It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lung & Respiratory Disorders / COPD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2004, 03:37 PM   #1

fibrostinks HB User
Excessive Thick Mucous in Throat-- HELP!!!

Hi there. Not sure if anyone on here can help me or not.

I am a 32 yo female. Have had these symptoms on and off for the last several years, but this year they are have incresed and presistent. I have a feeling of thick sticky mucous in my throat that wont move up or down. When by a miracle I CAN get something up, it is clear, sticky, thick and gluelike. The abundance is cyclical througout the day- some times worse than others. Seems to be worse when I eat (anything) and also when I cry or yell. I feel like I constantly have to clear my throat, which is unproductive. Sometimes it feels the mucous is sitting on my gag reflex and It gags me. Sometimes the sensation of the phlegm makes me so nervous because I fear it will block my esophogus and I cant get it up or down. I already drink 3 quarts of water a day and nothing works.

Also: I do NOT have any noteworthy nasal symptoms, no runny nose or congestion, no chest congestion and no cough. This all leads me to believe its not sinus related.

I feel like i am losing my mind. Its affecting my quality of life. Any advice would be helpful. And some reassurance that the mucous wont block my esophogus? Any ideas what this annoyance could be??? Thank you

Old 12-27-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User
Re: Excessive Thick Mucous in Throat-- HELP!!!

Sounds to me like it could possibly be post nasal drip. Try irrigating the nose and drink hot tea. Chicken soup is also good. Cold drinks do not really help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2004, 12:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I think its probably post nasal drip also. I have it really bad. The other day I was driving in my car and I had it so bad. It was really thick, too. I actually had to stop, open my door and spit! One thing I can do is hock it up and spit and it feels great, but not always lady like!!!Drinking lots of water and taking something to thin the mucus helps. Ice cream, sugary sweets and milk, (really any dairy) makes it worse.
Cindy

Old 12-28-2004, 01:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerrie97 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibrostinks
Hi there. Not sure if anyone on here can help me or not.

I am a 32 yo female. Have had these symptoms on and off for the last several years, but this year they are have incresed and presistent. I have a feeling of thick sticky mucous in my throat that wont move up or down. When by a miracle I CAN get something up, it is clear, sticky, thick and gluelike. The abundance is cyclical througout the day- some times worse than others. Seems to be worse when I eat (anything) and also when I cry or yell. I feel like I constantly have to clear my throat, which is unproductive. Sometimes it feels the mucous is sitting on my gag reflex and It gags me. Sometimes the sensation of the phlegm makes me so nervous because I fear it will block my esophogus and I cant get it up or down. I already drink 3 quarts of water a day and nothing works.

Also: I do NOT have any noteworthy nasal symptoms, no runny nose or congestion, no chest congestion and no cough. This all leads me to believe its not sinus related.

I feel like i am losing my mind. Its affecting my quality of life. Any advice would be helpful. And some reassurance that the mucous wont block my esophogus? Any ideas what this annoyance could be??? Thank you
Fibrostinks, I was wondering if you have fibromyalgia. I'm just assuming from your username anyway. Guiafenesin (sp?) has been studied as a potential medication for fibromyalgia. Its brand name is Mucinex. It also helps to thin out mucus, both post-nasal drip and cough with congestion. I think you should ask your doctor about it, because it seems like you could benefit in more ways than one from it.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Have you been checked for GERD? You don't have to have heartburn to have GERD by the way. I had what you had for years and then I have a endoscopy done and found I had silent reflux, my main symptom was having to constantly clear my throat of mucus which was nearly impossible. Mine was worse in the morning do to nightime reflux. Now I do experience the burn after years of not doing anything it is erosive and now this burn is on top of it. I started PPI'S and it has improved the throat clearing. Since I waited so long the GERD had caused airway scaring as well as lung, but at least we are trying to fix it up. top GERD with nasal drip and it is real problem!!

Old 01-06-2005, 01:18 PM   #6

fibrostinks HB User

Nancy,

Since my post I saw the ENT and they scoped me there and he says he thinks it IS reflux. He said my larynx is red and inflamed and has streaking. He has me on Protonix. How long do these things take to work? I see no difference yet.

Thanks for your reply!!!!!!

Its just weird, I find it hard to believe its Reflux. I never heard of redlux causing excess mucous and thick phlegm. Oh well, thats why I dont have my MD.

Closed Thread