It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2004, 06:09 PM   #1

Tepha17 HB User
Post sudden pain when breathing

Hi everyone. I'm new here, I'm a 16 year old girl. I have had a weird problem for the past few years, and no one has been able to figure out what is wrong. I will suddenly get a stabbing pain in my lower right lung. It hurts to breathe too deeply or move a lot. Usually it lasts a few minutes, but it sometimes lasts for over an hour! I am going back to the doctor soon, but in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone else has had this sort of problem. I would love some advice on stopping the pain and any ideas for what it could be. I don't smoke and I'm rarely around anyone who smokes. Oh, and I guess this is important too...I started having the pain when I had a bad cold in the 7th grade. (I was 13) Hope to hear from someone soon! ~Steph~

Old 06-22-2004, 07:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Re: sudden pain when breathing

Steph,
Since that time have you ever had a doctor listen to your lungs or been examined at all? It sounds like pleurisy to me, but I personally have never had pleurisy. I'm just saying that after reading so many posts on this thread. I think it can start after an infection, but then again, I don't really know. I hope someone will respond who knows more than I do. Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2004, 01:57 PM   #3

gordonross HB User

i had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago, i started to feel a sharp stabbing pain when i inhaled, i also had a fever, and it started a few weeks after i quit smoking, although that might be a coincidence. it's a frightening experience, and my doctor suspected stones in my gall bladder but a scan showed there were no stones found. another doctor said it was probably pleuritis, so i was prescribed painkillers to ease my breathing and antibiotics. a week or two later and the problem was gone, i was never told that it definitely was pleuritis, but i think that was the problem. hope that helps

Old 06-22-2004, 10:49 PM   #4
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Actually, I would say that that definitely sounds more like viral chostochondritis.
What tips me off is the fact that you say movement hurts. With chosto, the cartilage in between your ribs is inflammed for whatever reason(virus, injury, etc) & the inflammation can make ya quite short of breath, also make it very painful to breath & hurt with movement.
Pleurisy is an ongoing pain, not something that fluctuates. Pleurisy hurts a ton when you breathe in, but it's a steady, ongoing pain that is only helped by deep breathes & anti inflammatory therapy (well and treatment of the underlying cause). It's a deep in your chest, stabbing, sharp pain when you take a deep breathe. Pleurisy is the inflammation of the thin membrane(the pleura) that lines the lungs. It's triggered by illness mostly, but a little known trigger is asthma also.
Chosto can be a sticky thing to treat, if it's viral that is. Between pleurisy & chosto I would say your best bet for now is to take some anti inflammatories, rest, use heating pads on your chest & practice deep breathing exercises. I have had both chosto & pleurisy & I would say it def sounds like chosto but bring it up to your doctor & see what he says. Good luck.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:34 PM   #5
(female)

foofoo65 HB User

I came out of the hospital after being in a coma for 2 months, at age 32, with pneumonia in the upper lungs, both were almost completely filled. Was only home for a week when i started having pains like that, I wasnt suppose to make it during my hospital stay, I knew I wouldnt get lucky a second time. I was scared to death. It turned out to be a pulled chest muscle, I had never had one before, but if your worried about your lungs, as I was, it can be scary. Since I have friends call me thinking that they are having a stroke or heart attack, That has been the culprit, a pulled muscle.

Closed Thread