It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 10:34 AM   #1

cpc1950 HB User
Trouble Breathing with Light Exercise

I am 29 years old and about 60 - 70 lbs. overweight. In the last 6 months I have lost about 25 lbs mostly through walking and eating healthier. When I first started walking I was getting winded almost immediately. I thought it was because I was out of shape and that it would get better as time progressed. It hasn't. I still get winded very quickly and I am not walking at a very quick pace at all. I can't carry on a conversation with someone while walking without it sounding like I am struggling to take each breath. Is there anything I can do to keep this from happening. When I walk with someone who hasn't walked with me before it is embarrassing because they are constantly asking me if I am ok and if we should stop. I do feel a little short of breath at times but mostly it just sounds like I am out of breath all the time. Is this because I am overweight or is there something else going on? Is there any exercies I can do to strengthen my lungs to prevent this?

Thanks

Old 09-09-2004, 01:22 PM   #2

proudmom47 HB User
Re: Trouble Breathing with Light Exercise

First of all you need to rule out any heart problems with your doctor. It could be because you are still overweight and need to lose more but walking should get a little easier the longer you do it. Also, do you have GERD or any other digestive problems? I have a problem with digestion and if I try to walk after I have eaten a big meal, I get winded faster. I think this is because the fat around the diaghram constricts the lungs so they can't fully expand. I also have asthma, but it's well controlled. How fast do you walk? Maybe you should slow down a little. So to summarize , I would go to my doctor and let him run some tests: heart and pulmonary. You could have exercise induced asthma and all you need is an inhaler before your walk.
Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 07:03 PM   #3

ldolson HB User
Re: Trouble Breathing with Light Exercise

I would think that after walking for six months your body would be in better condition and the breathing would not be as hard. When I started my walking program, it was hard at first. Within a couple of months I found that I could speed up and not be as winded as I was when I started the program. I was also quite a bit overweight. I ended up having shortness of breath and I thought it was due to stress or anxiety. I was misdiagnosed with asthma or allergies and went in for testing to be sure. Come to find out I had some blockage in my trachea and that was what was causing the shortness of breath. I also had to take extra breaths when just talking to make it through a sentence. When you go and see your doctor, have him listen to your throat when you breathe, not just your lungs. The testing for your heart and reflux would be a good idea, also. At least you could put your mind at ease if there is nothing wrong. Good luck!!

Closed Thread