It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2004, 12:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
question about emphysema and percent of lung function

My father has emphysema and yes, still smokes. He is not on oxygen yet, but dont think thats far away. I took him to the dr today, as he hasnt been able to breathe good. First, concerning oxygen, he was considering putting him on it today, but had my father to walk a short distance to see if his oxygen level would drop----it didnt, so we are holding off on oxygen for now. My real question is----and to be truthful, I am not sure I want the answer---but need to prepare myself and my mother, if its what I think. The dr told him today that his lung function is only 23%---and that most die when it is only 20%. Does this mean that we have the potential of losing him this year? I think I know the answer to this---but I guess I am hoping for something positive from someone. Could someone give me a better understanding of this? Thanks

Old 01-22-2004, 04:34 PM   #2

hc85 HB User
Re: question about emphysema and percent of lung function

I know some emphysematic patients who have lived five or so years on 16% or less lung function. As an asthmatic, I have even seen those numbers during an exacerbation. I myself only breathe at 45% of my function. Get him to stop smoking and maybe things will improve!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc85
I know some emphysematic patients who have lived five or so years on 16% or less lung function. As an asthmatic, I have even seen those numbers during an exacerbation. I myself only breathe at 45% of my function. Get him to stop smoking and maybe things will improve!

I am not taking this lightly, but, it does give me hope that we dont have to be terrified of him going below 23% (meaning that getting below 23% doesnt necessarily mean death soon)--I did, however, speak to his P.A. after I posted this. She said that if he did not quit smoking, that we are looking at 1-2 years max. I am not counting on him quitting, as he is not that strong willed. He has quit a couple of times over the last 3 years--only for 6 months---but he became aggravated and started back again. His lung function was at 30% in May 2002---so, as she said, if he is losing 7% every 1 1/2 years, it will likely mean that he will lose 3% this year, (which will put him at the 20% that the dr said that most are dead at 20%), if he fails to stop smoking. I would still like to hear from others and their knowledge/experience.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:37 PM   #4

hc85 HB User

Stopping smoking can really cut the progression of emphysema, and sometimes even halt it. I hope you can talk him into quitting.

Closed Thread