It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2004, 03:50 PM   #1

Bill Magic HB User
Pain in lung,back and arm..

Ive been having a problem for a few months now. It seemed to stem from a case of bronchitus I had about 4 months ago. Now its like if I take a deep breath I feel a little pain in my back as if it coming from the back of my left lung. I also have like a compromised left side. I'll get a dull pain that starts in my back and travels up to my shoulders and then down my arm. The whole left side just feels weaker somehow. Like holding up the left arm for any length of time is bothersome. I also cough up quite a bit of sputum. (about 4 or 5 times a day and its brown in color)
So for some reason it seems like my lungs just aren't able to handle anything anymore and the left lung seems compromised. I've cut down drasticly on smoking but the left arm and weakness still continues.
I had a chest xray and they said it was OK. Also, they listened to my lungs and said they sound OK. I was told that it could possibly be like a asthma type of thing where a tube is blocked by inflammation or something.
Has anybody had any lung disorder that caused them weakness and a sensation in their shoulders/arms? I have no clue what this could be.. Any advice would be appreciated..thx..

Old 04-22-2004, 07:18 PM   #2

always confuzed HB User
Re: Pain in lung,back and arm..

Hi bill, i am sorry to hear you are having problems. I too am going through a similar thing as well. So i will try to give you some insight. I too started having an abnormal amount of phlegm, which was bloody for about a week. Generally very brown though all the time. Very very tired and weak, loss of appetite as well. This all started back in beginning of march. Went to doc and got x-ray which was clear. Given z-pack and sent home. Well that didnt sit right with me so i got a second opinion from a pulmonologist who deals with this sort of stuff. He did a cat scan which revealed some density in lower right lobe. Said he was treating it like pneumonia. Once again given meds and sent home. took them but i still dont feel right. I went back last thursday (19th april) for a repeat cat scan. By this time both of my shoulders hurt as well as my back and hands tingle altho my left is worse than right. I also have scoliosis so sometimes its hard to tell if its that or if it part of whats going on. But it hurts back to breathe in deeply.
I am still hacking up the phlegm, chest pains, shoulder pain yada yada.
Got results which stated i had unspecified infection/inflammatory of right lung which had started to clear up although i dont feel cleared up. I am also short of breath but i have been for many years now. I have begun to get used to the shoulder pain and weakness although it is irritating.
It is a good idea to go right to a pulmonologist. It could be a number of things so i dont want to lead you into thinking its one thing or another but i wanted you to know my story becasue its so similar to yours. They also found a 4 mm nodule....dont know the details on that yet though. Observing it for now.
The real pisser is that x-rays dont always show things, therefore i dont have much faith in them. Most likely a pulmonologist will put you through the whole battery of tests such as sinus checks, breathing test, possibly cat scan, blood work. It gives you a better sense that things are being done to diagnose you rather than an x-ray and boom thats it.
If you are having a hard time sleeping at night such as i have been you can ask our doctor for an anti-anxiety prescription that has sleep aid in it. I have been so stressed and tired that i no longer could operate, and these pills help it out a bit. But of course thats entirely up to you.
You never said if you have allergies or and lung disorders, smoker etc. Please for your own health get checked out by a pulmonologist, if anything so you dont stress out. Take some otc pain relievers for your shoulder and back pain, advil works good. I wish you the best of luck and make sure u update!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2004, 07:31 PM   #3

Bill Magic HB User

Yeh, our situations seem very similiar.. They told me I don't have any infection because it didn't show up on the blood tests although it seems like some kind of infection/inflammation to me. And yes, I have a lot of allergies and I do smoke although I've cut down a lot.. I will go to a pulmonary like you suggested..
The pain I have in my back and arms is very minimal.. Its more of a funny feeling and as I said it feels like my whole left side is weaker than my right and thats the same side the lung hurts when I take a deep breath.. Thanks so much for the response. I've done so much research on lung disorders and the possibilities are endless as to what it is because the symptoms are very uncommon. (especially the weakness specificaly on the left side)

