It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
(male)

kcshogun HB User
nervous about liver enzymes...

can somebody help me out with this? I've got my self in a stupid position...been a drinker for 10 years, but not daily, just weekends for the most part. but the bad part is that I've been a fairly heavy hydro user...got hooked after a couple minor surgeries. 10/350 were the choice...I never went over 8 tabs per day; that was the most ever. typically 1-5 per day, but would miss occasionally. which I am DONE with forever now...and drinking. my health is the most important thing - not as much for me,but my family. ive always been "the son/nephew/cousin/etc".

btw - i'm 30 yr old. 5-10,165lbs, good health otherwise. went for a typical DR checkup - it had been 5+ yrs. here is my blood results....and i'm FREAKING:

CBC = normal
Cholesteral = 170
Tryg = 75
HDL = 70
LDL = 85
Liver Enzymes....(i'm sick, but want to know my situation and what I can do)
AST = 68
ALT = 89

thoughts and any advice? the last thing I want to do is die this young with so much upside. i'm an idiot and 100% determined to change.

thanks in advance

Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
(male)

Hypochondriacyy HB User
Re: nervous about liver enzymes...

those numbers looks pretty good. Most doctors wouldnt even mention those slight elevations to you. what did your doctor say?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
(male)

kcshogun HB User

thank you for the response. helps calm my nerves.

i am moving to a different chapter in my life after this.

he told me to come in and get another blood test - i had just take about 20 - 5/500 tabs leading up to that test; including 3 the morning of my blood test.

....and he wanted to test me for Hep C.

thoughts?

i'm now taking milk thistle, healthy vitamins (not muscle bldg sups), SAMe, MSM and some vit B/C drink mix. along with a gallon or 2 of water per day...doing this since Monday. BIG WHOOP, but it's a start.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
(male)

tbake33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcshogun View Post
can somebody help me out with this? I've got my self in a stupid position...been a drinker for 10 years, but not daily, just weekends for the most part. but the bad part is that I've been a fairly heavy hydro user...got hooked after a couple minor surgeries. 10/350 were the choice...I never went over 8 tabs per day; that was the most ever. typically 1-5 per day, but would miss occasionally. which I am DONE with forever now...and drinking. my health is the most important thing - not as much for me,but my family. ive always been "the son/nephew/cousin/etc".

btw - i'm 30 yr old. 5-10,165lbs, good health otherwise. went for a typical DR checkup - it had been 5+ yrs. here is my blood results....and i'm FREAKING:

CBC = normal
Cholesteral = 170
Tryg = 75
HDL = 70
LDL = 85
Liver Enzymes....(i'm sick, but want to know my situation and what I can do)
AST = 68
ALT = 89

thoughts and any advice? the last thing I want to do is die this young with so much upside. i'm an idiot and 100% determined to change.

thanks in advance
Your enzymes aren't too bad. I didn't see a result for bilirubin. Did he test for that? Any pain in your right side?

Old 04-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
(male)

kcshogun HB User

no pain. just been pretty hard on my liver/body lately...doing the opposite of what I should do, after reading/researching the liver.

i'm gonna do things right for a couple weeks, then head back for followup testing.

what are your thoughts?

Old 04-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Your enzymes are elevated but not to dangerous levels. It is probably from the vicodin's tylenol component, as Tylenol is very hard on the liver. If you have stopped both the alcohol and Vicodin, your enzymes will probably be back to normal or lower next time unless something unrelated is going on. You might tell your Dr the whole story if you haven't, get your enzymes checked again, and have them run the hep C panel only if the enzymes are still elevated. The order can be written that way, and they;ll just draw an extra tube of blood and hold it for the hep C if it is needed.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
(male)

kcshogun HB User

what do you think? what if I do all this right, go back in 2 weeks and their still high? i'm hopeful the high levels aren't permanent. thanks for your feedback. it helps me

Old 04-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
(male)

tbake33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcshogun View Post
what do you think? what if I do all this right, go back in 2 weeks and their still high? i'm hopeful the high levels aren't permanent. thanks for your feedback. it helps me

Only cross bridges that exist.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
(male)

kcshogun HB User

think they'll go down to normal levels, if I follow thru?

what exactly is Hep C ?

I doubt I have Cirrhosis of the liver at this point, but ....?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Hepatitis C is viral infection of liver. Doubt you have either that or cirrhosis, probably just med/ alcohol effect, and 2 weeks may be nbough to let enzymes come to normal from these levels. Surely by 4 weeks if it is just medication and not something else. Hep C is transmitted by blood transfusion, IV drug use, sexual contact with infected persons. It tends to be chronic rather than acute (shoirt term) like Hepatitis B or A. If you need anything for pain take aspirin or ibuprofen, not tylenol, in next couple of weeks.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
(male)

kcshogun HB User

ive decided to just live with any pain/discomforts. my biggest concern was if I tried to wait 2-4 weeks to get healthy and my liver was just bad and become really bad. can I die from high enzymes?? i'm an idiot. sorry for the stupid questions. very very much appreciate your comments. thank you

Old 04-17-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
(male)

tbake33 HB User

High enzymes are only an indicator that your liver is not happy. The liver is regenerative and can heal itself if you let it. I would lay off the booze and meds and see what happens.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
(male)

kcshogun HB User

so how bad do you think my enzymes are?

Old 04-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Some people have enzymes over 500 during acute hepatitis, so yours aren't too bad, but obviously any elevation is concerning, and you want to see them recover completely to normal levels and protect your liver going forward.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #15
(male)

kcshogun HB User

thanks. how long should I give my liver to rejuvenate a bit from responsible/healthy living..

Reply Reply