It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2003, 07:59 AM   #1

reido HB User
productive cough after eating?

Can anyone help me with this problem? I have been having a problem experiencing a productive cough immediately after eating for some time now, and it appears to be getting cumulatively worse over time. Right after eating just about anything, I get congestion in my throat and lungs whereby I have to cough up and clear my throat of congestion. I often have to clear my throat for up to an hour after the meal to eliminate the feeling of congestion, which of course is very exhausting and I'm sure irritating to anyone within earshot.

It seems the bigger the meal, the worse the problem. Also, if I eat in bed or in any kind of hunched over position (i.e. at the keyboard), this seems to aggravate the problem consiserably. I do not have any other kind of symptoms that I can identify. I am an otherwise healthy 45 year old male who exercises regularly and is slim with good blood pressure and other medical indicators.

Has anyone else heard of this problem and what the cause and treatment is? Thanks for any help!

The Following User Says Thank You to reido For This Useful Post:
andreaandsteve (03-26-2012)
Old 11-17-2003, 08:47 AM   #2

Betty03 HB User
Hi Reido,

I have had the same problem for at least the past five years. Its very frustrating. I went to see my family doctor about this, and he said my throat (pipe or something, can't remeber now it was so long ago) might be too small, and I am unable to clear the area without coughing. He took some xrays but found no problem...and told me I'm fine. Well I still have the problem and I think it's gotten worse, and pretty embarassing at times.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2003, 02:58 PM   #3

reido HB User
productive cough after eating

Betty,

Have you noticed this problem getting worse over time? Do you find it is worse depending on the size of the meal and/or your sitting location/position while eating? I think I'm going to analyze this problem very carefully over time and record my symptoms. Will keep you apprised of my findings. Thanks,

Reid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty03
Hi Reido,

I have had the same problem for at least the past five years. Its very frustrating. I went to see my family doctor about this, and he said my throat (pipe or something, can't remeber now it was so long ago) might be too small, and I am unable to clear the area without coughing. He took some xrays but found no problem...and told me I'm fine. Well I still have the problem and I think it's gotten worse, and pretty embarassing at times.

Old 11-17-2003, 07:33 PM   #4

ldolson HB User
Have you undergone any reflux testing? You can have reflux that goes into your trachea and into your lungs and that can cause the irritation.

Old 11-26-2003, 07:36 PM   #5

kathy z HB User
Re: productive cough after eating?

Reido,
I have the same problem, and I suspect that it is related to acid reflux. The kinds of foods known to aggrevate reflux seem to cause more coughing and more phlegm. Chocolate, caffiene, and fatty foods (fries) are the worst, but sometimes just drinking alot of water can trigger it. Strangely, I never feel heartburn. I discovered that I have reflux because I visited the doctor for another problem, the loss of my voice. I had been hoarse for many years, and I finally decided to do something about it. The doctor put me on ranitidine and nexium (reflux meds) and I got my voice back within two weeks. Whenever I allow myself to run out of my meds, I lose my voice within a few days. In regard to the cough, I have hunted all over the web, and most of the time reflux causes a dry cough, not a productive cough. My scientific guess is that some people are protected from some of the corrosive effects of reflux because they have an unusual ability to secrete mucus from the lining of the esophagus (everyone secretes it from the lining of the stromach). So while it is annoying and disgusting to those around us, it may actually be protecting us from a worser fate! Let me know if you ever really find out what causes your cough, and if there is any way to make it stop!

Closed Thread