It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User
Post pneumonia pain

Hello again. I figure I'll just post here every so often to see if I can find someone who knows something about my condition.
February 2003-atypical pneumonia high in my right lung
After 3 courses of anitbiotics still coughing and in pain.
I was sent to a pulmonologist who took xrays, put me on steroids and did a breathing test. He then said I should be happy that I'm 90% better than I was initially.
All in all I've had 5 chest xrays, 2 ct scans and an mri which all showed nothing.
I have pain near my collar bone. It feels like the pneumonia or something is still in my lung. It hurts when I breathe and makes me so weak that without pain medication I just lay on the couch.
I went to Pain Management at a big hospital in the big city and the head of the department(with 20 years of experience) was stumped. He has never heard of anything like this before. He tried trigger point injections(5) and a facet block in case it was referred pain from my back caused by coughing when I had pneumonia....no luck. His advice is to wait for medicine to catch up with my pain...research and treatment that is.
In the meantime I'm searching on my own for someone who has this or knows someone who has this. I currently can't function without pain medication and don't want to continue like this forever.
Anyone????
Thanks for reading.-M

Old 05-12-2004, 02:59 PM   #2
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User
Re: Post pneumonia pain

Has chostochondritis been considered? It's an inflammation/injury of the cartilate between the ribs, often due to coughing, also due to a virus. Nothing can be done for it really besides treating the cause, anti inflammatories, rest and heat packs. Have you tried just plain old rest? Is it possible for you to get a full week, possibly even 2, off from work/school/whatever it is? Is it possible for you to take a full week or 2 to just rest? No stressing, no strenuous housechores, very minimal going out with healthy diet.. that may be all that your body needs. What got me through my last bought with pneumonia was THREE weeks off of school. Yup. I was very fortunate to have gotten sick a week before Christmas break, after taking that entire week off, I spent the next 2 laying around and taking things easy..I recovered almost completely from that. However the pain when coughing persisted for about another month.. I would see if you can take a period of time to recover. Your immune system needs energy to recover! take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2004, 08:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Thanks for the response.
I'll do some more investigating..no one has suggested that one.
Basically, that's what I've done since I got sick...rest. Last summer I did nothing but lay on the couch. No camping, no fishing, no baseball, no gardening. It was horrible. I want to have fun this summer which I think I'll be able to do with the help of pain meds but I'd rather just get better!
Thanks so, so much for your input.

Old 05-14-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

I read up on costochondritis and some of the symptoms sound right on like the feeling of not being able to breathe when there's nothing really wrong with my breathing. But, my pain is closer to my collar bone than my sternum and there is no tenderness. I think I'm going to ask to see another pumonologist just to get one more opinion.
Thanks again for your help.

Closed Thread