It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2004, 06:01 PM   #1

DevWilson HB User
Unhappy sulfur taste when i cough please help

I have been having alot of upper respiratory problems in the past year, but this one seems different. It started out with flu like symptoms and pain in the lower back part of my lung. I had a little bit of a dry cough, which didn't really hurt. some of the pain was similar to plurasy which i had about 2 months ago. Well finally i went to the doctor, i don't have a family doctor, it was an urgent care facility where the doctor pretty much breezed in and out of the room hardly even hearing what i said, he said i had an upper respiratory infection prescribed me and antibiotic and sent me home. Well that night my cough started getting worse, and feels warm and tastes like sulfur. It is the worst thing i have ever tasted in my life, the taste gags me. I have read about tonsil stones which are said to taste and smell like sulfur, i have had these, though i never noticed the taste, i don't currently have them. Is it possible to get these further down in the throat, or even the lung? Sometimes when i cough hard the top of my throat gets scratchy like something is going to come up. Also leading up to me getting sick this time and most of the time i have been sick i have had a lump in my throat feeling. If anyone might have a clue what this is please help, i am very concerned.
DevWilson

Old 06-08-2004, 12:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User
Re: sulfur taste when i cough please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevWilson
I have been having alot of upper respiratory problems in the past year, but this one seems different. It started out with flu like symptoms and pain in the lower back part of my lung. I had a little bit of a dry cough, which didn't really hurt. some of the pain was similar to plurasy which i had about 2 months ago. Well finally i went to the doctor, i don't have a family doctor, it was an urgent care facility where the doctor pretty much breezed in and out of the room hardly even hearing what i said, he said i had an upper respiratory infection prescribed me and antibiotic and sent me home. Well that night my cough started getting worse, and feels warm and tastes like sulfur. It is the worst thing i have ever tasted in my life, the taste gags me. I have read about tonsil stones which are said to taste and smell like sulfur, i have had these, though i never noticed the taste, i don't currently have them. Is it possible to get these further down in the throat, or even the lung? Sometimes when i cough hard the top of my throat gets scratchy like something is going to come up. Also leading up to me getting sick this time and most of the time i have been sick i have had a lump in my throat feeling. If anyone might have a clue what this is please help, i am very concerned.
DevWilson
Did the doctor even listen to your chest? If you ever report back to an urgent care facility and you have questions that the doctor hasn't answered, you need to follow the doctor out of the room and assertively tell him that you weren't finished. An urgent care facility is busy, but they shouldn't be busy enough to listen to a patient.

Do you have headaches or sinus problems that you know of?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2004, 08:35 PM   #3

DevWilson HB User
Re: sulfur taste when i cough please help

Well part of my problem is i'm not very agressive. I was having headaches but no sinus problems that i know of. I have deducted what i was tasting was the infection itself, i noticed the taste had gotten worse after i started the antibiotic. I am feeling alot better now and i only taste that every now and then. It was unbearable the night i wrote the post, it was kinda scaring me because i had never tasted anything like that in my life and it just didn't seem normal. Thanks for the reply

Closed Thread