Old 04-22-2004, 07:51 PM   #4

always confuzed HB User

yep i totally hear ya on how weird it feels. Whew its so nice to have someone to relate to after 2 months of frustration lol. You perked my ears up with the blood tests because they did some on mine and mine were all normal also. Hmmm...wonder if that could be because the infection was unspecified. Altho i have felt that theres more to it that i dont yet know. I was also a smoker, heavy one at that. 2 packs a day for 14 years plus my dad smoked 2-3 packs a day and i had to live in his before i even started.
OMG do not do what i have been doing and doing ur own research you will drive yourself as crazy as i have been driving myself. The whole pain thing and sensations have me more stumped than the rest of it. I was told it could be from the stress of everything, sore joints from being sick (body aches) etc. etc. Ive never gotten a clear answer to that part of it. My lypmh nodes have also been very tener under both armpits but no swelling, o answer to that either.
The whole blood test thing u said only confirms what i thought also. I had always thought if you have an infection that your white count would be higher than normal. All my troubles as far as the lung goes has been with the right lung but alot of my pains minus the chest pain has all been on the left. Strange huh? First im told hes going to treat it as pneumonia but the cat scan said it was unspecified. Gets confusing. Request a copy of everything for they dont always tell you little details that would otherwise bring some understanding to it all. I had to heed that advice from a poster here and was glad i listened. I have read that if there is something in your chest that isnt there normally it can put pressure on something (i forget the term) that will cause weakness...i wanna say something with the heart. I could be wrong though. But that is just info off the net, and who knows how much of what you read is true. Id have thought the doc would have thought of that also if there was any chance of it, i dunno? Hopefully they will give you a cat scan that rules out millions of things, those are way more accurate and reliable than x-rays. More expensive but well worth the money to have peace of mind. Good luck to you i hope everything turns out ok......and make that appointment!

Old 04-23-2004, 02:39 PM   #5

Bill Magic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by always confuzed
yep i totally hear ya on how weird it feels. Whew its so nice to have someone to relate to after 2 months of frustration lol. You perked my ears up with the blood tests because they did some on mine and mine were all normal also. Hmmm...wonder if that could be because the infection was unspecified. Altho i have felt that theres more to it that i dont yet know. I was also a smoker, heavy one at that. 2 packs a day for 14 years plus my dad smoked 2-3 packs a day and i had to live in his before i even started.
OMG do not do what i have been doing and doing ur own research you will drive yourself as crazy as i have been driving myself. The whole pain thing and sensations have me more stumped than the rest of it. I was told it could be from the stress of everything, sore joints from being sick (body aches) etc. etc. Ive never gotten a clear answer to that part of it. My lypmh nodes have also been very tener under both armpits but no swelling, o answer to that either.
The whole blood test thing u said only confirms what i thought also. I had always thought if you have an infection that your white count would be higher than normal. All my troubles as far as the lung goes has been with the right lung but alot of my pains minus the chest pain has all been on the left. Strange huh? First im told hes going to treat it as pneumonia but the cat scan said it was unspecified. Gets confusing. Request a copy of everything for they dont always tell you little details that would otherwise bring some understanding to it all. I had to heed that advice from a poster here and was glad i listened. I have read that if there is something in your chest that isnt there normally it can put pressure on something (i forget the term) that will cause weakness...i wanna say something with the heart. I could be wrong though. But that is just info off the net, and who knows how much of what you read is true. Id have thought the doc would have thought of that also if there was any chance of it, i dunno? Hopefully they will give you a cat scan that rules out millions of things, those are way more accurate and reliable than x-rays. More expensive but well worth the money to have peace of mind. Good luck to you i hope everything turns out ok......and make that appointment!

Yeh what I feel in my left arm and left side is directly related to my left lung. If I have a cigarette it starts flaring up.. I seriously have to quit them but I really need to know what the heck is going on. I think you are right about the cat scan.. I'm still thinking some kind of inflammation is causing some part of the lung to press on some nerves or a passageway in the lung is inflamed and closed possibly causing the gases not to process completely. (the oxygen, carbon dioxide transfer) But I am not a Dr and I really am just speculating.. Good luck with yours too. I'll keep you posted as to anything I learn about this. Maybe we can help each other somehow..

Old 04-24-2004, 06:29 AM   #6

always confuzed HB User

ty bill and you also. I go back the 19th and maybe i will know more then. Keep me posted and let me know if ya need to vent!

Old 04-28-2004, 05:41 PM   #7

Bill Magic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by always confuzed
ty bill and you also. I go back the 19th and maybe i will know more then. Keep me posted and let me know if ya need to vent!
No problem.. No change really and I won't see any Dr for about 2 more weeks..Its very hard to get in to see anyone anymore.. I will keep you posted tho..

Closed Thread