It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2004, 09:49 AM   #1

kay8095 HB User
bloody spit

Hello, have to say this is a wonderful board. Need some advice. About 2 months ago went to family doc and he did a portable CXR in his office which showed a small calcified nodule. Past yearly CXRs were normal. Had a CT scan which was normal.(no nodule) Repeat CXR in May was normal. I am 44, smoked 14 years until "bad Xray" and quit. I have some slight shortness of breath. Now, On May 9, I flew to Alabama and got air sick, threw up some clear phleghm with red blood in it. I am still "spitting" up bright red blood and clear phleghm. Have a dry cough, not often, bloodwork shows anemia(abnormal periods), slightly tired, no weight loss, have some bad teeth the dentist is working on, use nose spray for years. It is like a lump in the throat in the mornings with a bad taste. PFTs are borderline. Went to a pulmonologist, she looked at everything, discussed the blood, she said she would do a bronchoposy but did not feel anything was wrong(less than 40 %) but for me to think about it.
Kind of feel it may be my teeth. Am a registered nurse and am stumped. I do not feel bad and the amount of blood is small(teaspoon) but more blood than sputum. Would appreciate any ideas, suggestions, whatever.
Oh for the smokers being scared worked a miracle from God for me.

Old 06-11-2004, 01:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User
Re: bloody spit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay8095
Hello, have to say this is a wonderful board. Need some advice. About 2 months ago went to family doc and he did a portable CXR in his office which showed a small calcified nodule. Past yearly CXRs were normal. Had a CT scan which was normal.(no nodule) Repeat CXR in May was normal. I am 44, smoked 14 years until "bad Xray" and quit. I have some slight shortness of breath. Now, On May 9, I flew to Alabama and got air sick, threw up some clear phleghm with red blood in it. I am still "spitting" up bright red blood and clear phleghm. Have a dry cough, not often, bloodwork shows anemia(abnormal periods), slightly tired, no weight loss, have some bad teeth the dentist is working on, use nose spray for years. It is like a lump in the throat in the mornings with a bad taste. PFTs are borderline. Went to a pulmonologist, she looked at everything, discussed the blood, she said she would do a bronchoposy but did not feel anything was wrong(less than 40 %) but for me to think about it.
Kind of feel it may be my teeth. Am a registered nurse and am stumped. I do not feel bad and the amount of blood is small(teaspoon) but more blood than sputum. Would appreciate any ideas, suggestions, whatever.
Oh for the smokers being scared worked a miracle from God for me.
Are you coughing up blood or vomiting blood? You lost me somewhere.

Do you take any meds? Did you get a pre- and post-bronchodilator spirometry done when you had the PFTs?

What kind of work are you getting done on your teeth? Are they the top teeth? What you have sounds like it could be sinus/post-nasal drip/allergy related.

Last edited by jerrie97; 06-11-2004 at 01:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 02:57 PM   #3

kay8095 HB User

I don't cough a lot, never vomit. The cough is a dry cough. In the mornings I have a thick draINage in the back of my throat and have to clear my throat alot. When I spit hard or make myself cough is when the blood shows up. Yes, to your question about the PFTs. I am afraid I do not understand them. The doctor said I was borderline(o) for developing EMphysema. My upper teeth are very soft and decayed. I had a back tooth come out completely about 2 months ago. Some minor bleeding noted around my upper teeth, doesn;t look like enough tho. Plan to have them pulled and upper plate made. All of them has fillings. I am on Lipitor for about 2 months now. Is this a possible cause of the blood? No upset stomach, burning, bloating, belching, etc. As I said other than being a little tired(fast paced life) or the anemia, I feel pretty good. Some slight shortness of breath but no more than usual. As I said the doctor is board certified Pulmonologist and did not push the bronchocopsy and did not seem overly concerned. No one has ordered a sputum cytology. Am I crazy to be worried????? As a RN, I know just enough to be dangerous!!

