any mistakes in my post, I am sorry but it is almost 2 am. Last Wednesday I went to the ER for some of the worst pain I have ever experienced (I have had a child and gallbladder attacks that led to having my gallbladder removal so I am no stranger to pain). The pain was in my lower chest/upper abdomen, extended up into my right shoulder, the right side of my neck, and into my back on the right side. When I went to the ER it was the second time I had the pains that day and both times it lasted for about half an hour or so. The ER checked to see if I had a heart attack and then ran blood work to double check that it wasn't a heart attack. They said that everything looked fine but to see my doctor in 5-6 days. I took a copy of the lab work home with me and looked over them after I got settled in at home. Here were the things that were abnormal with my labs ranges.

MPV - 10.6 fL (7.4-10.4 fL)
Eosinophils - 4.0% (1.0-3.0%)
Absolute Eosinophils 0.4 K/uL (0.0-0.3 K/uL)
ALT(SGPT) - 75 U/L (9-52 U/L)
AST (SGOT) - 71 U/L (14-36 U/L)

Everything else that they had tested for came back normal. Now let me list conditions/diseases I suffer from and the medications I take for them, plus any other vitamins and such I take.

Diabetes (Metformin)
High Blood Pressure (Metoprolol)
High Cholesterol (Simvistatin)
Migraines (Topimax & Imitrex)
Anxiety (Celexa)
Philips Colon Health Probiotic
One-A-Day Daily Multivitamin

I'm 24. I've been diabetic since 2010 diagnosis (which at the time my ALT was 23 and my AST was 22). I know I have a lot of things working against me here that could actually be causing the elevated liver enzymes and I know they aren't THAT elevated, but compared to what they were in 2010. I go to see my doctor Thursday afternoon and was hoping someone could post something to ease my mind until then.

As far as I know there is no history of liver problems in my family, now lung, bladder, pancreas, gallbladder, heart..those are all a different story...genetics are a b***h and they sure are working against me, I'm just trying my hardest to fight back. I mean in the last 2 years I've lost 80 lbs and am now only considered overweight instead of morbidly obese. That is quite an accomplishment in itself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User
Re: Elevated Liver Enzymes

Hi bri... No need to waste a perfectly good panic just yet. Elevated liver enzymes are cause for concern, but doctors don't usually get alarmed until they are over double the normal upper limit.

Often in a case like this your doc might simply schedule a re-test in 90 days to see if the elevation was a transient event. With your acute symptoms, an ultrasound may be indicated which might show fatty liver or possibly remaining stones in the common bile duct.

Prescription meds can also raise liver enzymes, and the statin (Simvistatin) may be the prime suspect. Often when doctors start patients on statins, they begin at a low dose and then raise the dose after several months to get cholesterol down to where they want it. If your doc has been raising your dose of Simvistatin, he/she may want to lower it back a bit to see if it helps your situation.

Rapid weight loss can stress a liver too, either through poor diet when nutrition is restricted, or simply by the stress of having to break down all the fat coming out of your body into energy instead of simply using dietary nutrients.

I'm not a doctor, so you need to get the whole story from yours, but in the mean time, please don't stress out over this. Your symptoms are more distressing than the mildly elevated LFT's, so if you need something to worry about, worry about properly diagnosing what's causing your pain. Your doc will probably have a plan for this.

Best of Luck to you!

Reply Reply