It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2004, 07:34 PM   #1

HealthBdMember HB User
Question Nasal Congestion

I've been searching for the answer to this for a long time.

For a long time I have suffered from severe nasal congestion. I guess I have overactive mucous membranes (I have a lot of mucous and I'm not a smoker). I don't always have it all day long, but when I do get it, I get it bad. I could go to sleep at night and be fine, but when I wake up I find that one side of my nose is very congested.

Here's what has baffled me for a long time...

When my left nostril clears and I can breathe out of it, my right nostril becomes congested. And when my right nostril clears, then my left nostril becomes congested. It's very frustrating that I can't get rid of the congestion out of both nostrils at the same time.

So my question is, could someone please tell me why does nasal congestion switch sides like that?

Last edited by HealthBdMember; 04-05-2004 at 07:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User
Re: Nasal Congestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthBdMember
I've been searching for the answer to this for a long time.

For a long time I have suffered from severe nasal congestion. I guess I have overactive mucous membranes (I have a lot of mucous and I'm not a smoker). I don't always have it all day long, but when I do get it, I get it bad. I could go to sleep at night and be fine, but when I wake up I find that one side of my nose is very congested.

Here's what has baffled me for a long time...

When my left nostril clears and I can breathe out of it, my right nostril becomes congested. And when my right nostril clears, then my left nostril becomes congested. It's very frustrating that I can't get rid of the congestion out of both nostrils at the same time.

So my question is, could someone please tell me why does nasal congestion switch sides like that?
I don't really know, but my guess is that it has to do with the sinuses. When I wake up in the morning, like you, one side of my nose is stuffy, but when I stand up, it seems to clear a little. I have chronic maxillary and ethmoid sinusitis, and this is what I attribute the nasal congestion to. I use two sprays of Nasonex in the morning and that seems to do the trick. Maybe you could ask your doctor about a nasal spray like Nasonex or Flonase. Since it's been going on for a while, my guess is that maybe you have allergies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread