It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2004, 12:21 PM   #1

eilrash HB User
Arrow 8mm Nodule ?? Histoplasmosis

My dr. recently found an 8mm nodule in my left lower lung that is plural based that is non calcified, but fairly symetrical in shape. She feels it was caused by exposure to histoplasmosis (i live in the south). I have to get another CT scan in early march to determine if the nodule is growing. IF so we will take other steps then. Has anyone been exposed to histoplasmosis or have a nodule like this? She tells me not to worry, however it is kinda strange having this in my lung and it being "ok". I have been to two doctors now and they are both telling me not to worry, but are not offering anything other than sitting and waiting for another ct scan in march. Isn't there anything else that can be done or other test that they can do to make sure it is not cancer. I'm somewhat worried because the nodule is not calcified. Any suggestions???

Last edited by eilrash; 01-06-2004 at 09:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2004, 10:40 AM   #2

genners HB User
Re: 8mm Nodule ?? Histoplasmosis

I have the same thing but mine is 7mm. Usually lung nodules under 1-2cm do not concern doctors as much. FYI 10mm=1cm. However, it is good to follow up with the CAT scan. I had the same conclusions drawn regarding histoplasmosis/valley fever. I'm having my first CAT scan tonight, actually. I just recovered from bronchitis and also have pleurisy. I'm hoping that it is just a scar from the respiratory infection. Have you had many respiratory infections? Here's some good news: 1 in 500 x-rays will detect a lung nodule - most are benign. I found that in my research.

Genners

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilrash
My dr. recently found an 8mm nodule in my left lower lung that is plural based that is non calcified, but fairly symetrical in shape. She feels it was caused by exposure to histoplasmosis (i live in the south). I have to get another CT scan in early march to determine if the nodule is growing. IF so we will take other steps then. Has anyone been exposed to histoplasmosis or have a nodule like this? She tells me not to worry, however it is kinda strange having this in my lung and it being "ok". I have been to two doctors now and they are both telling me not to worry, but are not offering anything other than sitting and waiting for another ct scan in march. Isn't there anything else that can be done or other test that they can do to make sure it is not cancer. I'm somewhat worried because the nodule is not calcified. Any suggestions???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
(female)

cddckd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilrash View Post
Hi, I have just had a CT scan for my heart and they also did a total chest ct and discoverd a 8mm noncalcified nodule in my lower left lung. I also live in the south. Just wondering what you found out. they told my to wait 3 months and have another. I am really worried and don't know what to do except wait. Dont think I can stand thinking about this for 3 months. Please let me know what else I can do

Old 05-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
(female)

louie773 HB User

Hi,

I have blastomycosis, which I gather is similar to histoplasmosis in that they are both fungal diseases. Blasto ic endemic in the region. Mine was in the lung, like yours. However, my doctor immediately diagnosed it as cancer, and told me it needed to be cut out. So, he took the lower lobe of my lung out and then discovered that it was blasto. Now I have to have the drug therapy for the blastomycosis anyway. I think you are lucky that yours was properly diagnosed. It IS possible for these to go away on their own. I think that histoplasmosis has another name.....valley fever. There is a valley fever message board out there.....do a ****** for it and you will find many many

Closed Thread