It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2004, 10:11 AM   #1

Boogirl HB User
Dull pain when breathing

For the last week I've had a dull and somewhat painful feeling in my upper lungs when I take a deep breath, almost right between or slightly above my breast bone. I also feel it if I bend over or move my shoulders a certain way. I am a smoker and have been for 7 years and I'm 21 years old. My whole life I've always been healthy so now I don't know what to think and there is no way I can afford a doctor right now. I have no fever and I'm not sick at all. I'm in the process of getting medical insurance and now all these things are running through my head. am I going to die? Do I have lung cancer? Do I have heart disease? I've been a worrier about my health in the past and have a great fear of dying which is part of my anxiety so when I've told my Mother about the pain she thinks I'm over reacting and I'll be fine. Would anyone know what this could be? Hoping it could be nothing serious but from reading all the stuff on the Internet I'm freaking out a bit.

Old 07-29-2004, 12:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Dull pain when breathing

You should freak out since you are a smoker -- you do know better, and you can make a conscious decision to quit. My mom died of lung cancer and she definitely suffered. No easy way to put it....and I won't sugar coat what you already know what CAN be an eventual outcome in your future, not at this time.

Go to the doctor, get an x-ray and put it to rest. It could be many things from TB to bronchitis to anxiety to heart disease to indigestion to muscle strain to partially collapsed lung (continual pain, tho).

GO!! No one can diagnose you on these boards, sorry.

Let us know the outcome.
quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2004, 05:19 PM   #3

Boogirl HB User
Re: Dull pain when breathing

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know how bad smoking is and I plan on quitting in the near future. Once my insurance kicks in I'll be going to the doctor for a complete physical but the other night I prayed and the next morning the pain in my lungs disappeared. I feel much better and nothing feels wrong now, but I was very scared the whole week my lungs hurt. I'm so sorry for the loss of your Mother.

God Bless

Closed Thread