Old 06-11-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay8095
I don't cough a lot, never vomit. The cough is a dry cough. In the mornings I have a thick draINage in the back of my throat and have to clear my throat alot. When I spit hard or make myself cough is when the blood shows up. Yes, to your question about the PFTs. I am afraid I do not understand them. The doctor said I was borderline(o) for developing EMphysema. My upper teeth are very soft and decayed. I had a back tooth come out completely about 2 months ago. Some minor bleeding noted around my upper teeth, doesn;t look like enough tho. Plan to have them pulled and upper plate made. All of them has fillings. I am on Lipitor for about 2 months now. Is this a possible cause of the blood? No upset stomach, burning, bloating, belching, etc. As I said other than being a little tired(fast paced life) or the anemia, I feel pretty good. Some slight shortness of breath but no more than usual. As I said the doctor is board certified Pulmonologist and did not push the bronchocopsy and did not seem overly concerned. No one has ordered a sputum cytology. Am I crazy to be worried????? As a RN, I know just enough to be dangerous!!
Since you're feeling okay right now, I don't think it's anything to worry about too much. But if you start developing symptoms like increased shortness of breath or massive amounts of blood in your sputum, definitely see the doctor immediately. You're an RN, you know that.

Like you, I think this may be related to your dental problems. Once you get them pulled, wait to see if the problem disappears.

You mentioned you are on a nose spray? What's it called? The blood could also be from your sinuses, though if you're on a steroid nasal spray, it'd be unlikely ... but still possible.

Was it a high resolution CT scan that you got?

The shortness of breath could be related to either your anemia or borderline PFT results. The tiredness could be from that too.

Lipitor is a generally safe drug. I don't think it has anything to do with the blood, as it's side effects are primarily gastrointestinal.

Doctors generally don't think to order a sputum cytology unless cancer or a bacterial illness is suspected.

Last edited by jerrie97; 06-11-2004 at 04:56 PM.

Old 07-11-2004, 12:07 PM   #5
(female)

TikkiRo HB User
Lightbulb Re: bloody spit

AT LAST - sorry but I'm just SO pleased to finally find someone else with a similar problem to me. Mine started last year and I posted to every forum under the sun but nobody had ever heard of 'bloody' saliva before. Like you, I sort of discovered mine accidentally, but once I realised it was a constant thing did get a bit paranoid about it. A year on, I still have it, but no worse and have had numerous investigations in the meantime.

My story is almost identical in many ways. I also have the horrendous dry cough, and teeth issues etc - everything just seemed to go downhill last year a few months after I spotted this symptom.

Anyway - what happened in my case was firstly having two sialograms done (2 different hospitals) with identical results - almost completely destroyed parotids but they couldn't determine whether it was the amount of destruction that might account for the symptom or not. However, I also had an initially abnormal ultrasound (basically seems the tech had never seen *** effects on a gland before) which supposedly indicated a 'mass', but was later reviewed and reported as "signs typical of *** destruction of the parotid gland". However, the concern for lymphoma still remains with me, particularly as I tend to have unilateral cheek swelling which can sometimes be a symptom apparently.

But, at that point, I had no nasal symptoms, sinusitis or other obvious reason and my dentist said he could find no source of bleeding anywhere in my mouth, yet the problem continued on. NOW tho, after all this time, I do have obvious sinusitis (so perhaps did have it last year), very definite nasal symptoms etc and have just now been put on a nasal steroid spray. BUT more importantly I have now for whatever reason had occasions when I've 'sprung a leak' in my gum around a particular tooth with heavy bleeding and clotting - so it's certainly in my mind more likely that it's something to do with a mixture of all these problems - whatever it is tho, given the time now without any obvious progression in it I'm content to not worry.

[ removed ] But hopefully my experiences will help alleviate some of your concerns on it all.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-14-2004 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Use this board anonymously, only - no emails.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:13 PM   #6

Kristen H. HB User
Lightbulb Re: bloody spit

I'm only 17, and I don't really have bad teeth problems, other than cavaties, and newly removed braces... But in 7th grade i was diagnosed with Gerd (gastroesophygal? reflux disease), and the past 6 months, the dry hacking coughs have gotten worse. To where I am almost always short of breath. In the morning, I'm clogged with mucus, so i cough it up, sometimes with blood. Sometimes I cough so hard, up comes the blood in mucus. I also blow blood out my nose when this happens. I get Can-ker(?) sores in my mouth all the time, and i'm very sleepy. My mother (an LPN) thinks it's the Acid from the Gerd coming up. But why do i hack and dry heave constantly? It gets worse in the evenings. So, I'm going to the doctors tomorrow to find out what could be wrong. My mother also thinks it could partly be Mono. So I need to be tested for this also. I will keep you updated, if anyone has anything to reply to me, I'd appreciate it.

Closed Thread