It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2004, 09:50 PM   #1

mziquit01 HB User
Question spontaneous pnuemo-thorax

I had a spontaneous pneumo-thorax 2 months ago. Very painful experience. I was a smoker for 27 years and let me tell you i quit effective the day i went in the hospital. That scared me so bad, it cleared my mind of smoking totally...no withdrawls! Amazing to me yet as i write this. I was in the hospital 5 days with a chest tube. What i now have is this terrifing fear my lung will collapse again. I now have anxiety. I am afraid to do anything, to lift anything. I feel every twitch and i worry. The doctor did not say smoking caused it to happen. It seems this can happen to anyone. What i am having trouble with is...not enough information on this subject. I need someone if at all possible to talk to about this condtion..... thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2004, 11:17 PM   #2
(female)

lanena512 HB User
Re: spontaneous pnuemo-thorax

IF YOU READ MY POST ON "HEY EVERYONE" , WELL MY BABY HAS PULMONARY EMPHYSEMA WHICH IS CAUSED BY SMOKING BUT IN HER CASE IT'S CAUSED BY THE VENTILATOR THAT HELPS HER BREATHE, eMPHYSEMA MEANS ABNORMAL ALVEOLI SAC WHICH ARE INSIDE YOUR LUNG , BUT THERE ARE SOME DIFFRENT KINDS OF SACS WHICH ARE ON THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR LUNGS AND THEY ARE CALLED BLEBS AND WHEN THEY "EXPLODE" THEY CAUSE PNEUMOTORAX , SPONTANOUS PNEUMO OR HEMOTHORAX WHICH IS BLOOD IN THE PLEURA "THE LUNG LINING " BUT IF U DON'T WANT NO MORE PNEUMOS THEN YOU COULD DO SOMETHING CALLED PLEURODOSIS (GLUE TO STICK THE LUNG IN THE CHEST CAVITY) AND THAT WORKS REALLY WELL A LOT OF PEOPLE ON THIS SITE HAS HAD THAT , MY BABY HAS THAT ON HER LEFT LUNG BECAUSE SHE HAS HAD A LOT OF PNEUMOS LIKE EVERY 5 MONTHS SO WITH THE PLEURODOSIS IT HASN'T GIVEN HER ANY PROBLEM NOW WE'RE THINKING ABOUT DOIN HER OTHER LUNG TOO.

SARAH.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2004, 08:34 AM   #3

mziquit01 HB User

Thanks for taking the time to give me info. To think this happens to a baby makes me feel bad to worry for myseslf. It sounds like if this happens once, its gonna happen again....am i right? Take care , you have my prayers..God Bless

Old 10-11-2004, 03:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi,

Yes, it's probable it will happen again.

I had 3 before I was hospitalised. The last one was 80% collapsed, I was tubed 3 times, then had a thoractomy. It did include the pleural abrasion (pleurodisis), plus the lung is basically stitched to the chest wall so that it won't collapse again.

Mine was caused by blebs on the (right side) chest wall. They were stitched as well and the only problems I've had was some air leakage into the area between....a tad painful but there's no way the lung can collapse. During the surgery...the doc noticed that the left lung had a few tiny blebs, but it never collapsed...so, I think I'm in the clear.

I had this all done in Sept 1975.

The only guarantee is to have the thoractomy. The pleurodesis isn't a guarantee either...there have been many cases where it has failed.

If your lung does collapse again...you'll have options available to you....more than just a tubing.

Contrary to your comment about info....there's TONS of info on spontaneous pheumothorax, thacoscopy, thoractomy, pleurodisis (chemical, manual)...etc.

Get really smart on the information in the event that it does happen again. Knowledge allows you to be proactive in your care.

Hopefully, others will be able to give you more input.

Your anxiety is understandable, especially since you've already gone through the dreaded tubing.

How old are you? I'm happy to hear you've quit smoking. What was the reason your doc gave you that your lung collapsed? Are you male or female? Which side collapsed? Are you tall and thin with a short body and long legs?

Do you have regular chest x-rays?

'nuff questions.....;-)

quincy

Old 10-16-2004, 06:18 AM   #5

devonukman HB User

Hi, I had two spontaneous pneumothoraxes a year apart with no treatment 38 years ago. The first one happened after breathing very heavily while pushing a broken down car and the other a year later for no reason at all. I have had no repeats since then and I haved smoked since before all that happened. I have had no lung problems at all since then.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:37 PM   #6
(female)

alwayscurious HB User

My son is 26 and he has had several spontaneous pnuemo-thoraxes. Just recently he had his 15th episode. The 1st which occurred at age 19, was just watched. The 2nd he had the chest tube and it was a horrible experience mainly because of the doctor. The 3rd required a chest tube but he was at college when it happened and it was a different hospital and doctor. This doctor was very compasionate and understanding and Tim, my son, has been dealing with him ever since. He has had the top of both lungs removed due to the presence of blebs, but that has not helped. He does smoke and has tried to quit, but has had no success. (Type A personality) He also goes through the anxiety of wondering when it will happen again. Tim has been fortunate in the fact that he knows exactly when it happens and doesn't panic so the collapse doesn't get worse. He does go to the hospital to see how far the lung has collapsed and is usually sent home to recoup with follow-up x-rays. His wife is a biology major in graduate school and between her and I we have researched all kinds of websites. There really doesn't seem to be any definitive answers on why this happens. There are several treatments that are supposed to decrease the chance of it happening, but from all we can find these tratments don't seem to make a difference with some people. I feel there has to be a reason why these episodes happen and I will continue to research all I can.

Closed Thread